Good Dvd, Recorder and Cd Player anyone?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by gordiegords, Feb 4, 2009.

1. gordiegords

gordiegords
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hey folks, I'm surrently building my home cinema setup, for movies, games and music, so far i have a yamaha av363 and whaferdale 9.1 fronts, i'll get the centre and rears later but i would really like a good dvd recorder that aslo is good for cd's, is there mush to look out for here or do dvd recorders not make good cd players?

My budget would be about £150 to £180

Any thoughts would be great guys

Gordie

2. ramjet

ramjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +622
  3. gordiegords

gordiegords
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    That thread wasnt really that much help :rolleyes:

4. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,093
    'Good for CD's' is difficult to quantify.

Provided you have a good quality DVDR then you will get basically good CD sound out it... More than good enough for the variables and shortcomings in the systems that always follow them... but CD playing is a secondary function in DVDR's and so there is much poorer general control in regard to track selection and display etc.... compared to dedicated CD players.

But if it is only sound quality that is the issue... then you'll be OK ... if you stick to the quality end of the market.

5. ramjet

ramjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +622

well I think it was given the nature of this forum and the quality of the recorders on offer

6. gordiegords

gordiegords
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks gavtech:thumbsup:

7. machinehead

machinehead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I gave up my Marantz cd player long time ago.Now all my music goes through my ps3.I even don't have a dvd player anymore.So more space and less wires.

8. gordiegords

gordiegords
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just now i use my 360 as a dvd player, its not bad but i cant be doing with the fan noise!

9. ramjet

ramjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +622
    all dvd recorders like the sony 890 have fans in them , and hdd in the hdd recorders , so some noise is inevitable

use a player if you dont want fan noise or hdd noise

10. ericmark

ericmark
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have found that at least in my area there are loads of DVD recorders going cheap because they don't have built in freeview my Philips cost me less than £100 hard drive and DVD record and days later I saw Daewoo for £70 with bigger hard drive.
    Only problem is once analogue TV stops they will not auto up-date time. Since my Freeview is useless and I use FTA and Sky not having freeview is not a problem.

11. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,093
    That is likely to change after the analogue switch-off.

12. ericmark

ericmark
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Since I can record from TV freeview even when watching a sky channel if freeview did improve I could use it. Although TV needs to be pre-set to channel I want to record and I can't just click and record but have to set times. Saying that unless like my PC the system allows you to record 5 minuits before and after alotted time better off manually setting anyway.
    So £70 without freeview and £200+ with freeview even if not built into TV you can buy a lot of freeview boxes for £130.
    Once I started to use the 6 hours of live TV recording I would not want to return to just a DVD player. Neither would I want something like Sky+ where I can't auto burn recorded programs to DVD.
    I will be interesting to see if we get any extra programs on freeview and if so what. Of the 300+ programs on FTA once one has removed the rubbish you have around a 150 programs and there are some which are not available on FTA which are on freeview UK History, Five US to name two and it seems the one off payment cards are no longer available since Channel 4, E4, and More4 removed their incription.
    But I think although when one first uses any of the services they seem great then you realise the same programs are repeated again and again although on diffrent channels with Sharp for example being aired on UK Drama then UK History. Last of the summer wine on Gold, UK Drama and inspite of 300+ episodes being made I have not seen any which were made after Compo's death except on BBC1. And how many times can you watch Dell boy dressed up as Batman? So although the addition of Filmsformen and Filmsformen2 may seen great in short term one soon realises more channels only really means more repeats. And as to HD although films may have been made in higher quality the programs like dell boy, Compo etc. were not made in HD in first place and it will be like getting a colour TV to watch black and white films on.