Good DVD player for audio?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by RossBurton, Jul 18, 2004.

1. RossBurton

RossBurton
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I'm replacing my current DVD player (Sony S330) and CD player (Technics something or other) with a new DVD player (as my current DVD player doesn't play CDRs). Anyone got any pointers to a good and cheap player (sub-£200) which is suitable for use as the main audio player? I want good audio output, and the ability to control the player beyond play/next/etc from the remote without using a TV would be excellent. Having to turn the TV on to program the player is a pain in the arse, especially when I am recording to my minidisc player and watching the TV... My current DVD player even tells the TV to switch to it when I insert an audio disk, which is a waste of time! ;)

2. Ovation

Ovation

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It doesn't have all the programming features you ask about, and I don't know it's price on your side of the pond, but the Cambridge Audio 540D is a must audition around your price range. It is so good with CD playback that I chose it over the 540C for just that purpose (already have a DVD player for hi-res and movies). Give it a listen and you will not be disappointed.

Here's a link to my experience in choosing the 540D over the 540C as my CD player.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136156

3. Scott_Mac

Scott_Mac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    About the best i've heard without spending silly money is the one i bought - Tosh SD-520E.... it sounds ok with CD, but not a patch on a decent CD Player.

Not sure they make that model anymore though....