Goo screen build

martian1

Prominent Member
Reaction score
With help off this forum [inzaman] i decided to have a go at making a fixed screen. I am not a great DIYer but the saving will hopefully allow me to save for a HCPC [for high def stuff :D ] I also spent a lot on a projector and funds were struggling! Anyway this was to be a temporary measure or so i thought! I simply cannot believe how well this has worked out :D :smashin: At times i thought it was a total waste of time with roller marks doing my head in. I can hardly see any fault in screen at all now, and once its cured i think it will be even better :clap:
I am also converting a garage to house everything so you can imagine last nights switch on was a bit of a worry [just got pj this week].
I will try and add any tips i can to help anyone attempting this themselves.
I will mainly just cover the painting and finishing off as the materials for the screen are the same as other thread. There will be pics !!! and when i get a chance screenshots..couldn't be bothered last night wow factor to great :D :D
I did at lease 10 coats :eek:
2 MDF primer [more would be better i think]
2 Dulux undercoat
3 digital light undercoat
3 digital light top coat
I have found with MDF, paint seemed to like some areas more than others which caused intermitent streeking. More mdf primer might help combat this.
I used loads of smooth rollers mainly small smooth type although i also used the larger smooth rollers for finishing, i would coat screen thith small roller then go over it again with a new large roller [without paint] here are my pics if you notice i neerly "flocked" up big style. There is not a lot spare :D so before you cut last 2 long lengths check you have enough!

The final picture screen does luck a little patchy it was only painted 5hrs before it went up i speeded this up with a hairdryer :D also concentrated hairdryer on any patches i could see. I have to add i have been to many demos and saw an awful lot of screens, very expensive ones as well! and my screen is excellent in comparison and i am very fussy about picture quality :smashin:

Attachments

• IMG_0160.JPG
    IMG_0160.JPG
    32.3 KB · Views: 204
  • IMG_0165.JPG
    IMG_0165.JPG
    28.6 KB · Views: 175
  • IMG_0168.JPG
    IMG_0168.JPG
    13.7 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_0169.JPG
    IMG_0169.JPG
    13.5 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_0170.JPG
    IMG_0170.JPG
    21.8 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_0171.JPG
    IMG_0171.JPG
    17.3 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_0172.JPG
    IMG_0172.JPG
    30.5 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_0173.JPG
    IMG_0173.JPG
    20.3 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_0174.JPG
    IMG_0174.JPG
    13.3 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_0175.JPG
    IMG_0175.JPG
    13 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG_0177.JPG
    IMG_0177.JPG
    20.9 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_0178.JPG
    IMG_0178.JPG
    31.8 KB · Views: 275
Here's screenshots i only have an s-video lead and excess light from curtains walls etc doesn't help ! I have a belkin component lead in the post so things should get even better.

Attachments

• IMG_0186.JPG
    IMG_0186.JPG
    20.2 KB · Views: 196
  • IMG_0189.JPG
    IMG_0189.JPG
    19.8 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_0190.JPG
    IMG_0190.JPG
    19.3 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_0191.JPG
    IMG_0191.JPG
    23.2 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_0192.JPG
    IMG_0192.JPG
    16.5 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_0193.JPG
    IMG_0193.JPG
    20.1 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_0194.JPG
    IMG_0194.JPG
    14.4 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_0195.JPG
    IMG_0195.JPG
    14.3 KB · Views: 191
well smart m8

Thanks more to follow..

Very nice job mate, but do keep LOTR in the correct aspect ratio. It looks a little odd stretched like that.

The screen is superb.

Cap :)

thanks all..more screenshots on my other project [garage conversion :eek: ] Its on the diy forum.

Looks a good job martian. :smashin:

Mine looks very similar except...

No protruding frame around the edge

Didn't use flock tape, simply painted matt black after masking the border

I used el cheapo dulux brilliant white. Took approx 5 coats but it went on extremely evenly, not a hint of a streak by the 3rd or 4th coat (using smooth gloss roller). No doubt not as bright at the goo but I'm surprised how difficult it seems to be to get the goo applied without streaks - many people have commented similar to you.

I presume you've seen the recent comments that MDF/hardboard painted screens are a pile of doggie poo and we should all go out and buy proper screens? ;)

...PJ

:eek: sorry double post

Yes i agree the dulux went on fine after 2 coats it was smooth, the goo is a thicker acrylic paint i thought i had cracked it by diluting the undercoat but the topcoat was a bit of a pig!
MDF is quite good but even with a good primer the materials in the board seem to lift slightly due to paint absorbtion. I sanded mine down lightly after about 5 coats this made a bit of a difference with finish.
Regarding peoples opinions of screens DIY screens i have to say i thought this would work out pants as well :D I was gobsmacked at the image, for me i am very happy with it and having viewed a lot of "proper" :D expensive screens mine is very good indeed, couldn't see hundreds of £ difference.

Hi ,

this is my 1st post to the forum , i hope you will accept the info in the spirit it is given .

I work in the screen industry and can advise you that although you may use Dulux paints this still leaves you with a 'flat' image that doesn't give the projected image that i'm sure you are seeking.

The screens made for all the big Cinemas and for AV use a base material Matt White PVC which we paint with a variety of finishes :

HC Grey , formulated to either 0.8 /0.6/ 0.4 gain and this improves the black video levels no end , but the results depend on throw distances and output of the projector.

There are Perlux finishes for higher gains of 1.4 and 1.8 , but the angle of the gain improvements is reduced by light scatter to about unity gain at 60 degrees on average.

If you are making a home Cinema it is worth weighing up the advantages of an HC grey finish for the improved contrast , or the higher gain finishes to improve the output from the projector if it is of a lower ANSI level than your desired image.

Hope this helps.

Screen Scene said:
Hi ,

this is my 1st post to the forum , i hope you will accept the info in the spirit it is given .

I work in the screen industry and can advise you that although you may use Dulux paints this still leaves you with a 'flat' image that doesn't give the projected image that i'm sure you are seeking.

At Harkness Hall we make the screens for all the big Cinemas and for AV too , the base material is a Matt White PVC which we paint with a variety of finishes :

HC Grey , formulated to either 0.8 /0.6/ 0.4 gain and this improves the black video levels no end , but the results depend on throw distances and output of the projector.

We also do Perlux finishes for higher gains of 1.4 and 1.8 , but the angle of the gain improvements is reduced by light scatter to about unity gain at 60 degrees on average.

We have provided paint , but also cut provide material prepared for it to be put onto frames , if you are making a home Cinema it is worth weighing up the advantages of an HC grey finish for the improved contrast , or the higher gain finishes to improve the output from the projector if it is of a lower ANSI level than your desired image.

Hope this helps.

Hi :hiya:

Great to have someone who does this for a living contributing.

I have no hangups that my el cheapo screen will be out-performed by more expensive screens.

I've seen some comments in the past (not yours ;))to the effect "MDF? Bah! You'll get a much better pic from this £1000 screen here...". Erm, yes, hello, I'm not thick, I'm sure you will... :)

As with many things I'm sure the 80/20 rule applies. A well constructed home screen which costs, say, less than £50 will get you 80% there. The other 20% is achievable by spending increasing amounts of money.

...PJ

Martian, Looks very good and it looks like you have put some serious time and effort into it, glad you are enjoying it.

Thanks inzaman waiting for your screenshots now have you had your grand opening yet :D . Oh..and thanks for your help with screen :smashin:

Thanks inzaman waiting for your screenshots now have you had your grand opening yet . Oh..and thanks for your help with screen

No problem, i have my LOTR EE marathon at the weekend, but we will probably have a grand opening in a few weeks, i.e a party as it is also my fiances birthday then as well.

Will post some screen shots as soon as i get chance to take some pictures, hopefully this week.

inzaman said:
No problem, i have my LOTR EE marathon at the weekend

were planning a lotr ee maraton as well, but to make sure that you get actually can see the last film watch what you drink :)

fellowship of the ring = tea + coffee
two towers = soft drinks
return of the king = anything

Al

Guys can anybody advise me on the best way to make a screen, as I am no chippy, also its for my loft room and as such I am limited on size, but I have fired up my new projector and think I can get away with the following :

Width 5ft
Height 4 ft

any comments, I can't put it in the lounge as the Plasma is hanging on the wall already aslo other half doesn't want screen up in lounge, and then there is the cabling.

P7140068.JPG

Projector will be ceiling mounted just beyond where the Velux window starts, on the center beam where you can see, and then the cabling will travel down the center beam a liitle, down the wall behind my monitors to the switch box and av gear...

As for well the screen is going see the pic below :-

If you don't wan't to shell out for a manual screen follow this thread from the start. A manual pulldown screen might suit you better , and for that size it would be pretty cheap :smashin:
If you still wan't to make one find out the exact height and width you need and add on extra for black borders [if you want to use flock tape].
If i were you and your on a budget a decent pull down would be about £180-£200 you wouldn't have the hastle and its going to cost you about £100 to make a Goo screen anyway.

.............or, check out the Light Fusion / MMud threads.

The results are worth the effort, and you'll be not alone as there are several others already starting thier own projects.

There will undoubtedly be some MMud left over, and the Mirrors needed have been sourced, so all that's really needed is a decision to aspire to something special. IMO, of course.:smashin:

MMan.

A humble representation of a Light Fusion DIY screen.

LowAmbientLFMMud-SE.jpg

BTW, if this suggestion qualifies as a "Highjacking", then :oops: :suicide:

.....I'm sorry

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom