Good camcorder for low-light conditions

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by shahvikram123, Jan 29, 2009.

1. shahvikram123

shahvikram123
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi I'm looking to purchase a new camcorder, I previously had a JVC GZ-MG21ek, but am unhappy with the picture quality in low light conditions (e.g living room in evening)

I've been doing some research as to what I should be looking for and have learnt that the CCD's can effect video quality in low light conditions.

However I don't understand whats better, having more CCD's (having 3 CCD's instead of 1) or having 1 CCD which is bigger (CCD which is 1/3 vs one that is 1/6 for example.)

Additionaly which company makes the best camcorders (i know thats kinda of subjective but just wanted some peoples opinions), I've heard that Panasonic and Canon are the best to go with.

Edit: forget to mention I'm looking for a HDD camcorder...

2. RenaultSport

RenaultSport

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
    One big cmos/ccd is better than 3 smaller ccd's/cmos. The panasonic SD9 and its HDD equivalent dont fare too well in low light simply becuase they use 3 small CCD's which dont let enough light in.

The Canon HF100 and its variants are considered fairly good in terms of low light for the price ( but bare in mind its 150-200 quid more than the panasonic depending on where you look)

3. shahvikram123

shahvikram123
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, thanks for the reply,

so just to confirm will the Canon HF100 (1/3.2 CMOS) be better then an average camcorder with 1CCD which is 1/6 in low light conditions.

Is there anyway I could try out the HF100 before buying it just to make sure its right for me?

4. A n d r e w

A n d r e w

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +242
    Yes.
    Find a seller who has a generous returns policy.

5. Zaichik

Zaichik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +702
    Or buy online and use the Distance Selling Regulations. I doubt you'll be returning it, though.

I got some stunning footage of my son in the ball pool on my HF10 this morning. Now I've got used to the various settings for different light levels, I love my cam.

6. Mr Lazy

Mr Lazy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    Also take a look at the HD videos shot with the HF100 on www.vimeo.com to make sure you're happy with the picture. Having said that, the videos are "only" in 720p rather than 1080i and they will always look better on your own HDTV compared to a website, so just bear that in mind whilst viewing.