Good budget player for £40 - £50?

PlasmaVirgin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My mum is still yet to join the world of digital media so I'm looking to get her a DVD player for xmas. Can anyone recommend a good DVD player for around £40?

Her TV only has SCART input so HDMI/component is not particularly an issue but it would definitely be handy if it could handle XVid file playback. I don't want to spend too much but would like a decent quality player so want to avoid the £19.99 Asda type of offers!

I've heard that Sony and Toshiba are pretty good at this price point, so would be really grateful if some of you guys could recommend some models and prices for me to check out. I'm more than happy to buy off the Web if it means getting a decent player for a good price.

Thanks in advance. :thumbsup:

Surely someone has some recommendations / advice for this price bracket? :confused:

Toshiba SD 260 or 360 from richer sounds isn't a bad deal, from £29.99 to £59.99.

Thanks for the reply. I read a few reports about 260's being of dubious build quality and breaking down which put me off a bit. Any ideas if there is any truth in this?

Any other recommendations for my shortlist?

Anyone? Surely there are DVD players out there for £40 or £50 which are half decent? Someone was telling me that Sony got decent reviews in Which magazine recently but I don't know which model that would be. Any ideas?

Anyone? Surely there are DVD players out there for £40 or £50 which are half decent? Someone was telling me that Sony got decent reviews in Which magazine recently but I don't know which model that would be. Any ideas?

Go into Lidel supermarket and get there dvd player for £30.00 it will do the job just fine, You also get a 3 year warrenty.

Thanks for the reply. I read a few reports about 260's being of dubious build quality and breaking down which put me off a bit. Any ideas if there is any truth in this?

Any other recommendations for my shortlist?

i retail the 260 in my store and i sell millions of em.

never had one back, its a great player for the cash, if you can stretch to the 360 its also a cracker

i retail the 260 in my store and i sell millions of em.

never had one back, its a great player for the cash, if you can stretch to the 360 its also a cracker
can the 260 be made multiregion?

It's supposed to be able to using a hack but I couldn't get it to work on mine for the life of me.

I just swopped my 330e for a 360e (as it has an hdmi connection for my new telly). Both have been exceptional.

You can have my old one for £30 plus p&p. No guarantees, but it was faultless. Bought multi-region from new and as new with the remote.

Graham

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom