1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good,bad or just plain ugly?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Bushb@by, Jun 30, 2002.

1. Bushb@by

Bushb@by

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK so I want it all for as little money as possible! (well not quite all)
    I'm looking for a flatscreen 50 hz 28" widescreen for the miserly sum of £500.

My choices so far are-
    Thomson 28F25UG -£499
    Sharp 66GF63H - £499

I had heard that the Sharp stretches all digital broadcasts to widescreen, which would be a bit of a bummer- I'm waiting for a reply from Sharp on that one.

Are either of these worth buying or are they absolute shockers. I'm getting desperate, - currently living with a 12yr old very blurry 21" Matsui.
    Many,many thanks.

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Quite like the look of the Toshiba

3. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Bushb@by,
    The Thomson is a good choice.
    Shop around there are others for £500.
    Toshiba 28Z13B better.
    :eek: Wouldn't shortlist that particular Sharp product.

4. monkeynuts

monkeynuts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    There is a new range of toshiba TV's out shortly so the Z13B is discontinued and maybe had for a lot less. There is a new model called the 28z23b which is already down to £439 on unbeatable and available sometime this month.....
    Toshiba wesite is useless and when i ordered a brochure i got the winter 2001/2002 one.

Could you put a post on here if you do get a TV as i'm looking for one at exactly the same spec/price as you.

Cheers
    The monkey with the nuts

5. Bushb@by

Bushb@by

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ta for the help, I'm pretty struck on the Thomson, but it's dead bulky round the back. The husband's keen on lcd (so am I , if I'm being honest), but there's nooooo way we can afford it right now, we may wait for lcd prices to drop and get a cheapy, to tide us over , rather than spend £500 on something that might not be quite right. But going to check out Toshiba anyway.

Who'd have thought buying a TV would be such bloody hard work.

6. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Toshiba 28W23B not in same class as 28Z13B.
    It's a Turkish clone same as Hitachi version, except on/off switch is a different shape, it also comes with only a pedestal stand not a cabinet.
    Buy a bargain priced Toshiba 28Z13B, that's a good set, originally designed to sell at higher RRP than the new models, hence better build quality.

7. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just purchased a Tosh 28Z07B from www.buyyourav.com for £529.99, including open cabinet, VAT and delivery. It is priced at £549.99 on the website, but I rang up and they quoted a cheaper price, which was nice, considering it is £698.99 from Comet (HSP).

It has Dolby Pro-Logic surround (includes external rear speakers), 3 SCARTS, flatscreen and has more inputs than you can shake a stick at, including component video inputs. It was great for the World Cup, but really comes into its own with DVD's, especially cranked up to the max with Terminator 2!!

AJ :D

8. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sound and vision have a sale on, good selection of most makes at knockdown prices. 01204 861861. (i am a very satisfied customer)

9. Bushb@by

Bushb@by

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Monkeynuts - I'd rule out the Sharp 66GF63H ,it has a 4:3 option for traditional broadcasts on analogue tv, but when connected to a digibox (rgb) you only have the option of 16:9 - if a programme hasn't been made in widescreen, then it will be stretched to fit!

10. monkeynuts

monkeynuts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Thanks for the advice, thanks for explaining that strange model!
    I like the idea of the 28Z07B but i have no need for any rear speakers as i have a Marantz sr6200 all wired up already.......but i like the idea of component video in as my DVD player has component outs!
    Is there much of difference quality wise between the 28Z07B and the 23z13b?
    If not i'll put up without component inputs.
    Thanks again
    The monkey with the nuts

11. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    gringottsdirect

so this new tosh model's no good then?

12. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    It's just not as good as the older model, compared to some other sets its not that bad.

13. monkeynuts

monkeynuts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Having popped into town today and visited the dreaded sony centre, i saw there latest deal:-
    Sony KV28FX65 with a 5 year extended warranty and stand for £700.

Now i've read all the problems regarding this set, but buying from a shop still seems safer than off the net due to the hassle regarding the return of faulty goods etc....

Has anyone purchased an extended warranty with their TV off the net? As i'd still like to buy something cheaper off the internet and www.buyyourav.com as previously recommended seem to do some good deals.

Cheers
    The Monkey with the Nuts

14. Bushb@by

Bushb@by

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We too went out tv shopping today, we just happened to be looking when most of the shops were showing this dodgy looking quiz programme, which had the questions on an onscreen grid. Didn't half show up the geometry of the sets in a bad light, wavy lines, dodgy blurred corners and this wasn't just the cheap sets! If the experts? can't set these things up right then what chance have us poor mortals got!
    Anyway we decided to go with our original plan, and bought a cheap (and probably nasty) Bush (dead appropriate really!) £230 28" nicam widescreen, with the idea of waiting for Lcd to become more affordable.
    The Bush seems fine, although almost anything would be better than what we had.
    Regards
    Kaz