Good customer service story!

breakersrevenge

Prominent Member
Reaction score
We often hear of bad customer service from companies, but don’t really hear of any good ones!
So here is mine. . .

We have a Dyson DC08 vacuum cleaner, a few months ago the motor burned out, rang Dyson customer service and was told that the cleaner was a month out of guarantee, but they would replace the motor FOC!! Great almost a new cleaner!!!
Then..
Just before Christmas, a plastic clip that holds the cylinder to the main body of the cleaner snapped due to me knocking the cleaner in the wall while I was carrying it!!!

Once again, I rang Dyson customer service, they had my details, they knew it was out of guarantee and they said ‘OK, going to send you a new one’ But instead of sending me a new clip, they sent me a new plastic cylinder!!!!

If anyone on the forums works for Dyson - Thanks!!!!!

Any similar stories to share?

They only recently started doing the five year warranty, it was probably 2.

I had a similar experience with my old one which was 18 months old, I really threw it around and I have 2 dogs so it was used constantly.

I got a new cylinder, hose and motor so effectively a brand new Dyson.

Was a 2 year guarantee, so 2 years!!

Bravo! I have to applaud Sainsbury's on their customer services too. Whenever I've had issue, they're very keen to see it resolved amiably and I have actually had a telephone call off their manager before to personally apologise for an in-store issue.

In fairness to dyson , they seem to be fairly good with CS . There was a thread not so long ago where someone was given the new hand held vac due to inconvenience with the new big washing machines

With all due respect to all doting Dyson owners I'd rather they needed no CS dept. at all.

Nothing in life is perfect and a small amount of products failing early in life is acceptable (even for the most expensive items). Only if it happens on most of the products should we complain (Xbox 360 springs to mind).

All companies should have a CS department.. but they should preferably be small and covered in dust and cobwebs. With one elderly, all-knowing member of staff wearing carpet slippers, manning the tea pot and always at the ready. (just in case the phone should ring from a customer wishing to thank the company for 75 years of unbroken service from their cheapest product) :D

All companies should have a CS department.. but they should preferably be small and covered in dust and cobwebs. With one elderly, all-knowing member of staff wearing carpet slippers, manning the tea pot and always at the ready. (just in case the phone should ring from a customer wishing to thank the company for 75 years of unbroken service from their cheapest product) :D

Wasn't that an old Carlsberg advert???;)

We keep getting calls about Thompson freeview boxes. Somehow their automated system thinks that an entirely different company would be the ideal place to handle queries on a product that we have no interest in, and subsequently directs the calls to us.

Maybe their CS department is small and covered in cobwebs because they havent figured out yet thet they have been giving everyone the wrong number.

My good customer service experience:

I once asked for half a pint of beer but the barmaid didn't hear properly and before I knew it she had poured a whole pint. I told her I said half a pint, she apologised then charged me for only half a pint. :thumbsup:

What a life I lead...

Back to vacuum cleaners :
Last month our faithful Henry vac stopped working , faulty on/off switch.
I could see that replacement switches were available from various online sources for 5 or 6 quid with postage.
I decided to phone Numatic (the manufacturers) to see if there was a local source for spares and the chap who answered then asked me a couple of questions in order to ID the correct switch type (they used 2 types on this model).
He then asked for my name and address and promised to send me one. I was waiting to give credit card details but then he said "no charge".
Sure enough 2 days later the replacement switch for our 6-year old Henry arrived, with no money changing hands.
Only tool 15 minutes to take the vac apart and fit too - very sensible logical design.

The episode has restored my faith in (at least some) British companies.

Chris Muriel, Manchester

Nobody suggested that CS should be automated. Or sent to India.

Your most needy customers, most angry customers, most frustrated customers, most worried customers, most irritated customers and most impatient customers are always those in greatest need of loving care and attention. It takes a truly sick business mentality to export those customers to a "foreign" call center. Or an automated telephone queuing system with hideous, jingly musak.

The Post Office once gave us a new home telephone number. One which matched that for a large, private cleaning agency in the next city. An agency which was forever seeking recruits. Their half page ads in the local paper (to which we did not subscribe) always failed to mention the dialing code. They merely gave the telephone number with the name of the city.

Now there's an exercise in frustration after a hard day at the slave market! By the time the sixteenth moronic applicant had interrupted my evening I had become immensely creative. :devil:

In fact I was having so much fun that I completely failed to realise that I could have started my own competing agency. Without the need to spend a brass farthing on advertising for recruits. Though sadly, my agency would have been staffed only by those who had never heard of dialing codes or even enjoyed any degree of articulacy in their mother tongue. So, in retrospect, I may well have been severely handicapped from the start. Perhaps the agency really knew what they were doing and were applying strict grading of their potential staff at my expense? :rolleyes:

I won't hear a word said against Dyson.Our first Dyson did give up at about 7 years old.We built a large extension and it was used after demolition works,rebuilding and replastering.It was amazing it made it through to the end.We bought another as we were so impressed,with a five year warranty.About a year ago,while this machine was still one month inside it's warranty the motor started overheating and cutting out intermittently.Within a couple of days an engineer arrived and stripped the machine down.A very pleasant chap who thought there was the odd part looking a little worn,some that were slightly scratched,others that looked less impressive than they should,and so on.I swear that by the time that he had finished we had a brand new machine with not one original part on it!Then he hoovered up after himself,wished us a nice day and left.If I could receive a fraction of that service from any other company they would have my business for life,as Dyson now do!

The Dyson engineer that fixed our cleaner even put in a new filter, he said it didn't really need it but put one in anyway!!

This reminds me of my wife clambering up the scaffolding with her Vax to vacuum the roof after I removed the old fiberglass. :eek:

The damned thing never worked well after that either. :rolleyes:

Another thumbs up for Dyson from me. I have experienced exceptional customer service (i.e. beyond what you would reasonably expect) only 3 times during my entire adult life, and one of these was Dyson, who collected, repaired and re-delivered ours in 48 hours.

In fairness to dyson , they seem to be fairly good with CS . There was a thread not so long ago where someone was given the new hand held vac due to inconvenience with the new big washing machines

Another thumbs up for Dyson from me. I have experienced exceptional customer service (i.e. beyond what you would reasonably expect) only 3 times during my entire adult life, and one of these was Dyson, who collected, repaired and re-delivered ours in 48 hours.

Here you go. . still awaiting the new drum mind you! http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=509694&highlight=dyson :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom