1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good but cheap cans for games req'd

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by gargoyle, May 25, 2004.

1. gargoyle

gargoyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I currently use two pcs, one for the mundane stuff like printing, downloading music, burning etc and I'v hooked up a pair of sennheiser hd470's to this setup which is more than adequate to the task, the other pc is purely for gaming and viewing dvd's so therefore is hooked up to 5 full size bookshelf speakers which I'm more than happy with but I'd like a pair of headphones suited for pc games - does such a beast exist or do I just plump for the best cans I can afford - my budget is £55.

2. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +567
    Beyerdynamic DT-231 Galactic is, IMO, good value at £45. Or alternatively you could go up to £65 and get some Grado SR60s. (Or something second hand).

3. gargoyle

gargoyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Thanks for the pointers nic, I'll be checking out your recommendations later on today whilst I'm in the city centre, I'll let you know how I got on when I get back.

4. WhyAyeMan

WhyAyeMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +276
    Probably might be best off with a pair of Sennheiser HD212's, lots of gamers swear by them... I wouldnt go with SR60's for gaming because they dont have very good positioning.

5. gargoyle

gargoyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Thanks for the input people, I demoed two models, the Beyerdynamic dt-231, and the sennheiser hd 212 - my conclusion? the beyerdynamic is a superb set which I was well impressed with delivering much better clarity and depth than my sennheiser 470's but more siuted to music, the sennheiser hd 212 is an ugly piece of equipment but steers sound superbly and is the ideal candidate for the gaming enviroment so I plumped for both cans with the beyer's being used for music.
    :smashin:

6. boodi

boodi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    PHILIPS HP890
    no match for the price

7. subnet_rx

subnet_rx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the review :)

8. jessykay

jessykay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys this is craxy has some one tried purchase grado from eBay i did.. rs1 for 400 wOW retail price 750GBP... why not buy stuff like that.. any comments?

9. image165

image165

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have a pair of HD212 Pros, so I thought I'd add my opinion. I personally am very happy with them. The sound quality is fantastic, particuarly the bass which is very solid. The headphones are very comfortable to wear, and don't squeeze your head at all (unlike some models). The earpieces fit perfectly around your ears, cutting out a lot of background noise. They really take the treble out of a whirring computer fan, allowing you to relax and enjoy your music.

You should be able to buy a pair of HD212 Pros for about £36.

10. Dunedin397

Dunedin397

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What sort of form factor are you looking for? I see the Sennheiser HD470s are of the lightweight style, but would you consider full size headphones, do you need a mic?

I've recently bought the Sennheiser HD555s from Play.com at £59.99 and I think they're fantastic. They're a circum-aural design, so they sit around your ears and there's plenty of detail and bass but the stereo image is very wide which is great for games. I'm using them with my PS2 mainly with some TV and DVD watching thrown in.

Dunedin