Gone for it, even with a Communal Dish

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Phunky, Jan 15, 2008.

1. Phunky

Phunky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    Well i finally got my letter through for my Free Sky+ box and noticed a nice little offer inside it offering me Sky HD for £99 + install.

I was still a bit wary off this offer but i've been dying for Sky HD for ages and now with C4 HD even more so (its the main channel we watch)

My biggest worry has been the fact that we have a communal dish that is shared between about 40 apartments and it doesn't seem to be doing a great job!

I have trouble getting channels like Sky Two and Sky Three and when the last Hatton Fight was on we was lucky to get 30seconds of pixelated goodness (Sky would refund me either!)

Now im really worried the Sky HD wont work for me with the communal dish, but im hoping that when the installer comes round we can work something out and maybe even get a new feed to my apartment?

Has anyone else had a similar install? or problems with pixelated channels but still risking the Sky HD install.

2. fil_

fil_
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    do others in your appartment, suffer the same issues?

if yes, i'd say misaligned dish, failing lnb then knackered distrubuition setup, lastly but not likely the cable itself.

I very much doubt the sky man, will do a thing, or help etc.

Does the set up, come under building maintance etc, get on to them to sort it.

Mainly if your having issues allready then sky HDs going to be the same

3. james2909

james2909

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Do you have a dual feed or a single feed from the satellite dish? Sky + and HD needs a dual Feed, My friend is desperate for HD but cant have it cause his flat only has a single feed and he cant get a second. Id be interested to know how you get on.

4. fredsie

fredsie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    Not quite right - Sky+ needs two feeds, because the two-channel "watch one/ record another" feature of Sky+ uses both lines. The HD bit of a Sky HD box will work with only one feed, but then you don't get the two-channel feature. So your friend could have HD as long as he is prepared to live without the + features.

5. Phunky

Phunky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    Yeah, i told them i understood that i couldn't record and watch at the same time with a single feed.

Although he did say that if i get permission from the Building Management that Sky would install a new feed to my apartment from the Communal Dish and has left notes on my account about it.

I "Think" i have two feeds into my apartment anyway as theres a Sky socket in the Bedroom as well as the Living Room.

I'm going to put up a little not in the main entrance to see if anyone else has problems with Sky and if there after Sky HD as im sure if i get 5-10 people wanting Sky HD that Sky would pull there finger out and fix the dish!

6. 3sgte_power

3sgte_power

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Am having SkyHD switched on at some point this week via a communal dish. Am not aware of any issues, but the installers (MA Riley) seemed really clued up in-regards to the install, unlike actual Sky Installers themselves. Am not bothered about the + features, but i hope the PQ is upto scratch.

Will report back ;)

Mossy

7. Phunky

Phunky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    Same for me its more for the HD stuff and possible slightly better SD quality - sure i will use the Sky+ features but it will more likely be just for recording stuff when we are not in.

Tbh i also wanted to go for the HD Box as i didnt want to be lumbered with another install charge later on in the year.

I mean i've paid 2x£30 installation charges already this year and dont fancy paying any more after this!

8. Nivek TT

Nivek TT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,077
    I championed a communal install for my apartment building late last year and went to great lengths to ensure a double feed would be made available. Its not "typical" of communal installations apparently. Had it installed just in time to make use of the Comet 99 quid offer.

Not sure of the technicalities but the second (and third and fourth) feeds are of a different polarity to the first and the Sky HD box needs feeds of different polarity. The feed into your bedroom is most likely just split so won't offer the Sky+ functionality.

Apparently there is equipment out there that can successfully split a single feed (I assume it adjusts the polarity to build the second feed) in the region of 200 quid - or so I was told by my satellite installer during the process (Future TV). Speak to an independant satellite installer.

9. Phunky

Phunky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    Well there coming to install on monday and im going to make sure i get my £30 worth out of this installer!

Im getting in touch with my building managment now and will be asking if we can grant the Sky Installer access to the comunal dish as i want him to look into why i dont get Sky Two, Sky Three and other channels due to "Lack of Signal" or awful pixelation.

I am also going to see if i can get him to run a new feed to my apartment as the Sales rep at Sky said he could.

Fingers crossed!

Im replacing my current Sky box, but i would like to keep it just incase - will they try to take it away? I didnt want multi-room but i want the Sky box as i wouldnt mind putting it in the bedroom for FTA channels.

10. iSix

iSix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You own the sky box, so they can't take it off you.

11. Phunky

Phunky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    Thought so, just wanted to make sure in case he trys to take it with him!

12. fredsie

fredsie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    True, but it doesn't work. If you want them to fix it for £60 (or for nothing!) they might expect you to give the old one up as P/X, so they can recon it and use it again.

13. Phunky

Phunky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    Well we shall see - i'vr just also taken up there offer for Free Sky Sports and Sky Movies and im glad i've taken it before i had the HD installed because i cant get any of the Sky Sports channels without it breaking up as normal.

I can get some of the Movie channels like 401, 406 and SD1 and SD2 but any others just break up and are unwatchable!

14. fredsie

fredsie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    Sorry, I've gotten myself mixed up between two threads. :blush:

If you're getting a new HD box installed then your old box doesn't come into the debate. And you could always disconnect it and when the guy comes with the new box tell him the old one was kaput and you threw it away! :D

15. skytecbvmo

skytecbvmo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    The installer wont touch the dish pal they are not aloud to so how did you get on??

16. Phunky

Phunky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    I knew they wouldnt but its always worth a try :)

They did suggest using the bedroom feed but we found out that for some unknown reason that it is completely dead - so i've been left to try and get the building managmen to enable it for me and then will need to run a feed in to the living room :(

Another option he did suggest is using the FM outlet and converting it to a Socket F connection and trying that as sometimes depending on the system it can work - which i guess in a way makes sense as it should be coming from the same box and it's at least worth a try.

But it does seem that i will have to just badger the hell out of "Premier Estates" (anyone else delt with them? They run a lot of apartments in the North) and see why they dont have all SAT connection active in the build.

17. skytecbvmo

skytecbvmo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    You may very well find that the feed in the bedroom is a rf output feed that would be feed from rf2 fed from the living room.

18. Phunky

Phunky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    Nope cos surely you would need to hook up the RF2 somewhere in the living room.

There was no signal at all from the SAT one, it does look like a total separate feed in the bedroom which would kinda make sense.

I just need to find out from my landlord what "Premier Estates" have promised them Sky wise, as there stating they only cover the single feed in the living room and my arguement was that "What if..." i wanted Sky in the bedroom and not the living room? Would they switch over which feed works?!

Also i know someone else in the building has both feeds working as the Sky installer had setup Sky+ for him by using the feed in the bedroom.

Is the a grace period for canceling the service with Sky? As I might be quite tempted to let it go.

On the plus side the new box DID stop all the pixelation problems!