Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Good Deal at Currys? Samsung LE32R51BD

Discussion in 'Samsung TVs Forum' started by Peritas, Sep 5, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Peritas

Peritas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Samsung 32" High Definition Digital LCD
    Widescreen TV with DVD Recorder & Glass Stand

Take a good look at this outstanding LCD Widescreen TV deal. Enjoy the ultimate in picture quality with DNIE Picture Enhancement Technology plus it's also HDTV ready. With a built-in digital tuner you can receive up to 30 Freeview channels. You can also record in digital quality with the DVD Recorder. It also has DV link input so you can record from your digital camcorder. This package is then made complete with a stylish glass stand!
    Fantastic Low Price!
    Save over £200 - TSSP £1508.98

2. andrewfee

andrewfee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +500
    I'm guessing no. The non-freeview version is around £850-900, and you can pick up a freeview box for £40-80. As for the DVD recorder, I don't know what model it is, but I'm sure it can be had cheaper too. (or you could buy a better one)

3. cucumberuk

cucumberuk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If your interested you can save a further 50 notes by buying from Dixons. Same company, same deal, same stock as Currys, just 50 pounds cheaper. All you need to do is enter DISCOUNT50 in the voucher code box shown on the basket page and voila. However, the code will only work until October 1st.

It worked for me, my LE26R51BD should arrive on Friday. I wish I'd gone to Dixons first up after being messed around with Robertsons and then repeatedly lied to by HomeCinemaTV regarding delivery dates.

(Note: the DISCOUNT50 code will work for anything over £600, and DISCOUNT25 for anything over £300)

4. Paulando

Paulando

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Or enter 100OFF1000_CANDG at Currys, for £100 off £1000.

5. helpneeded

helpneeded

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you want the telly here n now, print off the offer from Dixons and take it into Currys. Thats what I did, and I walked out the shop with the telly at the Dixons offer!

THey may say no at first, but they'll budge eventually

6. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    This offer has to be a good deal, the Samsung receives great reviews in AV mags, the DVD recorder has -Ram capability, arguably the most versatile of all DVD formats for recording i.e. liking having Sky+ lite, plus you get a glass stand to sit the Samsung on. What's to think about, go for it.

7. bri.s

bri.s

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    You can buy the Samsung LE32R41BD version for around £850 online so is an extra £450 worth it for the freeview. It is currys the dearest shop on the highstreet were talking about here, surely this forums is all about avoiding places like that.

8. andrewfee

andrewfee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +500
    Certainly not. You can buy a Freeview box that is better in every regard (Sony VTX-D800U) for about £80.

9. AdiCab

AdiCab
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    You work for Currys, don't you. Admit it......

10. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    So does this Freeview box have HDMI imputs then..?

11. andrewfee

andrewfee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +500
    lol, no, the best you'll get out of a Freeview box is RGB. HDMI is only of use for carrying high resolution pictures. (720p +) The quality difference for a signal like this is negligible.

The signal is broadcast interlaced, so it makes no real difference; the TV's built in de-interlacer will take care of it in both cases.

There might be some signal degradation as it's got to go over the SCART cable, but considering the quality that Freeview is broadcast at, it's not really going to make any difference; certainly not £450's worth of difference.

The Sony box is the fastest Freeview box out there; I've not paid huge attention to the impressions on the Samsung's internal tuner, but most take a second or two to change channels, and are quite slow at bringing up interactive stuff. The Sony is instant with channel changes, has a great guide setup, nice menus etc. I'm not usually a fan of Sony's hardware, but it's extremely good quality.

12. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    My point being this - what are you going to do with your Sony Freeview box when Hi Def becomes the norm on terrestrial. Not everyone buys an new t.v especially at these prices every few years. By buying an HD Ready panel with integrated Freeview you are future proofing yourself in that regard. Make no mistake Hollywood will demand HDCP encryption for future HD content i.e. movies.

13. Moogle

Moogle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    I maybe getting the wrong end of the stick but both the Freedview and non Freeview versions are HD ready. In other words it doesn't matter whether you buy one with the built in Freeview digital tuner or get a seperate Freeview box the TV will still be future proof. It has a built in HDCP compliant HDMI connection regardless of which model you buy.

14. matt_p

matt_p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38

When HD terrestrial becomes the norm, chuck the Sony freeview box. Simple. Integrated freeview tuners aren't going to be able to handle any kind of HD source anyway, so when HD terrestrial becomes the norm, they'll be defunct too... Except you won't be able to throw those away because they'll be inside your telly! Current freeview = mpeg2, HD = mpeg4.

Freeview-integrated tellys aren't future proofing you against anything. They're just a tv, with a freeview box inside the casing, saving you a scart input. Buy a non-freeview one, just daisy-chain your scarts if you run out of inputs (unlikely), and you've just saved yourself x-hundred pounds.

15. busterdan

busterdan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Personally I think it is a crap deal.... if you carefully choose and were prepared to wait I think you could get similar items for just over £1000.

This is a prime example of High Street "mark up"

16. Peritas

Peritas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No I just pasted it from the web site.

Thanks to everyone, for there help. I guess it's not a good deal then. :)

17. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    Well you must do want you want, personally I wouldn't dream of buying 21st Century technology with defunct 20th Century technology included as standard.

Ah the arrogance of youth eh - can you hear them mother?

18. bri.s

bri.s

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    If your still interested the samsung with freeview is now in Makro for £799+ vat you better be quick though they wont last long.

19. alphaomega16

alphaomega16
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,177
    cant tell if thats a joke

If not then he just copied and pasted from currys page.

20. karem_lore

karem_lore
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Samsung LE32R41BD and LE32R51BD are the same screens with a slightly different front bezel. You can get the former for approx £900 online so I would say that the Curry's deal is not good.

Also, the BD at the end indicates that it has freeview, just a B and it is an analogue tuner. BDX do not exist in the LE32 range (exists in LE26 range).

The only advantage to buying locally is if things go wrong...No postage costs.

Karem

21. miketrim

miketrim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    :laugh: Good old Currys! Anything for a laugh

22. busterdan

busterdan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    That is not the case... B/BX are the same as are the BD/BDX

The X does not really denote anything... I believe it is just used in the UK the main thing to be aware of is the difference between the B and BD variants which was correctly described above (analogue/Freeview)

23. karem_lore

karem_lore
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you look here at the Samsung site: http://www.samsung.com/uk/products/television/index.asp then you will see that no BDX exists at all. I wonder if these are imports or something but I doubt it with freeview as that is UK market only...Weird...Maybe Samsung should clarify...

24. busterdan

busterdan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    They are not imports....well they are...in that they were not made in the UK... but the were definately destined for the UK... on the Box I think mine said BD.... on the rear of the TV it has BDX... some people also know them as "The Rome" or "The Greenwich"... it's just the silly naming methods used by Samsung...apart from the differences already discuss... 512/412 fascia difference and the B/BD/analogue/freeview differences..... they are all the same.

25. sooperscoop

sooperscoop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Go to Dixons in my hover car and buy and HD Freeview box for 8000 Euroquarks. Sarcasm aside, HD over terrestrial is far enough away not to give a crap over £80 now.