1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gonna buy this week, still not sure which one...

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by NinjaKi11a, Sep 9, 2004.

1. NinjaKi11a

NinjaKi11a
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, so I'm finnally gonna buy a sub this week and I'm tending towards the BK XLS200. However, without being able to demo it, I just wanted one last opportunity to get feedback.

My room is approx. 6*8 metres. I don't intend to use it in stereo (though it might be a nice option). I won't be going super loud. It also needs to be a fairly small unit. My system is in my sig.

The other options were the MJ Accoustics Reference 100 and a REL Quake. How does the BK compare to these? My usual attitude is you get what you pay for - there's a £100 difference so I'm assuming these are marginally better, is this fair?

Comments (and reassurance ;) ) would be greatly appreciated! BTW, please don't link to to the budget subs thread: I've read everything under the sun about the XLS! :clown:

2. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    Don't be fooled by the price difference. The BK is sold without a middle man so you are getting better value for money.

3. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Agreed, the BK punches WELL above it's weight, for such a small sub, it doesn'y half sound awesome.

4. Roam

Roam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Remember the sub that the XLS200 is based on sold originally for £850 not that long ago.

5. mr. shr

mr. shr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I tried the MJ Ref 100 and the REL Quake and both are both excellent subwoofers. I also tried the REL Q150 which is one above the Quake and cost about 500GBP. The good thing is that these subs can be sampled at most dealers before you buy which is a huge bonus.
    Anyway, all three of the subs I mentioned are excellent and well worth their price tag.......................................................................................................................................untill you try the XLS!!!!

For me, the BK sub wipes the floor with the smaller subs mentioned and compares to (if not, exceeds) the performance of the Q150 (and costs almost half the price!!!!!)

I've tried a lot of subs over the last couple of weeks and sort a massive amount of advice from people on this forum. Do a search for my name under subwoofers and you'll see all the units I tried and all the advice I was given.

It seems you are in the same boat I was in. But since buying the BK, I've ditched the boat and now float around on a luxury cruise liner!! The XLS really is x-cell-ent!!!!

(Sorry, getting carried away now!)

Seriously, I think you will be very happy with the BK. With movies, it has a lot more kick than the Quake.
    The MJ didn't really do much with movies for me but was great with music.
    The Quake did a good job with both.

The BK does a awesome job with both.

Hope this helps.

Good luck

shr

6. NinjaKi11a

NinjaKi11a
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, my mind is finally made up. Gonna order the bad-boy now.

Thanks very much for all your help. I'll let you know when it arrives.