Good choice or Bad Choice?

Alfa Male

Standard Member
Sadly my ears are not what they used to be. They look the same, just don't work as well. That means I'm thinking about selling my hi-fi as my ears don't justify it anymore. Instead I'm going to upgrade my all-in-one Samsung HT-C5500 surround system and get a better TV.

I'm looking at secondhand components and would be grateful if someone would tell me whether the following is a decent choice please?

Pioneer BDP LX52 Blu Ray player
Denon AVR 1611 7.1 AV receiver
Acoustic Energy full speaker system

It's all quite old but in perfect working order. Will it look/sound appreciably better than my current budget set-up? I don't know much about home cinema so any input gratefully received. TIA

ShanePJ

AVForums Sponsor
Acoustic Energy full speaker system
Do you know what level these speakers are as you may find that the 1611 might not have whats required of it as it is a entry level model. As you are looking at older units, maybe the 2500 would be a better suit (again depending upon the level of speakers). The Blu-ray player is fine and better than where the avr sits

Upvote 0

Alfa Male

Standard Member
Do you know what level these speakers are as you may find that the 1611 might not have whats required of it as it is a entry level model. As you are looking at older units, maybe the 2500 would be a better suit (again depending upon the level of speakers). The Blu-ray player is fine and better than where the avr sits
Thanks for the reply.... I did a bit of research on the items (they are all from different sellers) and the Pioneer was quite expensive new. I don't know much about Denon but know the name is respected for AV stuff and the reviews seemed to indicate it has a good sound, just without many extras... The speakers are a mixed bunch but all by AE. The two fronts are AE120 floorstanders but not sure about the others - the centre looks like half a 120 on its side and the rears look like half size 120s as well - they might be 100s. They were bought as a matched set so assuming they're meant to be together.

Upvote 0

ShanePJ

AVForums Sponsor
I'd say as a minimum the 2500 from Denon as those speakers should really have an amp worth £500+ (when new), this is still true if you don't feel you're going to benefit from them as the extra headroom will treat the speakers better. Don't forget the subwoofer either as with cinema, you really want to use one. As you are looking at the secondhand market, I'd say any avr which was £500+ should be the minimum

Checking the classifieds on these Forums, there is a Yamaha which should fit the bill better than the Denon's. If you are looking for cables to connect everything together, don't forget our Fisual line as many on these forums will vouch for their quality and performance at a budget price point

Upvote 0

Alfa Male

Standard Member
I'd say as a minimum the 2500 from Denon as those speakers should really have an amp worth £500+ (when new), this is still true if you don't feel you're going to benefit from them as the extra headroom will treat the speakers better. Don't forget the subwoofer either as with cinema, you really want to use one. As you are looking at the secondhand market, I'd say any avr which was £500+ should be the minimum

Checking the classifieds on these Forums, there is a Yamaha which should fit the bill better than the Denon's. If you are looking for cables to connect everything together, don't forget our Fisual line as many on these forums will vouch for their quality and performance at a budget price point
I'll have a load of Audioquest cables free once the hi-fi is sold so can use those, will just need decent HDMIs....... Speaker-wise, at the other end of the spectrum in terms of size, I've been offered a set of Tannoy SFX with active sub (been repaired apparently) for only £90. They look tiny but reviews suggest the sound is good. My music system uses wonderful old Tannoys so I'm familiar with the name but these appeal in a way as they'd be less obtrusive. Would they match well with the 1611?

Upvote 0

ShanePJ

AVForums Sponsor
I'd say if your ears are not what they were, then going smaller will narrow your audio spectrum further and could exacerbate the issue with you having to turn it up which ultimately makes it noisy and less audible, thus you end up trying to find out how to gain more information from the speakers which have hit the end of their ability, so wouldn't recommend it even though the price look attractive

Upvote 0

Alfa Male

Standard Member
I'd say if your ears are not what they were, then going smaller will narrow your audio spectrum further and could exacerbate the issue with you having to turn it up which ultimately makes it noisy and less audible, thus you end up trying to find out how to gain more information from the speakers which have hit the end of their ability, so wouldn't recommend it even though the price look attractive
Thanks again for your help. I've spent a few days getting up to speed on options and here's my revised list:
Pioneer BDP LX52 player - already bought
Denon AVR-X2300 receiver
Tannoy Arena 7.1 speakers

The sitting room is 18ft x 15ft with sofa right in the middle. Am I getting closer to something worthwhile now?

Oh, I'm not going deaf (pardon) it's just the nuances and high frequencies are slowly disappearing!

Upvote 0

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom