1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good camera for short films

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by ewizac, Aug 10, 2005.

1. ewizac

ewizac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all, I'm doing a short film for a up and coming festival in my area. I have my heart set between 2 camera for this movie, which one would you guys say is better? The Sony DCR Vx1000, or the Canon Gl1, also does anyone know a cheap place to get one of them? (around 750 USD).
    Thanks

2. Roy Mallard

Roy Mallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The VX1000 is a fine camera, can hold it's own even today (many people still use them) it has audio level control (albeit very basic) and various exposure programme modes (though frustratingly no full manual mode) it has nice big 1/3inch ccds and is pretty intuitive to use, however there are tow slight variations on this model of cam, the early models suffered from 'jaggies' and could not be chipped for DV-In, so if you can track down a later model (you can tell by serial numbers, You may need to do a google to get the correct numbers to look for)

The camera could also be as much as 10 years old, and faults are usually pretty fatal given the cost of labour.

The GL1 is a cracking wee cam with more control than the vx1000 but smaller ccd's (1/45inch) & no manual audio control (there is attentuation but this does not override the auto gain) the lenses on these cams are first class flourite with a nice powerful zoom and this cam was DV-In as standard, they are also more recent.

Look also at the Panasonic MX3000, diminutive but feature packed, with full manual everything. Never had quite the kudos of the sony or the canon but is a very fine little cam. Ebay probably is the best place to look, or if you want some form of guarantee try b&h used section.

3. ewizac

ewizac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good info! Okay, say I were to extend my camera interests further than just the vx1000 and gl1, any cameras you guys prefer with the same quailty as one of those?

4. Roy Mallard

Roy Mallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Sony TRV900 was a great wee cam, I ran one very happily for a few years up until quite recently.

Avoid the TRV950. Any of the Panasonic MX's (the orginal 3ccds before the GS line) are good, avoid the 100 & 110, but the more recent models are all good, the thing is that they do look like consumer cams, the VX1000 and GL1 look a bit diffferent which may make a better impression for anything you are doing.

If you wanted to go to extremes then Canons XL1 and Sony's VX9000 are good cams, but again they are getting old now, should anything go wrong then you could have a prohbitively expensive repair bill on your hands.

More recent cameras like the VX2000 and XM2 may also be options as people ditch their SD cams for HDV.

Speaking of which, have you looked at the Sony HC1?, it's more than your budget, but it will have a longer shelf life, will be a brand new (more reliable) unit.

As more and more folk turn HD then your films may look a little 'standard' in comparison.