Gonna build me a stand....(but know nothing..)

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by Toonaroond, Apr 23, 2007.

1. Toonaroond

Toonaroond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I have a need for a pretty specific cabinet/stand and it may only be temporary as we are moving soon so needs to be fairly cheap!

I only have to house an amp and a DVD recorder so not too complicated, but it needs to be max. 600mm wide x 500mm high and 550mm deep.
    I need it to accomodate an amp 220ishmm tall on the lower level (Pioneer AX5i) with a shelf to suit a Panny DVD recorder, approx 100mm high. It then needs to be able to hold some photos, candles and assorted paraphanalia on top for SWmightBO's approval.

I am thinking some nice grainy, solid wood with a natural finish, an open back for air circulation and wiring purposes and a solid flat bottom to put the amp on, other than that:rolleyes:

I have 2 weeks of garden leave and small amount of cash to spend on it so am thinking that a DIY project might be called for. The problem is that I am pretty poor on the DIY front, have limited equipment (saws, drill, screwdrivers, hammer etc but no routers, jigsaws) and no structural/jointing experience to go about this whole project.

I only have two questions - where do I find some nice wood and how do I do it?

Simple really....

Cheers

2. Miniholic

Miniholic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399
    How about something like this?

You can use your choice of wood for the shelves, and it's fully adjustable to accomodate any kit. The only downside is that it might not be SWMBO friendly.:rolleyes:

I built a projector mount for less than £10 using this method.

[​IMG]

You could always use T nuts under the top shelf to avoid having the fixings on display.

3. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,025
    If you have a nearby Ikea, it might be worth buying something close to what you want and modifying it. The only thing to note is that alot of Ikea stuff is veneered (ie not solid) wood, so when cut it doesn't present a nice edge..but if this is facing the wall/floor it might not be a problem.

I built a 'floating' corner unit for my conservatory system using an Ikea oak coffee table (£35 ish) and a bit of white speaker fabric after seeing something similar in a HCC install feature. I couldn't have bought proper Oak for that money and it was prefinished with a clear laquer.

I'll post a picture if you're interested?

4. Toonaroond

Toonaroond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Miniholic - that just needs me to pick some wood to suit - like it! Ok, this is where I show my ignorance, what are T nuts and how would they cope with the candles and photos etc?

Kelvin - show me the pic! I like the idea of speaker fabric, was thinking along those lines for the new gaf - A whole wall-long unit with front and centre speakers and all kit and wires in it, hidden behind some speaker fabric on flush hinged doors where you can't see the join....my TV on the top of the unit with a pull down PJ screen hidden in the coving above that comes down in line with the unit.... can someone come and make it for me??

5. Miniholic

Miniholic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399
    These are Tee nuts.

They press into the wood, giving a threaded insert that isn't visible from the other side, so that you would have a completely smooth top shelf, unlike the example in my post above that has domed nuts on the top.

You simply drill a pilot hole, and hammer them in. They are supposed to go on the other side and be pulled through, but I can't see why bonding them in place wouldn't work, as the other shelves would provide the strength.

6. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,025
    First time I've done this picture thing. Only used my camera phone as the Missus seems to have hidden the proper camera ATM.:D

The table is used is this one, they don't seem to list Oak as an option now, but they do have a Birch one:

http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?topcategoryId=15564&catalogId=10103&storeId=7&productId=11411&langId=-20&categoryId=15799&chosenPartNumber=00095036

The door is made of MDF (you can make out the cut outs in the photo though in real life they don't seem so noticable. The fabric is crudely stapled to the back of the door, so it doesn't look so good inside.;)

Attached Files:

7. Toonaroond

Toonaroond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Cheers kelvin - really like the floating idea and will probably look at that when we get to the next house - although my amp weighs about 20kg so will probably be difficult for someone with my limited skills!

Miniholic - these look like a better option for me, will add tehm to the list.

Just need to find some nice timber now - gonna try a salvage yard to see if they have owt proper good....

8. Miniholic

Miniholic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399
    I look forward to seeing the results.:smashin:

Make sure you remember to take some progress pics too, I meant to with mine, but I got carried away and had it finished within the hour.