1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good 50Hz TV?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Bender, Oct 25, 2004.

1. Bender

Bender
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I've finally decided after months of looking, that even with the latest digital processing, I don't think I can live with a 100Hz tv yet.

I've really tried to like them, even had John Lewis doing a price match on the Philips 23PW9509, but I just do not like the picture they produce most of the time.

So I've decided to turn my attention back to 50Hz tvs. :rolleyes:

Anyone got any recommendations for a new, very good 50Hz 32" tv? Not too bothered about digital tuner.

Unless somebody can change my mind again by showing me a artefact free 100Hz tv. ;)

2. Contact

Contact
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    At 32" 50Hz, the Sony KD32DX51's pretty cool. It's quite a specific niche in its design, but for most people it grows on them quite fast.

Have you had a quick browse at JVC's 75Hz TV? Also the Acuity has a similar (bloody overpriced) scanmode for the effect, and Sony Digital Reality Creation TV's have the option to go between 100 and 50Hz on the menu.

3. Bender

Bender
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply Contact.

I know what you mean about the KD32DX51's styling. When I first saw it I actually quite liked it, but then I went off it. Now I'm coming back round again..... I think?

I started looking at the JVC HV-32D40 a while ago, but mixed reviews had put me off.

Are you sure about being able to switch between 100 & 50Hz on some Sony tvs. If so which ones?

I thought this was part the problem, that if you had a 100Hz tv, you were stuck with it and could only switch between different types of processing or DNR. :confused:

4. red16v

red16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I cannot recommend the Toshiba 32ZP48 highly enough. It's a supberb 100hz set. Regards, yt.

5. Contact

Contact
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I work in an electrical store (my user name's the name of the place :D), so I know for sure on the TV's.

Sony's Digital Reality Creation TV's have always had the option to switch Hz. The current models with that are the KD28DX200 and KD32DX200.

I wouldn't bother with the D40, integrated digital's all well and good, but the P37 (analogue version of the same set, albeit an older model) is such a good price right now I'd recommend that. That is provided the design appeals.

Let me know if you want more info, and I'll answer any questions. Also, I can't comment too much on Toshiba. I really like the manufacterer, but the last few ranges have not been much good. Can't fault their common sense when it comes to connectivity.

6. Bender

Bender
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Once again thanks for the info.

Interestingly the DX200, along with the Philips 9509, was one of the 100Hz TV's I was originally interested in. I must go back a give it another look, cheers.

7. The Penetrator

The Penetrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had a Sony KV-28LS35U for 3 years now and after being sceptical at first, it's turned out to be a great TV so far, touch wood.

Have a look at the equivalent Sony stuff now. The picture is Proper Bo!!!. choose 1 with 3 scarts at least though.

TP :hiya:

8. TVhomejs

TVhomejs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You're quite right: The mentioned scanmodes are all different (but more advanced) forms of digital processing! The only way to keep digital processing at a minimum is to buy a 50 Hz CRT, which processes the 50 Hz interlaced analogue signal in an analogue way in real time. That's the important thing, not the update frequency in it self.

9. Bender

Bender
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Contact,

I've not had time to go and try this setting in a store yet, but I've been looking at a user manual on line (for the DX150 been unable to find the DX200 yet).

I think I did try this setting when I first started looking at the Sony, and it did not look like a change to 50Hz, but it's some time ago so I'm not sure.

Looking at the manual I read this not as 50Hz or 100Hz but as just a 50 and 100 setting for the DRC but both still @100Hz as the OFF setting says 'off -basic 100Hz'.

Could you or anyone else confirm or correct my view on this?

10. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    After months of having different 100 Hz TV's, I had decided to go back to 50Hz. I was due to buy a Sony DL11 this week and would have been very happy but I bought a Tosh ZP48 instead. Aside from the fact it has no major defects it is the first 100hz TV that I can watch and not focus on the strange side effects of normal 100Hz processing.

I have spent most of the last few days watching DVD's and enjoying the films with no worrys about picture quality

11. Bender

Bender
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No need to answer this question, after a bit more research on the net, it is indeed 50Hz.
    Sorry for doubting your knowledge Contact :blush: :suicide:

Because DRC doubles the lines even in this 50Hz mode there is still evidence of processing artefacts (but not as bad as 100Hz) which is why when I previously tried it I didn't think it was switching to 50Hz.

This still is better than being stuck with just 100Hz so I will go back and look at the set in action :thumbsup:

Once again thanks for your advice Contact. By the way if you have a DX200 on display in your shop, what do you think of the different modes?

12. Bender

Bender
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your input Londondecca.

So that's 2 votes for the Tosh ZP48 with red16v's

One of my mates has just got a new Toshiba telly and I think it's the ZP48. So I'll have to nip round and have a play. Cheers

Who'd have thought choosing a new telly would be so much trouble :rolleyes: