Question Good Amp and Speakers for Pro-Ject Carbon Debut?

Matthew90

Novice Member
I've been collecting vinyl for many years, it started off as a purely collectible thing to support my favourite bands but I thought i'd finally spring for a decent set up.

I'm completely new to all this but I've done some research and decided on the Pro-Ject Debut Carbon DC but I really don't know where to go from here with regards to amps/speakers.

I've been looking at the Yamaha A-S501 and various Marantz models for amps but don't really know what i'd need and what would work best.

I don't really know anything about pre-amps or whether i'd need one in this case

My preferred budget all in is around £800 so any recommendations and advice would be greatly appreciated.

sounddog

For £800 for a vinyl based system... I'd look at a Rega Brio R with something like Kef Q300, Monitor Audio Bronze 2 or perhaps stretch to B&W 685s2.

Of course for you you need to visit some HiFi stores and listen to what is best for you (especially for speakers).

sounddog

One question I should ask is what size room?

If you have a small room an alternative is to get something like Q Accoustic's BT3, attach you turntable via a phono preamp to the aux input and you can also use a phone/tablet via Bluetooth.

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
Yes, we need the Room Dimensions? That would lend us some perspective.

Next, are there any requirements for the Amp?

- Does it need to have Tone Controls?

- Does it need to have a DAC (digital to analog converter)?

- Does it need to have Network Streaming Capability?

Are there any restrictions on the speakers? Bookshelf? Floorstanding? Other?

The Yamaha AS501 is 85w/ch with a DAC including Optical and Coaxial inputs. The most common place you would use Optical/Coaxial is when connecting a TV to the Stereo system. Though some computers come with Optical/Coaxial outputs now, so it could give you a high quality connection between a computer and the DAC.

The Yamaha AS501 is available at a fantastic price right now, about £210. Very hard to pass up.

Yamaha AS501 Amplifier with DAC - Superfi

If you want Network Streaming from local storage and from the Internet, then the Yamaha RN500 Network Receiver has 80w/ch, DAC with Digital Inputs, and Network Streaming capability, and is priced at a very modest £310.

Yamaha RN500 Networked Receiver - Superfi

All the Yamaha have MM (moving magnet) PHONO/Turntable Inputs.

Replacing, presumably, the Yamaha RN500 is the new Yamaha RN602 Network Receiver, which is very similar to the RN500, but as the addition of Bluetooth, DSD (the file type for SACD) support, and has more Streaming Services built in. Having just been released, the prices are still a bit high on the Yamaha RN602 Network Receiver. Currently priced at about £500.

Yamaha RN602 Networked Stereo Receiver - Superfi

Those would leave you roughly £300/pr to £500/pr for speakers, but not having any idea what type of speakers you can accommodate, it is hard to make recommendations.

In Bookshelf speakers
-

Monitor Audio Bronze 2 Speakers (Pair) - Superfi

Dali Zensor 3 Speakers (Pair) - Superfi

Polk RTiA3 Bookshelf Speakers (Pair) - Superfi

B&W 685 S2 Bookshelf Speakers (Pair) - Superfi

Monitor Audio Silver 1 Speakers (Pair) - Superfi

In Floorstanding Speaker
s -

Tannoy Mercury V4i Speakers (Pair) - Superfi

Wharfedale Diamond 230 Floor Standing Speakers (Pair) - Superfi

Dali Zensor 5 Speakers (Pair) - Superfi

Acoustic Energy 103 Speakers (Pair) - Superfi

Monitor Audio Bronze 5 Floorstanding Speakers (Pair) - Superfi

That should give you some idea of what is possible within your budget.

Steve/bluewizard

arb70sok

If you are OK with 2nd hand, try an AudioLab 8000A (have a good MM and MC phono stage) and a pair of Monitor Audio BX2's. You might just get both for under £200 and I suspect that you will be very happy with the outcome. If you want to spend a bit more add a 2nd hand AudioLab 8000P (another £150-£200) to the mix and BiAmp the BX2's - driving the bass channel with the P - and it will sound even better!

I did a bit of a review on this setup here

Monitor Audio Bronze BX2 owners - don't bi-amp

Considerably less than your budget but why pay more when you can get a great sound for less? Obviously need to be a bit careful buying 2nd hand but if you are careful, great kit can be found for not a lot of money.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom