1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gonzo: Bass management, que?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by gunrock, Jun 9, 2003.

1. gunrock

gunrock
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Gonzo et al,

I've just got my NAD T572 and Celestion AVP305 surround sound speaker package at the weekend and I have a few questions about the bass management setup of the amp.

I have set my speakers to "small" as the left/right and surround left/right only handle 90Hz - 22kHz and the centre set to small as it handles 60Hz - 22kHz, but I have issues as to what I set the LFE crossover to.

The Celestion manual (which is a bit noddy - too much reliance on pictures to save costs on translation methinks) specifies the sub to handle from 25Hz - 130Hz, but elsewhere it says "effective range is from 40Hz - 140Hz at a rate of 24dB per octave". So what should I set the cross over in the amp setup to.

To complicate things further, the sub has an analog dial for setting the crossover with 40Hz to 140Hz marked one on either side of the dial.

What I currently have is the amp LFE set to 100Hz crossover and I've tried manually as near as possible to set the sub dial to 100Hz.

What I hear is okay (well, it's better than okay - I almost took the day off sick just to relisten to my CD's. It's like a breath of fresh air), but then I've been listening to a sub-200 quid Sony ghetto blaster for the last five years, so I may be no judge :rotfl:

Any help appreciated, please.

Steve

2. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    Well you've almost got it right ... leave the Amp set with the crossover at 100Hz, then turn the subs crossover all the way up to 140Hz ... that will let everything thats sent to it pass to the amp ... even better switch the subs crossover to bypass if you have that facility.

Vikki

3. gunrock

gunrock
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Vikki,

Okay. No bypass but I'll turn that dial all the way up (odd to see analog dials these days, no?). The amp has quite a few LFE settings I think it'll go as low as 80Hz, would that be better?

Thanks for the swift repsonse.

Steve

4. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yup 80hz is the standard, although since your speakers go down to ~90hz try around there as well (on the amp subwooofer crossover)

5. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi Gunrock
    Have got my crossover set at 80hz (monitor audio s1 ) all speakers small and ive bypassed the subs crossover this to me sounds bob on with my set up but as nathan said with your front two speakers trailing off at 90 hz its probably best set at 90hz to start with and let the sub handle the rest.
    Just one thing about the nads remote it eats batteries the ones that came supplied lasted about two weeks when they do start to run out the remote is a real sod. replace with durracell high energy.
    Gonzo.:)

6. gunrock

gunrock
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for the heads up (I don't think 90Hz is an option I think it jumps between 80Hz and 100Hz, unless I'm mistaken). As for the remote thanks a lot, I wasn't aware of that! How long do duracell high energy ones last, roughly?

What version of the firmware are you running. I'm running 1.19 A7 which doesn't seem to have the input renaming of the 1.20 A7 firmware as seen here:

J Marshall's NAD T572 firmware upgrade

Steve

7. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi gunrock
    My firmware details v1.06 a7 iam happy with the receiver as it is wouldnt want to fit software myself also dont want to send it away.I know some people were unhappy with the volume ticking when turned up or down but it doesent bother me at all .
    The duracell batteries last about 3months but the remote will let you know as it will start being a sod.
    Yes your right about the 20hz increments so leave at 80hz.
    Cheers Gonzo.

8. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    Gonzo ... I would disagree with your "leave it at 80Hz".

The speakers are quoted at being 90Hz - 22KHz ... now assuming that at best thats at +-3db (i.e. half SPL) then it would be better to set the crossover to 100Hz cause otherwise you're going to have everything from 80Hz down to 90Hz at less than half volume at best (hope that made sence).

Vikki

9. gunrock

gunrock
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Gonzo,

Any idea what the background on/off setting is on the input settings is for?

Steve

10. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi Gunrock
    Sorry i dont know either, cant be that important though to the day to day use of the amp, could be somthing to do with the video side of the receiver.
    Gonzo.:confused:

11. gunrock

gunrock
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Gonzo,

I was trying to get the remote to learn my DVD player's remote codes (Pioneer 535) but I couldn't get it to learn any of my devices.

I can get the remote into learn mode (i.e the learn LED in steady green) but when I press the HTR-2 pause button, for example on the HTR-2 the LED is supposed to turn amber. On my remote the learn LED just stays green and the DVD device selector button pulses red for as long as I hold the HTR-2 pause button. I've tried other buttons and I've even reset the remote (successfully), but that learn LED won't ever turn amber. I've tried other devices (like the TV and CD ones too).

Any suggestions? Or do you think I have a faulty remote?

Cheers

Steve

12. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi Gunrock
    Right when youve got your remote in learn mode say youve selected tv and the green learn modes on and tv button is lit on the nads hand set, face tv remote and nad remote together ie pointing at each other press the power on button on the nad remote the light on the nad remote will turn amber then press power button on tvs remote the led will turn green the nad will then have copied tvs power on button .All you have to do then is repeat the process .which ever button you press on the nads remote the tvs remote commands will be assigned to that button ie press channel selector on the htr first then channel selector on tv remote the nads channel button will then command your tvs channel change.
    Hope this helps Gonzo.
    Ps fit new batteries in the htr remote because as i said the remote is a real pig when the batteries are low, the batteries that come supplied are crap (change them) this might be whats giving you problems the remote goes loopy with low batteries mine nearly got thrown out the window it wasnt till i read on a american av forums that a guy sent his remote back saying it was faulty(he had fitted supplied batteries thinking they were fully charged never thought these would be at fault as he had only just fitted them) once new durracell fitted no more probs.

13. gunrock

gunrock
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    So that would explain it then. The manual says this:

Enter Learning Mode: On the HTR 2, simultaneously press-and-hold for 3 seconds both a Device Selector
    key and the [•] “record” key (just below the [DISP] key), until the Learn LED at the center of the HTR 2
    turns steady green.
    • Press the HTR 2’s function key you wish to teach a command; the Learn LED will turn amber.
    • Press-and-hold the function key on the source remote: The HTR 2’s Learn LED will flicker amber for a
    second or two, then turn solid green. The command is learned.
    • Press the HTR 2’s Device Selector key again to exit the learning mode.
    If the Learn LED does not flicker amber you may need to vary the distance between the remotes.
    If the Learn LED turns red rather than green, that particular command of that source remote command
    could not be learned.
    Cancel Operation:
    You can cancel configuring a key, by pressing the active Device Selector key before the learn is complete;
    the Learn LED will turn red.

So annoying!

14. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi Gunrock
    Iwas only using the power button as a referance you can use any button on the nads remote you dont need the receiver to be turned on.The step by step guide as youve written it is dead on ive a feeling it will be the batteries thats causing the problem as i said i had trouble making the remote do anything right till i put fresh batteries in.btw the remote still all lights up even when the powers really low this is what makes you think the batteries are ok .Change them and if it doesnt work then you must have a faulty remote
    Let me know how you get on. Gonzo.

15. pwiles1968

pwiles1968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    The human ear allegedly can not differentiate the source of sounds below 120Hz I would argue different for certain environments, but if you put the sub at the front of the room and set it to 120 it will leave your main speakers operating well within their optimum band, I don’t promise it will sound any better but give it a try and see.

16. gunrock

gunrock
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have bought Duracell Ultra M3's and put them in and reset the remote. Still no dice.... Arrrgggh. Everything else works like a dream except learning remote codes, which is a pain as I have three other remotes that I want to retire....

Bugger!

Steve