Gone Girl AVForums Review

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
Well it lives up to being a great film and we loved it. If you have spent time reading the book you will also love it. If you are lucky not to have you will be blown away by this story of marriage. I see Oscars for some of the support stars and to a classic acting class in the lead role from Rosamund Pike. I did not feel that any of the cast did not act at there best... but can someone win an Oscar after using the C word I don't expect so. 9.5/10.... Gone Girl is going to be a classic.

Excellent review ,would like to get to the cinema but I fear I'll be waiting for the blu ray .
Where would you put this movie in finchers book of work Cas ? I have Seven at the top and panic room at the bottom .

Excellent review ,would like to get to the cinema but I fear I'll be waiting for the blu ray .
Where would you put this movie in finchers book of work Cas ? I have Seven at the top and panic room at the bottom .

Hah! What a question! As you can see, and as I noted, this will likely be something of a marmite film (who knows, maybe everybody but me will like it, but a few reviews I've read since have picked up on the final act) and so placing it in Fincher's film history is tough.

My personal fave is The Game, but Seven is so close it might as well be its equal at the top. As I mentioned, the first two thirds of this film gets us up to the giddy heights of The Game in stature, IMO. Those happy with the resolve will likely find it just as good, as a result, but those who didn't get on with the last half hour - like me - will never rate it amidst Fincher's best.

Indeed I'm struggling to think of a reason why I would watch it again... TBH, I felt the same way about Dragon Tattoo, but at least I could understand that people who hadn't seen the original would enjoy the remake. Here, there's no such justification.

The fact that so many people think it's a masterpiece means you definitely need to see it, but I'd be interested to know if anybody actually felt the same frustrations as me.

Cas

Great film and very thoughtful. Wouldn't probably watch it again as there isn't much of a replay value. In terms of how it ranks with Finchers film I would place it below Zodiac, Fight Club and Social Network.

Definitely not a masterpiece if anyone is actually claiming it is, nonetheless the finale was great as I was a bit wary from the feedback of the readers of the book.

Hah! What a question! As you can see, and as I noted, this will likely be something of a marmite film (who knows, maybe everybody but me will like it, but a few reviews I've read since have picked up on the final act) and so placing it in Fincher's film history is tough.

My personal fave is The Game, but Seven is so close it might as well be its equal at the top. As I mentioned, the first two thirds of this film gets us up to the giddy heights of The Game in stature, IMO. Those happy with the resolve will likely find it just as good, as a result, but those who didn't get on with the last half hour - like me - will never rate it amidst Fincher's best.

Indeed I'm struggling to think of a reason why I would watch it again... TBH, I felt the same way about Dragon Tattoo, but at least I could understand that people who hadn't seen the original would enjoy the remake. Here, there's no such justification.

The fact that so many people think it's a masterpiece means you definitely need to see it, but I'd be interested to know if anybody actually felt the same frustrations as me.

Cas

Cheers Cas ,I'm a bit fussy these days over movies that I buy and will only get them if I consider they're of multiple viewing potential . Funny you should mention girl with the dragon tattoo as I was considering that as a purchase but like 12 years a slave it's an uncomfortable watch in places ,I certainly don't feel entertained by it and that's my marker for purchases .

I wasn't expecting much from The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo remake but I thought it was a mesmerising thriller with a hypnotic central performance from Rooney Mara. Granted, I've not seen the original with noomi rapace. I do think Mara makes the movie good as Daniel Craig was less convincing as a wimpi-ish editor.

Well, went to see this and what a colossal disappointment it was. If your thinking of going to the cinema to see it, save your money. Poor acting, poor editing and an ending that went on forever. Not what I expected from the master, utter dross.

well - we all have different views - thought it was superb, 2.5 hrs flew by and excellent performances.

It was slick and it looked fabulous. I also enjoyed it very much.

I'm a big Fincher fan and this didn't dissapoint, I've never read the book but this was absolutely gripping from start to finish, loved the darkly comic tone as well.
Great performances from everyone and I can't wait to re watch this on blu ray, you just know the Ren Klyce sound design & Trent reznor soundtrack are going to an aural feast :)

Just got in from watching this. Fantastic film. I had no idea what this film was about having not seen any of the trailers or read any of the reviews, I was pleasantly surprised and although I hate to admit it, the Missus made a good choice for once! :smashin: My movie of the year for sure.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom