Gone!

TheBurns

Went out this morning to take the kids to nursery/school, where the car was parked last night is now just a pile of broken glass!

According to the police, the engine would have been started via the OBD port, so much for modern cars being secure!

The police managed to track the car going into Birmingham with the ANPR system, so I may well get the car back at some point.

:mad:

FZR400RRSP

Banned
Bummer.
To me though, and I don't mean to upset anyone by saying this, the most annoying part of getting any car nicked would be getting it back.
I simply would not be interested in that.
I'd want them caught, obviously, but I'd look upon the car as 'sullied'
It would get the same look as my wife would if she'd gone with someone else.

TheBurns

Yep, I agree with you.

This car is jinxed anyway, I’d never had an accident till I got this car, then two in just over a year and then it gets nicked. Hopefully I’ve seen the last of it.

mjn

Distinguished Member
BMW?

ian475

I know how you feel.my wife's car got nicked a couple of weeks ago,during the night outside the house.
Broken glass no car.
Wouldn't mind but its only a vw up,when I looked into it it turns out there's no alarm siren on these,just a immobiliser,seeing as we have both keys can only assume they break the steering lock and tow it away!
Horrible feeling when these scrotes take what they want,they don't seem to consider the hassle they create.

un1eash

Distinguished Member
That is ridiculous. You'd think it would have something as simple as a motion sensor inside!

That's what the guy on Watchdog thought when someone nicked his brand new M1 and the insurance wasn't going to pay out because they said it could only be stolen with the key.
They then went on to show how easy it was and cloned a key in a matter of minutes by plugging into the cars obd2 port.

All caught on video also...

Mr_Wistles

Distinguished Member
All apparently. You break a small section by the drivers side wing mirror and are able to get your hand down with the OBD cable.

TheBurns

I know how you feel.my wife's car got nicked a couple of weeks ago,during the night outside the house.
Broken glass no car.
Wouldn't mind but its only a vw up,when I looked into it it turns out there's no alarm siren on these,just a immobiliser,seeing as we have both keys can only assume they break the steering lock and tow it away!
Horrible feeling when these scrotes take what they want,they don't seem to consider the hassle they create.

It's an Audi S4 so probably the same security system as your VW, my car was driven away as it was picked up on a police security camera. I'm completely shocked as to how easily it appears these cars can be stolen :confused:

The next battle is going to be getting a reasonably pay-out from the insurance company, I'm beginning to think that GAP insurance may have been a good idea.

Just bought a cheap golf to keep me on the road till the insurance is sorted out.

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
An argument for simpler cars.

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
Years ago I had my car stolen, it was a VW Corrado and it was my 2nd as I loved the first so much.

Recovered a few days later, some minor repairs done under insurance and traded in a fortnight later.
It had been absolutely thrashed. A police car pursued it (and lost it) on a dual carriageway when it was doing ~50+ MPH...... in reverse

=adrian=

Distinguished Member
Really sorry to hear that Mike, I bet you are gutted (I know I'd be). I hope all goes well for you in the end.

car-man

A simple security precaution for any car that can be started through the OBD port....find the fuse that controls the port and remove it.

TheBurns

After doing a bit of research into the subject, I don't think I'll be buying an Audi again!

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
Any car can be stolen if the thieves want it enough. Chuck it on the back of a transporter and drive away.

D

Deleted member 39001

I remember on here the owner of a BMW 5 series, he woke up to find it outside his driveway in a very quiet road, has a dog, and the car was on bricks from around his garden, wheels all gone. Simple to do so I found out, they just place bricks under the axes, let the air out, gone.
I think the only way to truly protect a car is a good garage and alarm system and a dog, in the garage.

Are those steering wheel covers that lock any good?

Hope you get a good payout Mike.

gary71

Very sorry to hear that. Be thankful that they were able to steal it without the key. The less capable thief will just break into your house (wether you are in or not) and get your key one way or another.

I had an new Audi S4 last year and left it parked on my neighbours drive for a couple of days (with permission) when they were on holiday. I woke one morning to find their house had been ransacked by a thief looking for the key.

Needless to say I no longer have the car as I can't expose my family to that risk.

Hope the insurance comes good quickly.

FZR400RRSP

Banned
This modern practice of breaking into the house for the keys leaves people with another quandary.
Put the keys somewhere out of sight, chancing your house being ransacked and/or people being threatened for them?
Or leave them somewhere relatively easy to find?
Then you become a target again when you inevitably replace the car (especially if it's a fancy one)!

Lee

This modern practice of breaking into the house for the keys leaves people with another quandary.
Put the keys somewhere out of sight, chancing your house being ransacked and/or people being threatened for them?
Or leave them somewhere relatively easy to find?
Then you become a target again when you inevitably replace the car (especially if it's a fancy one)!
Reminds me of this awful robbery last year...Boy Threatened With Axe - ITV News

I remember thinking at the time if I had loads of money and bought an expensive car it'd be safer on the family to leave the keys in it.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

HiFi Rose announces all-in-one RS520 audio streamer
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
LG Display set to launch its own 27 and 32-inch OLED panels in 2023?
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
What's new on Netflix (UK) for October 2022
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Starzplay streaming service rebrands as Lionsgate+
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
JVC adds Filmmaker Mode to latest D-ILA projector firmware
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published

Full fat HDMI teeshirts