Good bye ATi...

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by SuperSaiyan4, Aug 8, 2006.

1. SuperSaiyan4

SuperSaiyan4
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
  2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,166
    I wonder if now AMD has consumed ATI whether they will continue to develop highend graphics? It's fairly obvious AMD purchased ATI to achieve an injection of graphics knowledge so they could challenge Intel - however does that extend to maintaining a highend graphics line?

If not that just leaves us with Nvidia and, whilst I always tend to get Nvidia GFXs, a lack of competition would be very bad for PC gamers. Prices would shoot up and technological advances would slow.

3. semiskimmed

semiskimmed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +259
    wow, just wow......:eek:

4. SuperSaiyan4

SuperSaiyan4
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    I am very sure AMD will ensure the graphics side continues to be as good as it has been with ATi. Dont forget the brand is changing not the actual product...I hope :rolleyes:

In any case I am looking forward to my next purchase if ever need be a nice new AMD Radeon :D

5. JamesOD

JamesOD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    So does this mean that the new cards will not work with intel systems?

6. SuperSaiyan4

SuperSaiyan4
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Now thats a very good question.

That would mean AMD in an Intel system in a way emm...I dont think Intel would go out of there way to put a block on a graphics card do you? But then if they allowed the competition to reside on their motherboards that would be a very interesting take on what Intel intend to do...

I can see it now:

AMD RADEON not supported

:rotfl:

7. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    And when Intel buys up Nvidia the PC moves to a 'whole platform' market place. :thumbsup:

8. james.miller

james.miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    i've said this on another forum - i sware to god im the only person who actually read the press releases lol.....

it was known from day one that ati's names would be dropped. its been on AMD's site since july 26th

9. WelshBluebird

WelshBluebird

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    I severally doubt it. That would just be financial suicide.
    Intel still has more market share than AMD (CPU market) and for AMD (ati) to only let their graphics cards work with a minority of the market is just stupid.

btw, AMD (ATI) is still making the RD600 (CrossFire Xpress 3200 Intel Edition) chipset which will support the Core 2 Duo CPU's. This is actually a very inteligent move, as even if a customer buys an intel chip, AMD will still be able to make money from them (motherboard or GPU sales).

One thing I do wonder, if this will mean the infamous drivers for ATI cards will get better?

10. zedzed

zedzed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    IMHO

Short term (<18 months): No
    Long term: Yes

By tightly integrating GFX, CPU and motherboard there would likely be (a) performace gains, and (b) cheaper systems (compatibility can be dropped!).

And if you could buy an AMD "all in one" system which performs 10% better (say) than an intel/nvidia combination and is 10% cheaper (say) ... which would you go for? I think this is where AMD will try and take things.

Dez

p.s. Remember, GFX are likely to be even more important now that Vista is on the way (which despite the bad press, shocking inability to deliver on time, etc. will still be the No. 1 OS in 3 or 4 years time). So I can see AMD trying to get into the corporate desktop market - where Intel traditionally dominate.

11. semiskimmed

semiskimmed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +259
    if they do that, amd all in one and intel/nvidia all in one it will surely split the gaming market as games will be specifically made for each side, that will suck the biggest 'bags ever too.

12. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    It wont happon. While In**l could buy Nvidia with their pocket change they would be blocked by the American monopoly's commission.

I hope that it all works out for AMD/ATI and they can then challange In**l in more markets because this will improve competition and drive advances therefore making our lives more interesting and cheaper :clap: Its a shame that the ATI brand is being dropped but I will be happy to buy a AMD Radeon. Ive owned every series of Radeon since the first 3*3 pipeline Radeon came out.

Long live AMD/ATI :thumbsup:

13. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    I also don't think Intel will go after Nvidia either but there is another dark horse under starters orders here and that's IBM. Nvidia know about graphics and what the game engines and graphic subsystems of OS will need. IBM have the R&D clout, fabrication facilities and are makeing inroads in the console markets, could be a match up there making 3 big platform (both PC and console) producers. You end up with Intel/AMD/IBM as powerfull, full platform producers and if that happens watch your ass Sony. :cool:

14. apolloa

apolloa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,313
    I've read the reports on this and the buzz from the start is that AMD are adament to slap there names on ATI's GFX chips, this is NOT a good thing. If they start to develop technology that only works with the AMD graphics and CPU's then there won't be as much competition and you'll be forced to buy there products which is ALWAYS a bad thing as the consumer may loose out.
    It was happy the way it was with Nvidia against ATI and Intel against AMD. I'm predicting high sales for AMD in a few years due to forced technology on us, I.E. to use that you MUST buy this from us as well.
    I also think that AMD will just charge the same now as equivalent Intel, Nvidia hardware as they are chasing profits and market shares just like everyone else as we have already seen it in the AMD CPU's price increases.
    I think the real reason for the buyout of course is for chipsets, AMD don't make them, they rely on Intel, Nvidia and ATI, now they have it all, GFX, chipsets and CPU's under the one brand name they'll be offereing to the likes of Asus etc who make both motherboards and GFX cards but at what cost?
    They've certainly come a long way since being an underdog chip maker.

Call me old fashioned if you want but personally I prefer a choice in what I buy regardless of who makes it.

15. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Keep in mind that IBM are beyond 'making inroads'. They're manufacturing the CPUs for all three next-gen console. PowerPC derivates for the 360 & Wii, and Cell for the PS3.

16. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    Yeah, I knew this but as only one of the three is actually on sale I thought 'inroads' would be a good phrase to use. :D Many are frowning over this possible outcome but I'm not so sure. If you think about it 3 powerfull full platform producers are great for competing. They will have to deliver across the board (CPU/Graphics/Memory subsystems) and can get the scale to lower price points. Could be the best move ever. :thumbsup:

The point has been made that the game producers will end up fine tuning for a given platform but when all said and done they have to produce to run on Vista so only a finite amount of tuning can be done. When we have the flexabiity and power of the PC merged with the stability of the consol format then for me the consumer wins.

17. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86