Good deals, hard choices (TN vs Dell)

Discussion in 'Computer Peripherals & Consumables' started by whelmed, Jun 17, 2008.

1. whelmed

whelmed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got a hard choice right now, for 170 quid I can get a refurbed Acer model: X243Wbd, P241W, or AL2416WBSD (I'm guessing the P241W is the best bang for the buck).

On the other hand, I can get a new Dell 2408WFP for 320. I've been trying to figure out if the nearly 2x cost is really worth it. Comments, thoughts?

2. whelmed

whelmed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Alternatively, what other 24" LCD IPS/ S-PVA panels are out there that are cheap and worth a look at?

3. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,346
    There's the MB24W which is sold under various brands (In the UK the yuraku version of it is best). It's a VA panel (either the one used in the FP241W or the one used in the Dell/Samsung 24"ers) for about £210 but the electronics and build quality is reportedly rubbish. Apart from that the only 24" VA/IPS screens are £350+. The other option is a 20"-21" 4:3 monitor like the 2007FP since they're 1600x1200 - the non-widescreen version of 1920x1200.

As to your decision it depends on you, a TN is good enough for most people. The flaws are apparent but subtle most of the time. Are you likely to do work where colours need to stay the same? Are you replacing your current monitor because it broke or because the image quality declined too much?

4. Gow87

Gow87

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    As mentioned the yaruko and OCUK monitors are a good deal. The yaruko is cheaper but has a lower contrast ratio and brightness, but its £20 cheaper! and Aria are a fantastic company to deal with (in my experience)

5. Russ

Russ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I think the Yaruko displays are a lottery, My son bought one and it has the TN panel....Be careful there is no indication on the box as far as I know

6. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,346
    Only the 24" MB24W was reported to have the VA panel, the rest of the yuraku range doesn't. Is that the one he bought?

7. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,051
    and just to complicate matters, if you DO need your colours to be consistent, some of the newer 24" monitors are wide gamut which can cause problems if you are using sRGB colour space (most people are)