1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gonna buy a Nikon D70 - Need advice, advantages of UK stock?

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by GreatKingBowser, Jun 26, 2005.

1. GreatKingBowser

GreatKingBowser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey guys,

Gonna buy a Nikon D70 for my trip back to Vietnam. I see Nikon are still offering the £100 cashback deal but only exclusively with Jessops.

Is it worth the extra hassle of getting Jessops to pricematch a UK stock selling website then go through the rebate procedure? What's the cheapest site to price match? I've found that it'd still work out more expensive after the rebate than getting non-UK stock say from Pixmania (£590 odd).

Pixmania seem to be offering 2 year warranty and all that. Am I better off just ordering from them seeing as though it's slightly cheaper and I needn't bother with the cashback?

Advice much appreciated guys!

2. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It's not too much hasstle getting them to price match, they price matched my 20D easy enough. I don't know how long you'd have to wait for the rebate but for canon it can be a while. You may get a french manual if you buy from pixmania or they will offer you a pdf manual on CD. I'd check pricerunner for the best prices, pixmania is normally up there with the cheapest

Some people have not been happy with the service from pixmania, where as other have.

For myself i've always used jessops, i've returned 2 cameras and one lens and i like having a human to deal with. The last time i returned a camera i know that i'd have been stuck with the camera with any online company.

But that's a personal choice. If it was a matter of £20 then i'd say go for the rebate

3. GreatKingBowser

GreatKingBowser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You make a good point. I might have to go the Jessops route after all. What are some of the better UK stock selling websites that will be good to price match?

http://www.digitalfirst.co.uk/camdetail.asp?cat=Cameras&ProdID=1403

Anyone know if these guys are eligible to be price matched? The price after rebate would be actually cheaper than ordering from Pixmania. With so many sites it's hard to know who Jessops are willing to price match!

4. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    There's no reason why they should not do for jessops. They say that the company has to be in a 20 mile range (or so) of the store you use. But that's not actully true as i've had them from all over the country. But what you want to do is find say 3 of the best prices and take them in along with the phone number of the company.

With my 20D i think they went for the middle one of the 3 i brought in. They dont have to pricematch the full amount but they are ok to deal with and as long as it's a uk based company you'll get some sort of deal

5. Calpolaholic

Calpolaholic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    My mate bought one from Jessops last week and they price matched with another internet offer or near as dammit. I think they were £20 more than the best internet price. Go for it - you won't regret it. I'd still pay £700 for mine - trust me what you pay wont matter after you start using it. Its a brilliant camera.

6. GreatKingBowser

GreatKingBowser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh cool. What site/deal did he price match and what was the price Jessops gave him before the additional rebate?

The Jessops deal expires on the 30th June, so I gotta be quick it would seem!