Gone and broken something - need a little help on identifying which part to replace.

p9ul

I decided to give the innards of my phat ps3 a clean out after reading that dust have a habit of clogging up the fans - considering I've had this thing since shortly after launch and the dust that was flying around when we built an extension last year - I'm suprised it took as long as it did for it have an overheating problem earlier this week...

So I managed to get at the innards without too much fuss following an internet guide, but when trying to disconnect the blu-ray drive from the data cable I've gone and broken a connector, so of course now the unit won't eccecpt and discs let alone play them.

The peice I'ce broken is small strip of black plastic which appears to hold the ribbon cable onto the BR drive - but I don't know if it's part of the ribbon or part of the drive itself. Looking at internet pictures of the ribbon (about £2.50 on ebay) there doesn't appear to be any connectors on the end - is this correct?

Also, I've looked at replacement BR drives but a few places seem to require you to swap over a PCB from your current console onto the new drive, and I'm pretty sure it's this PCB which is where the ribbon cable connects to - so I dont want to buy a new BR drive only to find that not the part I need.

Any advice for a clumsy git? :suicide:

p9ul

I've rang a few repair places (some more helpful than others) and the bit I've broken is part of the PCB - by all accounts if you buy a new BR drive you still have to refit your own PCB so that wouldn't help.

Anyway - I've decided to send it off - approx £25 to fit a new connector onto the PCB and I'll try to to balls it up when it comes back...

Samorlg

I've rang a few repair places (some more helpful than others) and the bit I've broken is part of the PCB - by all accounts if you buy a new BR drive you still have to refit your own PCB so that wouldn't help.

Anyway - I've decided to send it off - approx £25 to fit a new connector onto the PCB and I'll try to to balls it up when it comes back...
Have you the bit of plastic you broke off still? if so then just try to refit it in it's closed position making sure the ribbon cable is fitted properly first, it should be tight enough that it will just hold in there without the need for glue or tape, trust me, been there.

Nakatsu_Hime

Ahhh, I think I know what bit you mean. It's the top edge of the ribbon cable connector clamp. Usually, you just poke the cable back into it, but the clamp (basically, an end connector orifice with contacts) is surface-mounted onto the PCB).

As Samorlg correctly points out, you just need to engineer a jury-rigged method of maintaining constant contact between the PCB-end contacts and the bared ends of the ribbon connector.
If the PCB positioning allowed it, a simple wooden peg would probably suffice, but having taken apart a PS3, I'd hazard a guess that this is not physically possible. Plus, my name isn't Mr Heath Robinson.

p9ul

I did try something along those lines by keeping the ribbon in place using my finger - the blue LED lit up but it wouldn't accept any discs and I was a bit apprehensive about getting one stuck inside too so thought I'd better leave it to someone who knows what they're doing...

Top Bottom