• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Good 5.1 Speakers for around £150-200?

Rob89

Established Member
I've got a Panny G20 and a Sony S550 Blu-ray player, and would like to get the most out of them, at a budget price. I'm looking for a good pair of 5.1 tower speakers, something along the lines of this:

26416352.jpg

for around £150-200. I'll also be buying this Sony receiver as it's the best i can get within my budget
Sony STR-DA2400ESB 7.1 Channel AV Receiver in Black: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

PSM1

Distinguished Member
The 2400 really deserves better speakers than ones costing £150-£200 to get the best from it. That said the current price does make it a bit of a bargain and well worth purchasing.
Tower speakers like you linked too are really mainly used on cheap all in one systems and are no better than a normal satelite speaker. Hence you will struggle to get an AV speaker package with those type of speakers. A normal satelite speaker (like the Tannoy SFX) on a stand will sound just as good (if not better). However I think Tuefel may do something like what you are looking for but I believe it costs more than your budget.
Have you considered just buying a front pair of speakers (or front 3) and then getting the rest as funds allow. This will get you a much better speaker system and one that will get the best from you Sony reciever. You could look at Wharfedale Diamond 9/10 range or Tannoy F series.

Penfold1

Established Member
I have the Sony STRDA2400ES paired with the Teufel Kompakt 30 speakers, all purchased via Amazon. I have not heard any other speakers however to my ears, for the price they sound fantastic. Worth a punt and if you don't like them, you have 8 weeks to send them back for a full refund (just don't chuck the box away:)). Beware the stands for the speakers though, as they are cheap for a reason. Not the most stable and will only accommodate relatively small guage speaker cable:mad:.

laughalot

Established Member
I have the Sony STRDA2400ES paired with the Teufel Kompakt 30 speakers, all purchased via Amazon. I have not heard any other speakers however to my ears, for the price they sound fantastic. Worth a punt and if you don't like them, you have 8 weeks to send them back for a full refund (just don't chuck the box away:)). Beware the stands for the speakers though, as they are cheap for a reason. Not the most stable and will only accommodate relatively small guage speaker cable:mad:.

Instead of going for a full 5.1 why dont you spend the money on a decent pair of fronts eg Monitor Audio BX2 for about 225 and when you have a bit extra add the other bits and pieces

MONITOR AUDIO BRONZE BX2 SPEAKERS (PAIR) at hifix.co.uk

laughalot

Established Member
I've got a Panny G20 and a Sony S550 Blu-ray player, and would like to get the most out of them, at a budget price. I'm looking for a good pair of 5.1 tower speakers, something along the lines of this:

26416352.jpg

for around £150-200. I'll also be buying this Sony receiver as it's the best i can get within my budget
Sony STR-DA2400ESB 7.1 Channel AV Receiver in Black: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Instead of going for a full 5.1 why dont you spend the money on a decent pair of fronts eg Monitor Audio BX2 for about 225 and when you have a bit extra add the other bits and pieces

MONITOR AUDIO BRONZE BX2 SPEAKERS (PAIR) at hifix.co.uk

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom