Good DSLR hand strap?

Captain_Danger

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I am looking for a decent hand strap for my DSLR. I have actually ordered one from HK, it seems ok, however the mounting bracket which attaches to the tripod screw hole is very plasticy and i'm afraid that at some point that plastic will give way, and I just don't trust it.

I was looking into a metal mount of some kind, perhaps a tripod plate which includes a metal hook to accomodate a hand strap?

Also, as I use the battery grip, is that an issue with weight?

Cheers,

Ben.

Optech

I've been using these Optech straps on my Canon 5dmk2 with grips for a few weeks now and find them very comfortable - and they clip off if I need to remove them quickly..

I don't like neck straps - but wanted something as a 'failsafe' for when I'm carrying the body around.. This does the job perfectly for me :)

I can't have anything going into my tripod mount as I already have a Spider Pro and Manfrotto Tripod bracket attached there - so this was my perfect solution.

Not sure I'd trust the clip on that Optech strap with my DSLR

:eek: :eek: That strap's for a COMPACT camera! :eek::eek:

Agreed that one is for smaller cameras, I use one for my P7100 and it's fine.

I use this strap with my D5100 and D7000 (available cheaper elsewhere).
I'd guess it's this strap that cymruchris meant.

Trevor

The problem I've found with the optec hand strap I have is that it's stretchy and so the camera bounces around if you leave it dangling from your wrist, not a massive issue but doesn't feel very secure. They are comfortable though.

I use the Canon E1 strap on my 5Dmk2 with grip. It copes easily with the weight of that and the 24-70 and even the 70-300 when I'm feeling strong:grin

I was kinda looking for the kind of strap that presses your hand against the chassis of the camera, not really one that just ties around your wrist in case you happen to drop it.

Hi mate, thanks for the reply. Thats actually the exact one that I already have (well the exact same screw in plate anyway) and its made of plastic, and just a metal thread going through it. As I mentioned in the first post, I'm not sure I trust it to support the weight of the camera + lens. :(

:eek: :eek: That strap's for a COMPACT camera! :eek::eek:

Yep - it is.. However I don't like neck straps, so with that around my wrist, it gives me more of an opportunity to catch the camera if I drop it.. (which I've done once in the past)...

I don't let the body hang by the strap..

It's just an emergency measure 'in case of dropping'.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom