1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good AV amp for music

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by cheechy, Aug 30, 2005.

1. cheechy

cheechy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Hi,

I've currently got a Yamaha RXV630 which I've had for a couple of years. I'm thinking about upgrading due to the impending need to have input switching but high on my list this time is fairly good reproduction of CD input.

Now I'm also thinking of upgrading to a Marantz 7600 DVD since my old Sony 725 is getting ratty in its old age.

Any good amps out there that will give faithful reproduction of stereo source while not compromising DTS and DD playback ( as opposed to my current amp ? :thumbsdow)

2. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Depending on your budget try Arcam or Marantz.

3. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    If your budget will stretch to it, I can thoroughly recommend the Arcam AVR300.

John

4. LFCRules

LFCRules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    Pop over to the Arcam specifc forum, and you'll get loads of positives from the likes of John and me saying the AVR300 is superb :smashin:

If you can't stretch to the AVR300, do try and demo the AVR250 instead. Slightly less flexibility than the AVR300 (no pre-outs plus a couple of other things I can't remember), but is special at the price.

Cheers

Andy

5. morksbeanbag

morksbeanbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    The Sony STR-VA555ES is very good in stereo, one of the most musical AV amps i've heard and beat the arcam avr-200 in a what hifi shootout for music. It has 6x100watts, and 7.1 pre outs for if you want twin centre rears. Its built like a tank and you can get them cheaply nowadays, they used to be £1000. There's one on ebay now going for £300 but there was a guy selling one on there for £250 which he listed in the wrong section so it didn't sell.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SONY-STR-VA55...ryZ98813QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

if i were you i'd contact him and get it for £250 rather than spending £1300 on a new arcam that i doubt would be worth the extra £1050.

6. Geoxis

Geoxis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Or you can buy a mid range + av amp like a Denon and buy a good second amp+cd player

7. cheechy

cheechy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    The sony certainly looked a bargain at £250 - the only problem being that I would be looking for component inputs on the amp. Unltimately this will probably mean looking for new or nearly new with a higher end Amp being the probable outcome.

I'll have a look at the Arcams - however how do the Denons measure up in Music Quality - 2850/60 for instance?

8. cheechy

cheechy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Well since the missus moved in a few years ago, my hifi kit has been migrated to 'my room' upstairs as its black and doesnt fit in with the 'decor'. My old Pioneer A400 and Marantz CD53 reproduce CD playback very well for a budget system and better systems being sold for more than the twice the asking price of todays system IMHO.

Unfortunately I'm looking for a jack of all trades to sit in the lounge. The Yamaha amp just doesnt cut it (no midrange) at present so just need something that isnt going to annoy me as much - if you see what I mean? :cool:

9. wannabeav

wannabeav

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was in a similar position and had a listen to a few, thread here http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=231627

I would say have a listen as all sound different but would have to echo what John and Andy have said - that the Arcam 300 is the best around for music and AV, so much so that I bought one to replace stereo amp and seperate av amp - massive improvement in both.

10. cheechy

cheechy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Thanks guys.

11. Falp

Falp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings: