1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good alternatives to Mission m73 fronts?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by lungfish, Aug 13, 2002.

1. lungfish

lungfish
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Had a demo of some Mission m73 fronts, running off a Yamaha DSP-AX620 receiver (and some horrible Kenwood that the guy in Richer Sounds was trying to sell me, but never mind). Anyway, was quite impressed with the sound from the Missions.

What other speakers would people recommend I have a listen to, as reasonable alternatives to the m73s, in roughly the same price range? They're going to be used about equally for stereo music and movies, probably with a Marantz SR5200. I'll probably have to forgo a sub for the immediate future (nowhere to put it right now), so something that performs well at the low end would be great.

Thanks in advance,

Scott

2. Skabyol

Skabyol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Lungfish,
    Have you found a good alternative to the M73?

I have an SR5200 and also considering the M73. And like you, i use it 50/50 for music and movies. I'm also considering B&W 601 S3...are they in the same league as the M73?

Thanks.

3. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Around the same price, there are quite a few alternatives to the M73. However, while there are probably dogs to avoid, it's often simply down to personal preference in the end - ie, one isn't really any better than the other per se, they just sound a bit different. Some will match certain amps and rooms better than others too (and by room, I mean both soundwise and looks).

The first trick is not to make a judgement too quickly - and this can be difficult, as dealers don't want you sat in their demo room for hours when there's only a set of budget floorstanders at stake for them. The reason is that some makers use an old trick to make their speakers sound better on an initial demo - they boost the bass and treble purposely, by both cabinet and crossover design. This gives an initial impression of more clarity and greater scale etc - but it's really a false impression. Such speakers can easily become tiring to listen to in the longer term.

Trick number two (and this is personal opinion, not cast iron fact) is not to demo too many - you just end up confusing yourself.
    Use the mags (I know it's not ideal, but you can't demo every speaker available), forums, web articles, etc etc, to draw up a shortlist of 3-4 max (IMO).
    Even then, if the demos aren't in the same room with the same kit, they may be of limited value, and really all demos at a dealers are limited in the sense that it's not your front room and often not your kit.
    IMO, as much as anything else, you are looking for any of your selections you specifically don't like for one reason or another.
    At the end of the day, you may well find that you'd be quite happy with a number of different models - that's fine, it's not unusual.

Try to demo with the spekers in a similar position to the way you'll be using them. If you have to place them up against a wall, don't let the dealer place them a metre into the room - with some it can make a huge difference. If placing up against a wall, then IMO, this really rules out rear ported designs like the M73 (there are always exceptions to every rule though).

Models I might shortlist would probably include (usually available at £150 or less)

Wharfedale Diamond 8.3
    Mission M73
    Eltax Liberty 5+ (although I can only speak for the old model with the black drivers - no idea if the new model sounds any different - it may just be cosmetic changes, but I really don't know)
    Tannoy MX3

No doubt there are other worthy contenders too, so it's by no means an exhaustive list, although if one of the above doesn't suit, then I'd be inclined to suggest you should really be looking further up the price scale (and in some cases, quite a bit further up) to more capable designs!

As for M73 vs DM601S3?

Well the obvious difference is that the 601s are standmounters (so you'll need to buy a pair of reasonable stands too)
    This can take the price to over £300, well in excess of the M73 price.
    No denying that they are good speakers, even if IMO they are a touch overpriced when you look what else is available.
    Whether they justify that price is a matter of opinion in the end though! The bass will probably be a little lightweight compared to some of the floorstanders too (although for music especially, tight tuneful but lighter bass in infinitely more preferable to heavy, bloated, boomy but deeper bass - not that I'm saying any of the floorstanders are like that - just saying you shouldn't really judge a speaker simply by how deep it can go :) )

Of the four I suggested, you'll probably find they all have very different characters (although the Tannoy and Eltax aren't massively different IMO). Mission can be a bit too forward and "in yer face" for some - whereas some may feel that the other models can sound a bit flat in comparison.
    As I said it's personal prefernece in the end.
    Me?, I'd probably look at the Diamonds first!

End of waffle!

HTH

4. Mitch2000

Mitch2000
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I demo'd the M73 and the wharfedale diamond 8.3's and was more impressed with the wharfedales. They have a deeper sounding bass so would probably be better as your not having a sub just yet. I've had them setup for a couple of months now and I still think there great. Good luck.

5. lungfish

lungfish
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks to everyone who replied! I ended up getting the Wharfedales -- as you say, they have a bigger bass sound than the Missions, very useful while I'm sub-less. They're also a bit smaller and (sad but true) looked better with the other stuff in the room... Had them set up for a couple of weeks now and very happy with them so far, still fiddling with levels and positioning the rears to get things just right :)

Cheers,

Scott

6. Skabyol

Skabyol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Everyone,
    Thanks for the replies.

Lungfish,
    Congratulations on your purchase. Hope you have many hours of music and movie pleasure.

In my short list
    -M73- My current favorite so far.

-KEF Coda 70 - Had a chance to listen to them and was impressed. They were connected to a very expensive Transport-DAC-amplifier setup though...must be the reason why they sounded so good.

-KEF Q1 - This is suppose to be one step up from the Coda. Still need to hear it.

-B&W601 S3 - heard it. quite good but not really impressed.

-Diamond 8 - still looking for a shop that i can audition these speakers.

7. hunkiemunkey

hunkiemunkey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've noticed you lot are interested in the Mission M73's, and I thought you would like to know that Richer Sounds are currently selling them for 80 quid in beech.

I have a pair and I think they are fantastic, especially in music and movies.

Pity I paid £140 for mine.....

:eek:

8. enajh2

enajh2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    When exactly did you read this price because I'm getting £94 on their website and they have no stock at the moment! :(

If this was an in-store price, which store did you see them in?

9. hobbes

hobbes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    flippin eck enajh2! £80 or £94 thats still a damn good deal considering i paid £150 for them a few months back.

But if £94 is too much then just get HiFiJunkies or someone similar to price beat them.

Shaun

10. enajh2

enajh2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm a student! :D :rolleyes: