• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question Gone from a Sony kdl46w905A to a KD49XH8196, Help Please

StevenUK

Hi guys,

I first joined this forum 7 years ago when I was researching the purchase of the kdl46w905A, which sadly went to TV heaven last week, but was by far the best TV I have ever owned (I sorely miss it already). I originally paid £1600 for the kdl46w905A 7 years back, and was thinking that technology will have increased over the last 7 years enough that even decent spec TV's would be on a par these days.

So after a little research I spent £700 on the KD49XH8196 after reading all the reviews which was mostly "excellent picture, best I have had, amazing picture", etc. etc.

Here's the problem the KD49XH8196 arrived today, set it up, had a play with the settings, and I just cannot help feeling underwhelmed; I just don't think it is anywhere near as good a picture as the kdl46w905A.

Watching football is blurry with motion (panning), flicking lines on some content (noise?), I have tried all the settings and nothing works to improve it. Even general viewing, if somebody is moving their head, for example, you can see a 'blur', but on static pictures it is perfect.

The main problem is, when the players are not running about, the picture looks extremely good (similar to the w905A) but as soon as there is movement, it all turns to a blur - me and the wife both said it at the same time (can you see that?) and looks like standard definition, then they stop again, it goes back to being full HD standard. I cannot put up with that.

Tried everything so far, and just not happy with it. Yeah, I get that I have not spent £1800 on the latest OLED, etc. (I was tempted but my sons said I shouldn't have to spend that these days to get on a par with a 7 year old TV, which I agreed with), but surely tech should have improved since the days of the kdl46w905A, which like I said was a brilliant TV. It just feels like a total downgrade with this new H81, and this is supposed to be a HDR 4K Ultra HD TV, so I expected far better picture quality. Feels like I have gone back in time.

And then what about all the positive reviews on Sony's website? Are they just from people who have had poor TV's to begin with, etc? I am far from a high tech snob (even though I don't mind paying for quality) but I just don't get it, and already I am thinking of sending it back to John Lewis. :-(

Any advice would be appreciated.

Regards

Steven

LCDseeker

Distinguished Member
Hi guys,

I first joined this forum 7 years ago when I was researching the purchase of the kdl46w905A, which sadly went to TV heaven last week, but was by far the best TV I have ever owned (I sorely miss it already). I originally paid £1600 for the kdl46w905A 7 years back, and was thinking that technology will have increased over the last 7 years enough that even decent spec TV's would be on a par these days.

So after a little research I spent £700 on the KD49XH8196 after reading all the reviews which was mostly "excellent picture, best I have had, amazing picture", etc. etc.

Here's the problem the KD49XH8196 arrived today, set it up, had a play with the settings, and I just cannot help feeling underwhelmed; I just don't think it is anywhere near as good a picture as the kdl46w905A.

Watching football is blurry with motion (panning), flicking lines on some content (noise?), I have tried all the settings and nothing works to improve it. Even general viewing, if somebody is moving their head, for example, you can see a 'blur', but on static pictures it is perfect.

The main problem is, when the players are not running about, the picture looks extremely good (similar to the w905A) but as soon as there is movement, it all turns to a blur - me and the wife both said it at the same time (can you see that?) and looks like standard definition, then they stop again, it goes back to being full HD standard. I cannot put up with that.

Tried everything so far, and just not happy with it. Yeah, I get that I have not spent £1800 on the latest OLED, etc. (I was tempted but my sons said I shouldn't have to spend that these days to get on a par with a 7 year old TV, which I agreed with), but surely tech should have improved since the days of the kdl46w905A, which like I said was a brilliant TV. It just feels like a total downgrade with this new H81, and this is supposed to be a HDR 4K Ultra HD TV, so I expected far better picture quality. Feels like I have gone back in time.

And then what about all the positive reviews on Sony's website? Are they just from people who have had poor TV's to begin with, etc? I am far from a high tech snob (even though I don't mind paying for quality) but I just don't get it, and already I am thinking of sending it back to John Lewis. :-(

Any advice would be appreciated.

Regards

Steven

You've gone from a top end Sony set of it's time to a mid/low range set now. To get the best motion, HDR and upscaling you need to be looking at last year's XG95 (if there are still any in stock) or this year's XH95. Or if your budget is not up to that look at the XH9005 which is the next model down but is getting great owner reviews but it doesn't have the same HDR capabilities as the XH95.

Boostrail

Distinguished Member
Whilst I fully agree with LCDseeker's comments I note you do not say what source you are using? If other than the internal Freeview or perhaps Freesat have you changed the settings on any external source to match the requirements of the new TV?

StevenUK

You've gone from a top end Sony set of it's time to a mid/low range set now. To get the best motion, HDR and upscaling you need to be looking at last year's XG95 (if there are still any in stock) or this year's XH95. Or if your budget is not up to that look at the XH9005 which is the next model down but is getting great owner reviews but it doesn't have the same HDR capabilities as the XH95.

Cheers fellas, I appreciate the replies.

LCDseeker, I think you are right, and after watching the TV for a day now, I am convinced also it is a serious downgrade, and it's disappointing that tech has not come on in the last 7 years. I don't really want to spend more than a grand for a TV that is probably only going to last 5 years or so, do you sincerely think the following (kd49xh9505) would be similar, on a par, or at least a upgrade to the KD49XH8196 I have just bought?:

I just want similar to what I had with the w905a, or at least viewing that is not too dark, or blurred on sports, etc? without having to go through 5 x TV's to test, which I don't have the patience for.

Whilst I fully agree with LCDseeker's comments I note you do not say what source you are using? If other than the internal Freeview or perhaps Freesat have you changed the settings on any external source to match the requirements of the new TV?

Every source, picture is just too dark, and anything black/dark has zero detail, sky, netflix, freeview, it's all the same, but the TV also seems allergic to grass, because it just goes blurred and cannot see any detail, and on panning shots it almost makes you seasick :-(

LCDseeker

Distinguished Member

LCDseeker, I think you are right, and after watching the TV for a day now, I am convinced also it is a serious downgrade, and it's disappointing that tech has not come on in the last 7 years. I don't really want to spend more than a grand for a TV that is probably only going to last 5 years or so, do you sincerely think the following (kd49xh9505) would be similar, on a par, or at least a upgrade to the KD49XH8196 I have just bought?:

I just want similar to what I had with the w905a, or at least viewing that is not too dark, or blurred on sports, etc? without having to go through 5 x TV's to test, which I don't have the patience for.

Every source, picture is just too dark, and anything black/dark has zero detail, sky, netflix, freeview, it's all the same, but the TV also seems allergic to grass, because it just goes blurred and cannot see any detail, and on panning shots it almost makes you seasick :-(

I should have asked but are you watching much HD/UHD/HDR or lower source content? As the modern sets a built to show this as it should be but are also very good as showing just how poor quality some content is.

That said, yes the XH9505 would be a much much better set in every way, it's FALD, much brighter, better upscaling and also motion. If you are keeping your set for 5 years of so personally I spend the extra and get something that will give you the quality you are looking for. I love my XH9505 and don't see me needing/wanting to change it for many years.

StevenUK

I should have asked but are you watching much HD/UHD/HDR or lower source content? As the modern sets a built to show this as it should be but are also very good as showing just how poor quality some content is.

That said, yes the XH9505 would be a much much better set in every way, it's FALD, much brighter, better upscaling and also motion. If you are keeping your set for 5 years of so personally I spend the extra and get something that will give you the quality you are looking for. I love my XH9505 and don't see me needing/wanting to change it for many years.

Thank you for that, and mostly SkyHD (films sport) I watch. I've just been reading reviews for the last hour, and think I will go with the XH9505 (I'm assuming it is the same one I linked to from John Lewis?)

Just one last question, could you please do me a massive favour and actually check some football on it for me?, golf etc, and see if it blurs, as that is a clincher in our household, as we watch a lot of sport. If you say it does not blur (grass, etc) or give you sea-sickness, I'm going to order one :)

Thank you in advance. I really appreciate it.

LCDseeker

Distinguished Member
Thank you for that, and mostly SkyHD (films sport) I watch. I've just been reading reviews for the last hour, and think I will go with the XH9505 (I'm assuming it is the same one I linked to from John Lewis?)

Just one last question, could you please do me a massive favour and actually check some football on it for me?, golf etc, and see if it blurs, as that is a clincher in our household, as we watch a lot of sport. If you say it does not blur (grass, etc) or give you sea-sickness, I'm going to order one :)

Thank you in advance. I really appreciate it.

I can't find any golf but was watching MOTD last weekend and I was very impressed with it. The best sports motion on any Sony I've had. Its worth looking at the best motion settings (Mallets thread) settings to use though. I'll be amazed if you don't see a huge difference if you do get the XH95. Even the XH9005 would be a much better set and obviously save you a few pennies, it just doesn't have the same brightness so HDR won't be up to its full potential.

StevenUK

I can't find any golf but was watching MOTD last weekend and I was very impressed with it. The best sports motion on any Sony I've had. Its worth looking at the best motion settings (Mallets thread) settings to use though. I'll be amazed if you don't see a huge difference if you do get the XH95. Even the XH9005 would be a much better set and obviously save you a few pennies, it just doesn't have the same brightness so HDR won't be up to its full potential.

Cheers fella, think I'm going to bite the bullet and get one. I appreciate the advice, thank you. 👍

StevenUK

Looks like we might have to keep the horrible TV after all, as John Lewis have said as it has been opened we cannot return the TV 😥

LCDseeker

Distinguished Member
Looks like we might have to keep the horrible TV after all, as John Lewis have said as it has been opened we cannot return the TV 😥

You can return it if it's within 35 days. They are trying it on as you have to unbox a television to inspect it's condition. They might try to charge you a restocking fee though. Have you binned the box?

StevenUK

You can return it if it's within 35 days. They are trying it on as you have to unbox a television to inspect it's condition. They might try to charge you a restocking fee though. Have you binned the box?

No, box and everything is intact, I've also factory reset it so no way they would know I've turned it on. What they are saying is that because you have turned it on, data protection states in their terms that it cannot be returned, they are adamant about it. I am shocked actually, because I always assumed, like you say, that TV's can be returned due to distance selling regulations.

I'm going to try them again.... waiting on the phone again at the moment.

StevenUK

Sorted, being returned now, just had to be a bit more forceful with them, but it's put me off using John Lewis now, maybe thinking ordering the XH9505 from Richer Sounds instead.

LCDseeker

Distinguished Member
Sorted, being returned now, just had to be a bit more forceful with them, but it's put me off using John Lewis now, maybe thinking ordering the XH9505 from Richer Sounds instead.

Excellent news, pleased you got it sorted. I think they were just trying it on. I only buy my AV stuff from RS (they monitor these forums a lot and contact people if they see an issue) and can't fault them. If you wait another month or so I reckon there will be another price drop but if you're without then worth emailing your nearest centre and asking what their best price is and go from there.

StevenUK

Excellent news, pleased you got it sorted. I think they were just trying it on. I only buy my AV stuff from RS (they monitor these forums a lot and contact people if they see an issue) and can't fault them. If you wait another month or so I reckon there will be another price drop but if you're without then worth emailing your nearest centre and asking what their best price is and go from there.
Cheers, Mate. I'll let you know how it goes, and thanks again for the advice on everything.

I've boxed it all up now ready for collection. For now, it's back to the 10 year old 37" Foehn & Hirsch TV (from eBuyer back in the day) which we have always had as a back up, 1080p, it's got a scart socket and everything ha-ha :)

md178

I used to own a W9, it was a great TV for its time but the tech has moved on quite considerably since then. I have an XF90 now and I'm very happy with it.

StevenUK

I used to own a W9, it was a great TV for its time but the tech has moved on quite considerably since then. I have an XF90 now and I'm very happy with it.
That's what I'm saying though, if tech really had moved on, then a £700 Sony TV in today's market should easily be as good, if not better, than the W9 from 7 years ago, when if fact, it was light years away.

I'd say tech has stood still, if anything, unless you want to spend £1600+ (which after only getting 7 years last time out of the TV, I'm reluctant to do again).

Morden

Distinguished Member

I went from a w905a to an xg9505 and its definitely an upgrade on the w905.

The brightness on the xg is something else and colour depth is improved.

This years XH9505 is very similar in picture quality to the XG.

tvdavid

I am using the 55 inch Sony in the sig below but want the XH9505 think its the one to get but 65 inch is to much right now.

md178

That's what I'm saying though, if tech really had moved on, then a £700 Sony TV in today's market should easily be as good, if not better, than the W9 from 7 years ago, when if fact, it was light years away.

I'd say tech has stood still, if anything, unless you want to spend £1600+ (which after only getting 7 years last time out of the TV, I'm reluctant to do again).
I would never pay launch prices, I always wait a few months for them to drop or in the case of the XF90...2 years! You also have to take inflation into account.

StevenUK

I went from a w905a to an xg9505 and its definitely an upgrade on the w905.

The brightness on the xg is something else and colour depth is improved.

This years XH9505 is very similar in picture quality to the XG.

That's actually very good to hear that, as all I'm after is something as good as the W905.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom