Good 16:9 projector??

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by nanumalla, Jul 15, 2004.

1. nanumalla

nanumalla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I am looking for a decent 16:9 projector under $1200-$1300, I have seen lot of 4:3 projectors online, but very few 16:9s. Does anybody on this forum have a suggestion? Any input would be truly appreciated.

thanks,

2. pantages

pantages

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Panasonic PTAE500 is a superb 16:9 LCD projector, HD ready, available for less than £1300 and maybe still with a free 5' screen from Let's Go Digital. Search this forum for more info.

3. nanumalla

nanumalla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks pantages, but PTAE500 here in the US is selling for around $5000(US). I will keep looking for any deals on that though.

4. pantages

pantages

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Sorry, I did not realise you were in the USA. Still, for $5000 you could have a trip over here and buy an AE500! Good hunting anyway.

5. chamal_a

chamal_a

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently picked up the Sanyo PLV-Z2 for about $2750CAD. It is a native 16:9 LCD projector with 1280x720 native resolution. I have nothing to say but good things about it so far. Picture is absolutely unbelievable for this money. It looks better than any "big Screen" TV I have every seen and short throw lens makes getting a big picture easy in a smaller room. I have about 9ft (3m) from projector to wall and Image size can be adjusted from about 104" to 88" using the zoom lens. It also has this neat lens shift feature which allows you to move the picture horizontally and vertically without having to use keystone correction! It is great for making fine adjustments without moving the projector. You can even set the projector up at angles way off directly in front of center screen this way. I did a lot of research before getting this one and Pantages is right the Panasonic PTAE500 is also a very good projector and it competes directly with the Z2. But I found that the Z2 has more overall positive feedback not to mention the lens shift feature and it has been holding a top 5 position on www.projectorcentral.com list since it was released (in fact it is currecntly #1 in its price range)! The showroom I bought it from had a $10k DLP projector that they had ordered for a customer set up right next to the Z2 and random customers in the store said they liked the Z2 image better! :D

6. nanumalla

nanumalla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    continuing my research...,
    has anybody has anything to say about ViewSonic PJ551, I could find only 3 reviews on that, all of them were good, but I want to hear some more reviews before considering.

thanks,

7. monopole

monopole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    how about the infocus screenplay 4805? it's around $1400 online in the USA and is said to be an amazing piece of kit.

8. nanumalla

nanumalla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I did look at 4805, it seems to be a nice one, but the resolution is a bit low(854X480), I have tried Infocus X1(DLP) few weeks ago, I could see kind of a screen door effect, e.g, during the titles at the end of a movie, background is black and text is white, I could clearly see pixelation. so, I am not very optimistic of 4805.

9. ShinObiWAN

ShinObiWAN
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can you get to see the Hitachi TX100 or Sony HS20 over in the states?

Out of the LCD's I'd only really consider these two. Then you have Benq 7800 fighting the corner for budget DLP's.

Of course some or all of these may not be available at decent prices like they are over here, which would make a change since most things AV are dirt cheap in the US.

10. monopole

monopole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  11. nanumalla

nanumalla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Shinobiwan,

yes, we do get Hitachi TX100 and Sony HS200 for not less than $3499, and BenQ for ~$5000. that is way out of my budget.

Naveen

12. nanumalla

nanumalla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks monopole for the link, it is quite informative