Good AV Reciever for under £250 in the UK

Divardo

Standard Member
Reaction score
Out of all the AV Recievers currently avaliable in the UK (especially on the Richer Sounds website) which would you recommend for £250 or under.

Thanks

Can you stretch an extra £50?

The Sony STRG820 is a nice receiver for that price with a shed load of features including High def processing.

The Denon 1509 is nice and the Yammy 365 should be a decent buy too

You can get the Cambridge Audio 540R V3 for £250 amp. For the money it is a very good amp that is also reasonable with music. It does not have HD decoding but does have analogue inputs so can still get it with the right bluray player.

Marantz sr4002 - if you can stretch you budget by a tenner?!

Amazon.co.uk: marantz 4002

Especially good with music

Can get hd audio via hdmi and a hd audio decoding blu-ray player.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
All of these look quite good. My only concern is that on the Yamaha RXV365 there is only 2 HDMI inputs and 1 output. Would this be an issue if I have a TV, BluRay, HD Recorder and Playstation 3 which I would like to have surround sound from?

Personally I would avoid the bottom-of-the-range receivers such as the 365 anyway. Remember only HD audio sources e.g. Bluray players have to be connected via HDMI as HDMI is the only digital medium capable of HD audio. Obviously this isn't a problem on a non HDMI audio capable receiver. In the end, it really depends on your TV, if your TV has sufficient HDMI inputs for anything that doesn't need to go via the amp you can simply connect via HDMI direct to the display. If it was me, I would go for a receiver that can act as a hub for everything but that does mean that if you route via the amp, the amp has to be on to view it. This is the case for the majority of receivers, some pass HDMI on standby but this feature is very rare. Sometimes you won't want to use s/sound for quiet listening using the TV speakers so bear this in mind.

Personally I would avoid the bottom-of-the-range receivers such as the 365 anyway. Remember only HD audio sources e.g. Bluray players have to be connected via HDMI as HDMI is the only digital medium capable of HD audio. Obviously this isn't a problem on a non HDMI audio capable receiver. In the end, it really depends on your TV, if your TV has sufficient HDMI inputs for anything that doesn't need to go via the amp you can simply connect via HDMI direct to the display. If it was me, I would go for a receiver that can act as a hub for everything but that does mean that if you route via the amp, the amp has to be on to view it. This is the case for the majority of receivers, some pass HDMI on standby but this feature is very rare. Sometimes you won't want to use s/sound for quiet listening using the TV speakers so bear this in mind.

Does this mean that if you plug equipment into your tv and then connect your AV Reciever to your tv you will experience surround sound? Are there any diagrams on the internet anywhere which can explain the process?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom