Gone Around 360Degrees - Hyundai Kona to Tesla Model 3 and Now back to Kona

PRESSTOG

Well we are back in a Kona,

After 2 years and 70k miles in our original 2018 (68Reg) Kona which was returned to Hyundai with faults in Aug 2020, we were moved into a Brand New 2020 (70 Reg) Kona by Hyundai,... After just a few weeks I finally gave into the Tesla itch and traded it in for a Model 3..

Due to the Great deal from Hyundai and high Tesla trade in prices we basically managed to get a Model 3 SR+ for over £10k under normal price.

So now 5 months and 11k miles in the Tesla Model 3 (Wow our mileage has shrunk due to Covid normally 45k+ a year).. I have just traded the Tesla in to a Hyundai Dealer for a PreReg showroom Model 2021 (70 Reg) Kona..

So what were the issues with the Tesla.
Not huge ones for me I probably would have stayed with it for another 6 months and traded it at a year old, but SWMBO hated it with a passion and blamed all the worlds woes on it. So Happy Wife Happy Life its Gone!

I felt it was very much form over function, looks nice (If you dont squint too hard).. The real downsides for me were the wasteful energy system, it seemed like the car went out of its way to use energy.

The Paint Quality, even taking great care we had a huge 5p size paint chip on the bonnet after a stone hit and peeling paint on the sills. Plus Vicky reversed it into a Rapid charger and put a ripple and cracked paint in the bumper.

Range.. Yes we only bought the SR+ and used it over winter, but the range was a shock 160 to 170 mile only on a run, when the Kona would hit 250-270 on the same runs, that lack of heat pump and 15+Kw smaller battery really hurt.

My main worry was warranty and what it was going to cost to fix things outside warranty. (And if you consider with our mileage we could easily burn through the entire warranty in 12 to 15 months. That was a worry). We had already had a replacement Centre Screen under warranty which is over £2k out of warranty, along with Wind Noise and Rattles from the Frameless Glass in the Drivers door that was a pain.

So as we watched the Kona prices drop due to the facelift front coming out in a few months (Looks like a deformed Model 3).. Bizarrely the interior has already been face-lifted with a new interior larger info screen and finally LTE Connectivity and an app.

A PreReg Showroom Model came up for £31k and the dealer offered a decent trade in price for the Model 3 which meant we walked away after 5 months use of the model 3 without being any worse off than when we went into it. So basically 5 Months and 10K Miles Free Model 3 Test..

So from our Original 68 Reg Kona

IMG_2419.jpg

To an uprated 2020 (70 Reg) Kona

IMG_20200901_093631.jpg

To a 2020 (70 Reg Model 3) SR+

IMG_20201015_114710.jpg

Now Back to a Kona

IMG_0085.jpg

So whats next.

Well 6 months time will probably be looking at the Mustang, as long as the early reports thats its really energy inefficient are resolve. 200 Miles on a 99kw battery I think not.

Kona managed 303 miles today on 64Kw with 5% spare. M1 to London and Back, Most Efficient car we ever had. And we have had a few EVs, 2xBMW i3, Zoe ZE40 3 Konas and the Tesla.. 200k Miles driven so far all electric.

GarethP

I love the idea of a Kona, but my historical issues with service at my local Hyundai dealer and follow up with Hyundai UK when I had issues with my i40 has, rightly or wrongly, really put me off the marque... my current deal is up in September, when hopefully we’ll have a better idea of work arrangements (similar to you, I have gone fro 30k a year to currently 2k since lockdown 1.0) as work are suggesting WFH may be the new norm.

PRESSTOG

I love the idea of a Kona, but my historical issues with service at my local Hyundai dealer and follow up with Hyundai UK when I had issues with my i40 has, rightly or wrongly, really put me off the marque... my current deal is up in September, when hopefully we’ll have a better idea of work arrangements (similar to you, I have gone fro 30k a year to currently 2k since lockdown 1.0) as work are suggesting WFH may be the new norm.

I can totally understand how you feel about Hyundai Dealers.. Our Local one it truly the worst dealership I have ever been to, I hate them with a passion.

Luckily we were pointed to a dealership further away that is very EV focused, the Dealer Principle is a Kona driver and active on the EV Forums, this has made life a lot easier.

Its a real shame that to find any sort of service from a car brand you have to hunt around for that odd good dealership buried in a pile of sharks.

deantown

Distinguished Member
The Hyundai ioniq 5 SUV looks fantastic, my nephew enquired about one the other day and was told that their first allocation of those cars had sold out in Hours. Worth a look for anyone interested in an Electric SUV.

PRESSTOG

The Hyundai ioniq 5 SUV looks fantastic, my nephew enquired about one the other day and was told that their first allocation of those cars had sold out in Hours. Worth a look for anyone interested in an Electric SUV.

Yep. it does look good, although I am not a fan of the large silver rear bumper or side panels.

Also coming in 2 battery sizes ones smaller battery than the Kona and one Larger.... The headliner with the batteries is that its an 800v system not 400v so much faster charging if you can find an 800v charger like Ionity. Will be almost 100 miles of charge per 5mins, which is crazy fast.

Will be one to look at going forward, as the Kona set the range/price bar when it came out in 2018 2021 could well be the Ioniq5s turn,

The £45k launch price is a bit steep will be interesting how much they strip out in the cheaper versions slated for 2022

Aristaeus

Well we are back in a Kona,

After 2 years and 70k miles in our original 2018 (68Reg) Kona which was returned to Hyundai with faults in Aug 2020, we were moved into a Brand New 2020 (70 Reg) Kona by Hyundai,... After just a few weeks I finally gave into the Tesla itch and traded it in for a Model 3..

Due to the Great deal from Hyundai and high Tesla trade in prices we basically managed to get a Model 3 SR+ for over £10k under normal price.

So now 5 months and 11k miles in the Tesla Model 3 (Wow our mileage has shrunk due to Covid normally 45k+ a year).. I have just traded the Tesla in to a Hyundai Dealer for a PreReg showroom Model 2021 (70 Reg) Kona..

So what were the issues with the Tesla.
Not huge ones for me I probably would have stayed with it for another 6 months and traded it at a year old, but SWMBO hated it with a passion and blamed all the worlds woes on it. So Happy Wife Happy Life its Gone!

I felt it was very much form over function, looks nice (If you dont squint too hard).. The real downsides for me were the wasteful energy system, it seemed like the car went out of its way to use energy.

The Paint Quality, even taking great care we had a huge 5p size paint chip on the bonnet after a stone hit and peeling paint on the sills. Plus Vicky reversed it into a Rapid charger and put a ripple and cracked paint in the bumper.

Range.. Yes we only bought the SR+ and used it over winter, but the range was a shock 160 to 170 mile only on a run, when the Kona would hit 250-270 on the same runs, that lack of heat pump and 15+Kw smaller battery really hurt.

My main worry was warranty and what it was going to cost to fix things outside warranty. (And if you consider with our mileage we could easily burn through the entire warranty in 12 to 15 months. That was a worry). We had already had a replacement Centre Screen under warranty which is over £2k out of warranty, along with Wind Noise and Rattles from the Frameless Glass in the Drivers door that was a pain.

So as we watched the Kona prices drop due to the facelift front coming out in a few months (Looks like a deformed Model 3).. Bizarrely the interior has already been face-lifted with a new interior larger info screen and finally LTE Connectivity and an app.

A PreReg Showroom Model came up for £31k and the dealer offered a decent trade in price for the Model 3 which meant we walked away after 5 months use of the model 3 without being any worse off than when we went into it. So basically 5 Months and 10K Miles Free Model 3 Test..

So from our Original 68 Reg Kona

View attachment 1466750

To an uprated 2020 (70 Reg) Kona

View attachment 1466751

To a 2020 (70 Reg Model 3) SR+

View attachment 1466753

Now Back to a Kona

View attachment 1466754

So whats next.

Well 6 months time will probably be looking at the Mustang, as long as the early reports thats its really energy inefficient are resolve. 200 Miles on a 99kw battery I think not.

Kona managed 303 miles today on 64Kw with 5% spare. M1 to London and Back, Most Efficient car we ever had. And we have had a few EVs, 2xBMW i3, Zoe ZE40 3 Konas and the Tesla.. 200k Miles driven so far all electric.

You've went through 4 cars in 2 years and will likely move onto your fifth in 6 months time??

oneman

I looking at the Mach E as well but a couple of things are putting me off. Early reports of build quality, there has already been a recall due to lose bolts, poor handling as it's built for US market and difficulty with public chargers.

PRESSTOG

It’s the range in the Kona that beats everything else

Did the 140 mile trip from home to Seaham in the Tesla on a regular basis. 65 on motorway M3 was getting 160 to 170 in a charge so had to stop on way and on way back. Average economy 3.6 miles kwh

same trip today in Kona got there (140 miles) and had used 41% battery. 4.9 miles kWh. So no need to stop on way or way back

none of the others seem to be able to get that economy.

am interested in Mach e. But as said poor economy and build issues are making a poor value

plus for the price (£31k for a preregistration showroom demo) with no miles on it the tech levels floor Tesla

Head Up Display
Air Cooled Seats
Heated Steering Wheel
Autopilot that works and does not phantom break
CarPlay and AndroidAuto
Real time sign recognition even on motorways
Satiable with speed cameras and even averages through average zones

did not realise how much I missed this sort of stuff till being back in Kona

and that’s the problem. There is no other car for under £40k that offers that tech and a real world 280 plus mile range

just wished it charged. But quicker on a rapid 76kw max is fairly limiting. But still manages 10-80% in a 45mun lunch break

Last edited:

oneman

I know the economy is worse but Mach E range shouldn't be getting less than 220 even on the base version.

oneman

Edmonds test showed 33.1 kwh per 100 miles on the AWD Extended range model. The standard model should do slightly better with less weight and only one motor.

Course you could go for the extended range which also bumps max charging rate 115kw to 150kw.

gangzoom

It’s the range in the Kona that beats everything else

For the amount of miles you do that is key, but for some one like me who keeps their very inefficient Model X charged at 60% 99% of the time range isn't a decider.

The Kia Ev6 looks fab, and I like Kia as a brand - named our Tesla Kia. But car choices are all very personal and numbers along aren't enough for me. I certainly am not going to stump up £60k for one without a week long test drive - Though interesting we did put down £70k on the X even before sitting in one and would happily do so again if we had the spare cash. It shows the impact of brand association on consumer behaviour.

It will be interesting to see how different the Ev6 is to own/drive versus say a £60k Model Y or even a £100k Porsche Taycan - which if I had £100k accessible today I would buy in a heart beat, but I 100% wouldn't for a Kia Ev6 even though its £40k cheaper and on paper quicker with more range.

The EV drivetrian is a great leveller, that was obvious to me even with the Leaf. So manufacturers have to bring something else to the table for their USP.

Range and efficient is clearly the top card for Hyundai/Kia and for many people that the most important. Tesla is their software integration, the rate at which they update the interface is unmatchable in the automotive industry. Porsche has heritage. The Ford Mach E, am not sure what it does better than anything else.

It is a great chance though for brands like Kia/Hyundai to breakthrough their tradition market cellings.....£60k on a Kia, who would have paid that a few years ago. However the lack of brand recognition at that price point will mean an uphill fight to take sales away from Tesla/Audi/Merc etc.

Its very interesting to see how the market will develop. But good on you for buying the same car three times (I think??), as a rule I would never own the same car twice - Though I do miss my DC2 ITR :(.

Last edited:

PRESSTOG

For the amount of miles you do that is key, but for some one like me who keeps their very inefficient Model X charged at 60% 99% of the time range isn't a decider.

The Kia Ev6 looks fab, and I like Kia as a brand - named our Tesla Kia. But car choices are all very personal and numbers along aren't enough for me. I certainly am not going to stump up £60k for one without a week long test drive - Though interesting we did put down £70k on the X even before sitting in one and would happily do so again if we had the spare cash. It shows the impact of brand association on consumer behaviour.

It will be interesting to see how different the Ev6 is to own/drive versus say a £60k Model Y or even a £100k Porsche Taycan - which if I had £100k accessible today I would buy in a heart beat, but I 100% wouldn't for a Kia Ev6 even though its £40k cheaper and on paper quicker with more range.

The EV drivetrian is a great leveller, that was obvious to me even with the Leaf. So manufacturers have to bring something else to the table for their USP.

Range and efficient is clearly the top card for Hyundai/Kia and for many people that the most important. Tesla is their software integration, the rate at which they update the interface is unmatchable in the automotive industry. Porsche has heritage. The Ford Mach E, am not sure what it does better than anything else.

It is a great chance though for brands like Kia/Hyundai to breakthrough their tradition market cellings.....£60k on a Kia, who would have paid that a few years ago. However the lack of brand recognition at that price point will mean an uphill fight to take sales away from Tesla/Audi/Merc etc.

Its very interesting to see how the market will develop. But good on you for buying the same car three times (I think??), as a rule I would never own the same car twice - Though I do miss my DC2 ITR :(.

Thats the great thing with the motor industry there is something for everyone.

I do think Tesla make good cars and the X is a great family mover. It’s done a lot like all the other Tesla’s to increase the exposure and interest from the general population in EVs

My use case really is extreme and on the borders so finding a car that almost perfectly fits those needs was lucky while the EV market was so small.

The Kona gave its all yesterday. Finally stopped to grab some shopping on way home at 271 miles from start and still had 30 miles left in the battery, And that was even with me spending an hour sat in the car in utility mode (camp mode for tesla owners) with the AC and cooled seats blasting away while Vicky was working

271 done and 30 left (plus an hour in Utility mode). And that was starting the day with a battery at 96% not totally full..

ED96E50D-A7A9-477E-BD4B-5932EAE05447.jpeg

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Cleer Audio speaker + HiFi Rose Streamer Reviews & Movie/TV Show talk
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom