Gone and ordered a Pioneer PDP-LX508

ROBERTT

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Well as the title suggests I have finally bit the bullet and pre-ordered the new Pioneer PDP-LX508 from AV-LAND:thumbsup::eek:

This is to replace my old but still very capable pioneer 434HDE. Was thinking of the 508 but as this is going to have to last me for the next few years wanted a full HD panel to get the most from my Sky HD and HD-DVD player. Don't tend to watch any SD these days anyway so hopefully this panel will live up to all the hype and be as good as the 508 but with the higher resolution:lease:

Bumptious, I am relying on you to get the panel as well and post your settings on here a la your excellent 508 user settings thread:smashin:

ETA at AV-LAND is hopefully next week so fingers crossed I will have it in my sweaty palms in the not to distant future:devil:

Any one else on here going to take the leap of faith:D

Probably a nice purchase Robert.

I'm going to wait for reports of the SD quality as I watch mainly that and no way am I buying a Full HD screen that has poor SD like the Panasonic PZ700, even though I do use HD probably 30% of the time.

The problem with the PZ700 is that the SD loss is huge, for not much gain in HD quality compared to a 768 line. So for me it's lunacy to buy a set with this amount of SD loss compared to not much HD gain. I suspect this Pioneer may act the way of the PZ700, but I hope I'm wrong.

Will be waiting for what people say about this set.

Please post your impressions?

I'm on a Pioneer 434HDE too. Will also get a 50" at some point (anything bigger is too big and heavy to get up the stairs properly). I'd also want the FullHD treatment.

In another thread, some guy said that he'd back-to-backed a 50" 1366x768 with a 50" 1920x1080, and he couldnt see any perceivable difference in detail levels. And the general opinion is you can see the difference in pixel size from 10 feet away. Can anyone else confirm or deny this?

The normal 508 is a great screen so the threads say, but is 'only' 1366x768. I'd feel that I'd I was missing out on some PQ and detail. And I'd have thought that the extra pixel density meant that graduation of colours would be finer at the very least.

Anyway, congrats on the purchase and definately let us know how it looks !

I have done the same but i have made a slightly bigger jump:

433mxe to the LX608D

I just cant wait to get it on my wall!!!!

If the PDP5000 (6G technology) is anything to go by, its SD performance is breathtaking.

I expect these to be as good if not better at this, along with the addition in picture quality that the Kuro blacks add as well as the new colour filters and the contrast ratio.

I suspect they are going to be special.

Churchwa I cannot get away with a 60" but if the 607 is anything to by, (scale) then a LX608 is just gonna be like wow.

If the PDP5000 (6G technology) is anything to go by, its SD performance is breathtaking.

I expect these to be as good if not better at this, along with the addition in picture quality that the Kuro blacks add as well as the new colour filters and the contrast ratio.

I suspect they are going to be special.

Churchwa I cannot get away with a 60" but if the 607 is anything to by, (scale) then a LX608 is just gonna be like wow.

********, when are you going to order yours? :D :D :D

Just had a look on the av land website to see how much the LX508D is and was pleasantly surprised to see it's "only" ÂŁ3299! I expected it to be much more than that!

Well that's my new 50" plasma decision made!

I'm also considering replacing my 436XDE for something bigger and better. However, reading the various problems 6G and 7G owners experienced I'm going to wait a while and see if it is as good is people expect. Sometimes I feel I am very lucky to have a perfectly working 436 (knock on wood...:)), so I'm a little hesitant to take the plunge. It's just to much money to get disappointed... Also I'm afraid the 50" version will be to small to experience full HD resolution as I sit about 9 feet from the screen. So I think Ill wait and go for the 60" in a few months time. Maybe even prices will have dropped a little by then. Well, there's hoping anyway....:)

I have done the same but i have made a slightly bigger jump:

433mxe to the LX608D

I just cant wait to get it on my wall!!!!

Congratulations! That would be my choice also, space and finances allowing, but I'll have to slum it with an LX508D. Hopefully prices will have dropped a bit by Dec/Jan time. :)

Steve

I'll be joining the 4th to 8th generation upgrade club by dumping the 504 for a LX508. Just waiting for a price from my local dealer. AV-Land are always first out of the blocks so will be interesting to see when we get some more dealers publishing their prices and delivery dates.

Just had a look on the av land website to see how much the LX508D is and was pleasantly surprised to see it's "only" ÂŁ3299! I expected it to be much more than that!

Well that's my new 50" plasma decision made!

You've just made my day!

This is the screen I have been waiting for.. time to dump the 503 (had it a few years) and this is the baby.. and at that price.. woohooo.

I seem to recall when I bought the 503 part of the justification and authorisation from her in doors was "oh the life on these is years, like 15 years in normal use so I wont need to replace it" ... not sure how to justify this one yet :) suggestions welcome

Are you wall mounting or desk stand?

My PDP-503 is wall mounted and I am assuming that I won't be able to use the existing bracket that I have.. anyone got any recommendations for a good wall mount for these babies?

TIA

Are you wall mounting or desk stand?

My PDP-503 is wall mounted and I am assuming that I won't be able to use the existing bracket that I have.. anyone got any recommendations for a good wall mount for these babies?

TIA

Not sure about the 503 bracket but I am told that the WM01 that was the bracket for the 504 will fit the 508

Not sure about the 503 bracket but I am told that the WM01 that was the bracket for the 504 will fit the 508

or if not then :

B-Tech BT8422
AVRabbit.com

My wife asked me earlier if I had decided which plasma I was gonna get. When I told her how much it was, she just said " you work hard and earn decent money so why not"

She must be after something, otherwise I'm sure it would've been much more difficult than that to justify that sort of cash on a tv!!

My wife asked me earlier if I had decided which plasma I was gonna get. When I told her how much it was, she just said " you work hard and earn decent money so why not"

She must be after something, otherwise I'm sure it would've been much more difficult than that to justify that sort of cash on a tv!!

Do you get your milk delivered :)

In pink tubes with veins in ?

Well thats the first job done. My 504 just sold on Ebay :) so after tonight there will just be a big space on the wall until the 508LX turns up. Life without Plasma.............scarey

How much did you get for that? Wondering what I can get for my 503 with 19k hours of use.

How much did you get for that? Wondering what I can get for my 503 with 19k hours of use.

I got ÂŁ899. There are 502 and 503 panels on Ebay now if you want to see what you might get for yours.

Is AVland the only place that's got this plasma for pre order?

Steve

Not bad at all!

Did AVLand give you an ETA on the LX?

I'm not getting mine from Av-Land and I seriously doubt they will ship this week or next. My money is on first week in October but hey.....the bracket is looking good on the wall :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom