1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good 32 / 37" LCD

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Biccy, Oct 3, 2004.

1. Biccy

Biccy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Advice needed please: I'm STILL trying to pick a new TV, after wanting a CRT, then plasma, i went to John Lewis today & although impressed by a couple of plasma sets one of the sales guys there (seemed genuine) said his personal choice would be LCD as the 'technology' involved was less prone to problems than plasma & should have a longer life. This will be important as the money im looking to spend i want the set to have good longevity! My needs are that it will be HDTV ready (from what i've read this means DVI and/or HDMI inputs, high res, & accept 720 & 1080....though im newbie so could be wrong) Also would like prog scan, ideally a seperate multi-media box as i'd like to wall mount. Im not worried about sound as this will be through surround sound set-up, & obviously my main need is a great picture quality, through Sky+ if thats poss. Would be nice also to be 37" screen if poss, 32" maybe. I know its asking alot but if i get the above then i dont mind spending the money. Can anyone recommend ant sets? Thanks.

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
  3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
  4. Biccy

Biccy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for that. that does look like what im after but couldnt find many prices with a google search. is it an old model? the other thing is my viewing distance will be 2metres, would this be better suited to a 32" or would 37" be ok?

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    brand spanky new model mate stocks stilll trickling through to UK

6. Biccy

Biccy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ah right, that'd explain it! will keep an eye out. this may be a question for the hdtv forum but wondering if you may know....this HDTV that sky should be offering in future, do they know what the input required on the tv will be? ive tended to look at sets with dvi & hdmi as this is my totally un-educated guess?

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    component Y Pb Pr and or HDMI/DVi having both of these accept 1080i and 720p will sort you out.

8. Biccy

Biccy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks, at least i know now instead of guessing!

9. Biccy

Biccy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sorry, another Q, on the same subject does that mean i could get away with just component in & not need dvi / hdmi?

10. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    yes but having a digital input is a big advantage and will allow you to get the most out of the screen (hopefully)

11. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Take a look at the Loewe Xelos SL HD or HD/DR+ with built in HD recorder. If you don't mind spending the money, then there is also the Loewe Spheros. Loewe are at www.loewe.de - for Xelos look under TV's, for Spheros, look under Systems. Both meet all your criteria. Watch out for the list of options, can be confusing.

I also took a look at a Sharp LC32GD1E - remote was unresponsive, native input at 50Hz is not available (60Hz only) and I couldn't get it to accept 1080i - Sharp has admitted this as a problem - see a post of mine a month or so back. But otherwise it was a pretty fine set.

-Ian

12. Biccy

Biccy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    now that Spheros does look nice! bit pricey, maybe a little too much but it is tasty. i know this kind of questions been asked in some form alot but can anyone comment on LCD PQ compared to a plasma, obviously it'd depend on budget etc but ive only seen the, i guess, badly set-up LCD's in comet etc where the PQ doesnt look too hot next to a plasma. the thing is im (& as importantly the missus!) more comfortable buying an LCD if PQ is right than i am buying a plasma, seems to be the more reliable/longer lifespan technolgy.

13. Maximus5

Maximus5
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm deciding between Loewe Spheros 32" and Loewe Xelos 37". What would you suggest for 3m viewing distance? The price is almost the same +/- 10%.

The glass on Spheros does add more 3D effect on the picture but 37" is bigger. How are the contrast, response time and sharpness of these panels?

I was checking Sony 32MX1 LCD for long time and the picture was very sharp but the set is just too expensive. I'm afraid that the sharpness of Loewe LCD won't be so good but still hopping I'm wrong since you can't really test the sets in the stores with poor video feed.

14. PDL2

PDL2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just taken delivery of a Xelos 32" LCD and the PQ is great. The DVD and digital TV picture (via a Panasonic digi box) is spot on, while the analogue TV picture is almost as good. I can't compare it against the latest LCD models from Sony and Phillips as you can never get a good demonstration in the shops. However, I am more than happy that I decided to go with the Loewe Xelos. :thumbsup:

15. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Personally I would go for the 32" Spheros over the 37" Xelos. I sit about the same distance, and for us, 32" is about right as its not "in your face". Also, bigger screens can look worse at the same distance as a smaller version. Combine this with the slightly better quality and flexibility of the Spheros and the protection of the glass panel and IMO, the Spheros would be the one to go for.

As for contrast, the Spheros is about the best you can get, I have not witnessed any problem with response time on my Xelos (latest generation LCD's are <= 15ms response so they are switching faster than the required frame rates : PAL is 20ms/frame, NTSC is >16ms/frame ) and I would think that sharpness would be atleast as good on the Loewe's as on the Sony's - there is a setting 1..5 to adjust to your taste - watchout that too sharp a picture will introduce artificial artifacts.

-Ian

16. Horrabin

Horrabin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm choosing between the Xelos 32" and the Sony KLV-32M1. Unfortunately, I can't see both in the same store, so it's hard to compare PQ. However, I can get a much better price for the Sony at the moment, about 1870£ as compared to the price of the Xelos which is about 2845£. Is the price for the Sony too good to miss? I'm a bit bothered that the Sony hasn't got a DVI connection, is that something that is important? I'm thinking of getting the new Denon 2910 DVD-player which has both HDMI (going to connect to my Panasonic PT-AE700 projector) and DVI which could be used to connect to my upcoming LCD-TV.

17. spinaltap

spinaltap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +365
    Having recently auditioned the Spheros 37 at John Lewis I would strongly recommend this set over anything else on the market (better than Pioneer Plasma in my opinion). The resolution was spot-on. It is a simply stunning picture.

When auditioning such panels I always stand too close to the product just to see how much blocking there is. Clearly, that's not how to watch television, but on the Spheros I couldn't see any such problems (the first time in my experience).

It will be interesting to see how the new 'Spheros R37 Masterpiece' compares. However, apparently the Spheros range will soon be enhanced further by the addition of a new variation of 'pixel plus'. Can't wait to see that one!

18. banjo21

banjo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    Horny and Co - I went to look at 37" PE30 yesterday and concensus is its too big for my 12'x12' lounge (certainly in missies eyes). Therefore I'm down to looking for a 32" plasma/LCD which I believe is still 6" bigger than my current 28" CRT's actual viewable size.
    What is good shortlist in this league? The best Sharp you mention Horny, is it the 3 or 4 or titanium series ?
    Key importance is compact proportions and minimum screen surround and closeness to smoothness and complete lag of jaggies/shimmer on PQ as per my 50Hz CRT.

19. Nabs

Nabs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    What is the loewe Spheros 37 Masterpiece? How does this differ from the rest?

By the way, I asked Loewe about their new version of pixel plus but they denied any changes to their screens for a few years to come never mind the near future so I am confused about that, wasn't it supposed to reach the screens by the end of this year.

I was also wondering myself, if loewe and sharp have teamed up does this mean in the near future that loewe too will have screens with 1900+ x1080 res too.