1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good and Bad in everything

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by dUnKle, Aug 9, 2000.

1. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,491
    First things first, i hate having to try and think of a subject title for these things.

But anyway after looking through some of my many DVDs and also countless amounts of them having not been borrowed becuase my friend thinks them to be rubbish I hearby try to dedicate this thread to all those films out there which you enjoy over and over again but most people think are terrible.

In my mind there is no bad film as long as you enjoy it. I own tons of these type of movies and will defend them to the bitter end.

Prime examples would be.....

WING COMMANDER > Slammed as a poor mans Star Wars and laughed at my many I have to say I really enjoyed this. I purchased as soon as I saw it listed on Play ages ago on the basis that I loved the PC game. Anyway its by no means Top Gun in space but has some great dog fight scenes and sounds superb in 5.1. The script may be laughable but its a great way to waste a couple of hours on a rainy day. Try It.

VIRUS > Again this was purchased on no more tha the fact that I really enjoyed the Dark Horse comic book. Again I liked it. Crap script and laughable acting but still very entertaining.

WILD WILD WEST > Now come on many of you own this. I had it as a present from my Girlfriend along with the modern THOMAS CROWN AFFAIR, now thomas crown may be the better moview but wild wild west is the one I have watched the most.

DRIVE > I have not met anyone who likes this yet. It has to be the best no-brainer all action movie since HARD TARGET. Much better fight scenes than both ROMEO MUST DIE and THE MATRIX and the story is not that bad. This sounds great and looks good too. Purchased this one cos I was so intriuged that I had never heard of it.

Ok its your turn now, you like em you defend them. Oh and feel free to know my choices as well, or defend them

[This message has been edited by Blade (edited 12-08-2000).]

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Most people seem to hate Godzilla (the new version that is), but I love it...once again, the script is laughable and some of the acting aint up to much, but it is a good 'no-brainer' to watch for a bit of fun.

The DVD is also a fantastic demo disc with some awsome sound and picture quality.

------------------
    http://www.ypcc.co.uk

3. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,491
    Yeah i forgot about Godzilla, thats another one that I like two

Must admit though I do have some bad films, the worst has to be From Dusk til Dawn 2, which is terrible ( or is it ) I purchased this cos nobody seemed to have heard of it and i thought it could not be that bad, how wrong i was

[​IMG]

4. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Ferris Buellers Day Off - One of my all time favorite films, my wife walked out on it 30 minutes into the film.

5. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ferris Bueller's is a classic. How can anyone NOT like that film??

I think my worst film has to be An Ewok Adventure which a friend bought for me on LD.

The picture is terrible and the sound is worse...but they are both great compared to the movie and the acting!! I just seemed to remember it with the eyes of a child but, unlike the other Star Wars movies, it hasn't stood the test of time too well.

------------------

6. alan

alan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    my fave has to be "the last broadcast" r2
    watched it a few times now and still jump at the ending....i suppose the closest thing you could compare it with would be blair witch project which i enjoyed but i thought last broadcast just pipped it.
    i am curious to know if anyone else liked it,
    i know it had a few slatings on this forum.
    i lent it to my brother who told me not to turn up at his house again until i had something decent for him to watch....he feeds me a lot so i had to get hold of the abyss spec edition pretty sharpish!!

7. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,491
    Not as many replies as i would have liked [​IMG] yet, keep em coming.

Also what about films that people like and you dont.

I have to say that probably the second worst film I have ever watched was AMERICAN BEAUTY, im considering buying it on DVD just to hit it with a big claw hammer. It had no redeeming features at all and was NOT funny.

And for the record the worst film I have seen has to be RANSOM with Mel Gibson. Its a 15 cert film so you know from the start the kid is never going to get killed and it is so obvious how the thing is going to end from the moment it starts

[​IMG]

8. RobT

RobT
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The first stinker that comes to mind: Iron Eagle. Groan...

Dune: Pile of poo

2001: The last half. Sorry but I don't do drugs. Same with that bit in "Apocalypse Now" where it goes a bit 'odd'

Any of the Police Academy's after the first one.

I walked out on ken Russell's Gothic when I paid to see it at the GFT with some friends.

I quite like Ferris too! The wife didn't find "Waynes World" funny. Maybe a bloke-thing.

The one good (?) film I didn't watch the whole way through was "Schindlers List". Knowning that such atrocities were committed and despite that this was a watered-down censored version of some of horrors of the Holocaust made it difficult to sit through...

Cheers

9. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,491
    Keep em coming, lets get some kind of debate type thing going. Voice your opinions after all thats what the forums for.

What films do u hate and love and why ?

Be contreversial

Anybody not like Star Wars ?

Come on please

10. Bada Bing

Bada Bing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    A couple here...

1)Commando, mentioned it before, laughable baddies and script but classic in my mind.
    2)Negotiator, not many people mention this movie but I think it's got a great script good actiors and great sound.
    3)Beetljuice, my mates think I'm daft for buying it, but I think it's cool.

------------------
    "Run! Go! Get to the choppa!"

11. Arthur.S

Arthur.S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Duncan,
    Maybe the reason there's not so many replies is: Wrong section of the forum? DVD movies more suited?
    Anyway, my fav 'bad' film: Fifth Element. Even Brucie fans don't like it! But stonking picture quality, brill sound, & I think the movie isn't half bad too!

[This message has been edited by Arthur.S (edited 10-08-2000).]

12. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    My wife refuses to watch Bond movies, anything with Jim Carrie or any of the Austin Powers stuff.

I refuse to watch all those crappy soaps she watches.

We don't spend much time watching TV together. Not a problem since we have his and hers 32" widescreen TVs

13. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,491
    Im not just talking about DVDs
    I want to get some kind of discussion going on why people hate and like different movies.

I had one of the best friendly arguments who with a friend who believes AMERICAN BEAUTY was the best film ever. HA HA HA

14. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just remembered another one that I love but EVERYONE I know hates it.......The Burbs, starring Tom Hanks. I love that movie and have watched it loads of times, but I havn't found one person who can even remember it!!

------------------

15. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,491
    Is that the one were he lives in the house and there aliens ? or is that CONEHEADS, now coneheads was an OK movie, and what was that other Tom Hanks movie with the run down house, was that MONEY PIT or something again another poor comedy.

I have just watched the Rennie Harlin intro to Cliffhanger and boy does that guy like himself. Ok he may have done cliffhanger which is great, long kiss goodnight ( any film with sam jackson in is good ) and also done the best Die Hard movie of the three, but I would like to get him on this forum and defend Cutthrote Island, now that was a poor film

16. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My top worst big/well known films:

Silence Of The Lambs
    Star Wars 4 (no use calling it anything else)
    The Abyss: Cocoon 3
    Titanic
    The 2 Raiders Of the Lost Ark sequels
    The 2 Robocop sequels
    All Star Trek films save for part IV
    The Godfather Part III

A Phased Plasma Rifle In A 40 Watt Range®

©2000 Carol Vorderman™

My DVDs

[This message has been edited by Gary (edited 11-08-2000).]

17. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,491
    This is what we want, some good / bad choices Gary.

Why did u choose them ?
    Two Robocop sequals I can understand.
    But INDY and what about WRATH OF KHAN and FIRST CONTACT.

I must admit I have never even scene TITANIC and have no desire at all to do so. I can not stand DiCAPRIO.

Was there a Cocoon 3 ? what happened ? [​IMG]

I quite enjoyed Episode 1, it may not be close in quality to NEW HOPE but it kinda captured the feel of thw whole thing. I think that it tryed too hard to compete with the POKEMON generation of today. Yes JAR JAR was annoying and MAUL was not used nearly enough, but it was a prequal to a story that we all know how ends. The majority of us even know whats gonna happen with the next two. It was never going to be perfect, partly because we are no longer as young as we once were. A original trilogy hold a great nostalgic feel for me. Episode 1 does not do that but I still enjoy it and it provided entertainment which is what any film should aim to do

18. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with your comments on Episode 1, I really liked it but must admit that it can't compare to the origonal trilogy purely because I watched those movies through a childs eyes (actually, he probably wants them back now..lol).

The Burbs was the one were Tom Hanks is having a week of work when a new family moves into the house next door (The Clopec's) and he see's them digging a hole in their back yard and burrying a body...or so he thinks! The rest of the 'normal' people on the street all gang together to find out waht the new family are up to. Great fun!!

------------------

19. simonsez

simonsez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I cant believe y'all don't like American Beauty (I thought it was hilarious in a disturbing kinda way) Alright, some of my favorites that have not been mentioned:
    -Grosse Point Blank
    -The Usual Suspects
    -Tombstone
    Movies that are horrible,but I like 'em anyway:
    -Point Break
    -Young Guns 1 & 2

20. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Did anyone like Waterworld??

I thought it was one of the most DIRE movies I have ever seen, and my Wife wanted to go half way through (but I am a firm believer in getting what I pay for so I stuck it out till the end.....big mistake)

I really did hate it!!

On the note of good movies, the one I have enjoyed the most this year is High Fidelity. My Wife persauded me to go see it and I really didn't think I would like it....I was pleasantly suprised and look forward to it's DVD release next month.

------------------

21. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hm, found American Beauty ok but not so funny, perhaps you need to be a Yank to understand it!?

I admit I actually do NOT like Star Wars.
    Here, now I said it, come and kill me ... ! ;-)

Never understood the hype about it and watched it first on VCD a year or two ago.
    Though it's not a bad movie I found it just average and nothing special. Haven't even seen Episode 1 yet.

Other's that I like and are perhaps 'contorversial', * means I own the DVD.

Casablanca, b&w, mono *
    Streets of Fire * (anyone know that?)
    Gaslight, another old b&w classic
    Jackie Brown

Other's that I do not like, and you will see there are a lot of films listed which others do like or consider 'cult':

Apocalypse Now, boring
    Pulp Fiction, guess I just don't understand it
    Bladerunner, sooo boring
    Wing Commander, like the game, but not the movie
    Waterworld, what a sh.. movie

Will think about more ...

22. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    The Big Hit and Replacement Killers are two I like, too.
    Both from Johny Woo, no coincidence I guess.
    (But MI2 was IMHO a disappointment.)

I think TBH is pretty funny though it's actually very silly, Replacement Killers has some good action and soundtrack, beside Mira Sorvino is nice to look at ...

Okay, enough for today!

23. nickoff

nickoff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Arrival - 2, the very WORST sequel I can remember for a long, long time - absolute CR*P !!!

I love Life of Brian, watched it 15 - 20 times. My wife can't stand it.

24. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, one I've just thought of is Last Man Standing. I have a feeling other people are going to think this was ok but I hated every minute.

Nick

25. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Ups, just figured 'The Big Hit' is of course not directed by John Woo, stupid me!

Last Man Standing is ok, The Last Boyscout is far worst - IMHO.

26. James

James

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Originally posted by Reiner:

Streets of Fire * (anyone know that?)

I seem to remember it being a bizarre film about a guy whose girlfriend is kidnapped by a biker gang, and the guy ends up beating the leader (for some reason I have a picture of Willem Dafoe as the gang leader) in a fight involving the use of sledgehammers. Am I right?

If you want top quality films, look no further than original Hong Kong movies - Hard Boiled and The Killer are both stunners (and incidentally out on a R1 double feature in the next few months), and the later Jackie Chan stuff (Project A, Miracles, Armour of God, Meals on Wheels) is a bit cheesy but has fight scenes that make his US releases look like Howards End. I was fortunate to be in Hong Kong on honeymoon last month, and managed to pick up a few of these films (including Hard Boiled and The Killer) for a not unreasonable £10 per disc. And unlike the UK/US versions, they aren't dubbed.

27. James

James

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry, I meant 'Wheels on Meals', as opposed to a film with Jackie delivering dinners to pensioners.

28. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,491
    Drive is so much better than RUSH HOUR every single action movie fan must see it.

Also I seem to be the only person who rates DIE HARD 2 as the best of the 3. Even though I love the other two as well.

WATERWORLD I remeber watching from under a duvet full of cold. I kinda liked it but at the time I think I would have liked anything.

AMERICAN BEAUTY was terrible. I can find not one thing to say that is good about it. The ending was so obvious. Not only do i think you have to be American but also in your 40s to even begin to like it. I hate these kinda OSCAR movies, although I did enjoy the ENGLISH PATIENT. Tempted to buy TALANTED MR RIPLEY but not sure.

ohhhh BLADE RUNNER now thats a touchy one. Its one of those films like APOCALYPSE NOW which you feel you have to like cos everybody says they are good. I would defend Blade Runner cos I think Harrison Ford is god but I still dont think its that good.

Somebody mentioned SILENCE OF THE LAMBS. I thought this was ok until I read the book and then changed my mind the book was great. However that said the book HANNIBAL has to be the biggest pile of rubbish of any kind ever. Completly pointless, in reads like a pulp trash novel, the kind of things 14 year olds right for an english essay.

29. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, so I read thru that lot and feel in a "stirring" kind of mood....

Firstly, "The Last Broadcast" is really a pile of pants. I listed it as the worst film in my collection since "I want to rip of my arm and throw is at the speakers" to stop the monotonous drudgery that is the narration in this truly awful film. I do
    have the Blair Witch Project, and consider it an original and entertaning movie - The Last Broadcast is cast as the "prequel" to the Blair Witch in a very unofficial way...but it doensn't get anywhere near it.

AMERICAN BEAUTY - well Duncan, I ain't >40 (28) and found this film compelling, and thoroughly entertaining. I remember leaving the cinema in one of those rare states where the trip home is completely used up talking about the movie. I'm not sure that I understood all I was supposed to or even picked up on the many nuances which were intended to depict the ironies, predjudices and so on of the American Way...but you know, that doesn't matter - it was enjoyable anyway since I didn't have to write an essay about it in no more than 3000 words after :mad:)

Star Wars Episode 1 - now there's a difficult one. I don't remember being cynical or sarcastic at the age of 7, so STAR WARS and its sequels were absolutely fantastic then and still are now. If we were to take the films at raw value now, if they were relased now having never seen them before, I wonder if we would hold them in such grandeur - I'd like to think so..but I'm not so sure. Princess Leia in a gold bikini...timeless..but as much impact as when I was 13...mmm [​IMG]

So..Episode 1 - as sci-films go...it was ok..but I felt like I was watching it more out of patriotism than anything else. It did seem to have an element for "younger viewers" but you can't really fault it for that. I guess going to watch films requires some "expectation management" these days...ignore the hype and go in with a clear mind.. Still enjoyed it enough to buy the video.

As for films I really like but nobody else
    seems bothered.. I found Jackie Brown had me stuck steadfast to the screen - great mix of characters action and groovy tunes.

PleasantVille also - great film.. i'm not normally one that falls for directorial jiggery pokery with imagery and so on...but PleasantVille does it so well.... Banal (is that a word) story but it's so darned easy to watch and leaves you smiling.

I tend to hate most things with Jim Carey. One of the worst films I sat through was "Fierce Creatures" - what was that about?

Anyway - have work to do..So looking forward to getting that lot ripped apart!

PS: I also cannot stand DiCaprio, but Titanic
    is a good film - Duncan, you should
    try it - I reckon Kate Winslett makes
    up for Dicaprio's shortcomings... [​IMG]
    Sorry..everyone seems to hate Titanic.
    but I don't agree - I guess I have
    always had some fascination with this
    particular disaster though (the ship
    not the filme :mad:)

30. andypearce

andypearce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    You've just mentioned a 'popular' film that I thought was pants which is The Talented Mr Ripley. It was too long and too predicatable. The other recent blockbuster that was excellent production but I could have written the ending down after 10minutes is Gladiator.
    High Fidelity was also a big disappointment but films usually are when you've enjoyed the book (there's a new thread for you all).