Golf general advice and help thread.

Does anyone use a GPS phone app? I've downloaded one called The Grint which seems quite good but are there others out there worth trying?

I've finally got my application in for membership after 14 yrs away, apart from the very odd round here and there. My membership will officially start in October but I've been told once I get the acceptance letter I'll be able to play and get 3 cards in before the end of the month to get my handicap.

I can't wait to get back into properly again.

Does anyone use a GPS phone app? I've downloaded one called The Grint which seems quite good but are there others out there worth trying?

I've finally got my application in for membership after 14 yrs away, apart from the very odd round here and there. My membership will officially start in October but I've been told once I get the acceptance letter I'll be able to play and get 3 cards in before the end of the month to get my handicap.

I can't wait to get back into properly again.

Not used any phone apps as I have a shotscope watch but "personally" i would find using a phone/in and out of bag all the time, annoying.

Wouldn't want it in my pocket so constantly back to the bag and stuff would just annoy me.

Not used any phone apps as I have a shotscope watch but "personally" i would find using a phone/in and out of bag all the time, annoying.

Wouldn't want it in my pocket so constantly back to the bag and stuff would just annoy me.
I like the look of those Garmin watches so at some point I may go for one of those, but for now I'm just looking to use something to give me yardages etc without any additional expense.
Because the rounds I've been playing recently have been non competitive, I've been using the app as my scorecard, and then transferring the info from the app to the scorecard for my own records. So the phone is in my back pocket and just takes the place of the scorecard.

I'll have a google reference Shotscope later as I haven't heard of it.

I still prefer a rangefinder device to an app. I couldn‘t wear a watch to play golf.

Personally, I don’t get the point of the shot tracking stuff either. I’ve still never played with anyone who uses it, so I guess I don’t know how useful it is.

I know how far I hit my clubs, a rangefinder gives me the distance to the flag or any other bit of the course I aim for, so… 🤷‍♂️

I still prefer a rangefinder device to an app. I couldn‘t wear a watch to play golf.

Personally, I don’t get the point of the shot tracking stuff either. I’ve still never played with anyone who uses it, so I guess I don’t know how useful it is.

I know how far I hit my clubs, a rangefinder gives me the distance to the flag or any other bit of the course I aim for, so… 🤷‍♂️

yeah - totally understand.

I thought I could never play with a watch, Shotscope is actually so small and light - I don't notice it.

Stats are interesting for me (geeky side of me) and not just the distances.

I've made some good improvements on certain holes by reviewing my numbers and seeing where i'm loosing shots/adjusting tee shots etc.

I used to hit driver off the 2nd (par 5, 500 yards) almost everytime.... Found hitting 3 wood now is better by nearly 0.5 shots on average. Find fairway more often etc. - would never have known this without seeing the stats/data etc

Also they improve it all the time, and for unknown courses it's pretty good where you can't always see where your going to laser pins/bunkers etc

I've always taken my watch off as part of my pre round routine, so keeping it on would feel strange to me, though I'd probably get used to it. I also wouldn't have the nerve to use a rangefinder for a while yet, I can just hear the laughs from my golf partners now if I topped one. That'll probably change once I'm playing regularly again and get 'upgraditis'.

At my old club I used to carry a yardage book and scorecard so the idea of using a phone app with that info on, plus live yardages etc has worked ok for me so far. It was also useful as I played on a few different courses.

I'll keep going with The Grint for the time being unless anyone uses a similar/better app they can recommend.

Last edited:
I think maybe I’m a bit anti-gadget now. Probably frustrated by years trying to help people who thought they were better off with a new club or gadget than going for lessons or actually practicing 🙂

Another one with the Shotscope. Too much faff having it on a phone, tried it before and it kept going to sleep (you can disable that obviously), didn't work very well etc and as mentioned above keep having to get it in and out of your bag.

You could try a dedicated GPS that attaches to your bag, if a watch doesn't float your boat.

Maybe it’s just because I’ve got girly wrists 😂

Has anyone compared yardages from their shotscope/other smart watch to other systems? Launch monitor/range based yardages like Toptracer?

I find Toptracer Range to be a bit flattering now.

Last edited:

Has anyone compared yardages from their shotscope/other smart watch to other systems? Launch monitor/range based yardages like Toptracer?

Using Shotscope & Cheapish range finder - up to about 200 yards there is very little difference, 2/3 yards.

Range finder (cheap one) can be a little dodgy over 200 but generally I'm hitting 3 wood/hybrid anyway so it's full gas and yardage doesn't really matter!!

Shotscope for me isn't that much about yardages, but the stats are impressive and it's so fluent to use. Maybe picks up/misses 1, at worst 2 shots a round which are easy to correct post round.

If you want something cheap ish , quick and easy to use that fits in your pocket then the bushnell Phantom is OK.

download.jpeg.jpg

I use the shotscope and I'm not a watch wearer at all . Actually the only time I do wear one is when I put on the shotscope .

Pound for pound the Shotscope watch and app are heads n shoulders above anyone else using this tech .

And it's a UK based company.

New Big dog is finally here .
20210902_165156.jpg
20210902_165247.jpg

Will give it a bash tomorrow morning.

Yeah, we used to stock Bushnell stuff, it’s good kit.

All I really want to know is how far to the pin, as accurate as possible, and how far I hit my clubs. Using a rangefinder suggests I hit it shorter than Toptracer range, which is what I recently went off for my yardages.

Yeah, we used to stock Bushnell stuff, it’s good kit.

All I really want to know is how far to the pin, as accurate as possible, and how far I hit my clubs. Using a rangefinder suggests I hit it shorter than Toptracer range, which is what I recently went off for my yardages.
The more rounds one uploads from watch to app on Shotscope gives one average yardage for each club .

Obviously it can't account for slope weather conditions etc but for the club golfer it's invaluable as it also shows up weaknesses in ones game ( including putting ) .

The club golfer only needs the average yardage of each club due to nature of our skill and strike .

As such a simple front, middle and back yardage is all that is needed . The watch though does a bit more in yardages to hazards that is useful for lay ups .

I should also add that my club uses a traffic light system for pin placement so we know at a glance if the pin is front,middle or back .

The club golfer only needs the average yardage of each club due to nature of our skill and strike .

As such a simple front, middle and back yardage is all that is needed . The watch though does a bit more in yardages to hazards that is useful for lay ups .
I get where you’re coming from, but I’d like to know how far I hit it when I strike it properly. An average of shots from a variety of lies, conditions, strikes, whether my back is being a ****, etc., won’t really give me that.

To get proper yardages you usually wait until fully warmed up, hit 12-15 or so balls, delete the poor strikes and then take an average. I don’t have access to a launch monitor at the mo, and can’t laser my balls (ahem) at the range, so I’ve been working off Toptracer results.

I get where you’re coming from, but I’d like to know how far I hit it when I strike it properly. An average of shots from a variety of lies, conditions, strikes, whether my back is being a ****, etc., won’t really give me that.

To get proper yardages you usually wait until fully warmed up, hit 12-15 or so balls, delete the poor strikes and then take an average. I don’t have access to a launch monitor at the mo, and can’t laser my balls (ahem) at the range, so I’ve been working off Toptracer results.
Are you trolling myself here cus it feels like it ? You're not played in a while club golfer without a current HCP or membership asking for advise on club yardage but also ignoring that advise on the cheapest option .

WTF is an attempt at proper strike, yardages and gods will for a want to be club golfer starting back into the game at a new club ?

Take the cheapest option for fudges sake . Move on if you need more info and data .

Look forward to watching your rounds on the tour circuit as your needs are above ours .

Are you trolling myself here cus it feels like it ? You're not played in a while club golfer without a current HCP or membership asking for advise on club yardage but also ignoring that advise on the cheapest option .

WTF is an attempt at proper strike, yardages and gods will for a want to be club golfer starting back into the game at a new club ?

Take the cheapest option for fudges sake . Move on if you need more info and data .

Look forward to watching your rounds on the tour circuit as your needs are above ours .

easy.... @raduv1 - He's not trolling - he's just saying how he would do it.

I think @Graham27 is an ex golf pro/fitter or alike (correct me if I'm wrong please) - he knows his stuff.

I don't think he's trolling at all - he's just saying that he doesn't need anything on his wrist/gps etc and if he needs a yardage he would use a laser. He's not having a go at anyone else's way of playing/yardages etc

To be fair - again Shotscope has 3 categories for each club yardage wise so you can get a feel over time for the various distances.

- Average which is ALL shots including duffs, chips, hacks out the rough etc.

- Then P Average - Performance Average uses algorithms to remove all outlier shot distances (both long and short) to give the golfer a true representation of the distance a well struck golf shot travels. This is what I based my general yardages on

- Then Longest - which is fairly obvious.

I dont need a rangefinder as I usually top everything 50 yards.

I didn't mean to start anything so apologies if my questions lead on to what looks to me like a misunderstanding.
I've just found it interesting how much the club game/player have moved on since I was a regular player. It was only 2008 when I stopped but I've even had to learn new rules like dropping the ball from knee height. I don't get that one at all, but then again when I first started playing it was an over the shoulder drop :laugh: . Rangefinders/watches/apps weren't allowed and it's just been an observation seeing everyone with at least one of these during a round. I played with a guy recently who had GPS built into his trolley, an app running on his phone sat next to the GPS, a watch, and then he pulled out a rangefinder 😲.

I guess like anything it's horses for courses and soon enough I'll know what works for me and doesn't. Christmas and birthdays should take care of some of the bits I'd like (new trolley is a priority), but I'll be spending my own money on lessons.

Not at all, so I find your post a wee bit unnecessary. There are a number of posts in this thread which I could have corrected or criticised, but I don’t judge.

I’m getting back into the game after an enforced absence due to illness. I know a fair bit about equipment but I was interested to hear opinions about things which I don’t really get. Booyaka seemed to understand what I was asking and replied in an really informative manner. I didn’t know, for instance, about the P average thing which sounds closer to what I would need.

I‘m not a pro (chose not to) but was of the necessary standard. I've managed golf businesses and did some clubmaking and fitting for years, including for guys who now play on tour. People I’ve worked with have also played on tour. If you think my comments are overly technical and suggest I’m trying to be a tour player, try golfwrx or similar forums and see how you get on. I’ve posted there for years under a different name, on far more technical matters than this, and never had a problem. Funny then, that someone thinks I’m trolling just because I don’t want a cheap GPS device.

The reason I want my correct yardages is so I can sort out my bag without having to chop and change. It’s the standard way it’s done at a decent fitting. The importance of shooting low scores straight away is that it’s the only way I can get into a decent club locally. Our clubs offer incentives for low handicap golfers which might mean I can skip part of the 12 year wait and almost £10000 in fees before I‘m a full member.

Last edited:
Shotscope data from 2021 for all my rounds (excluding a few 8/10/12 hole knocks)

So like I say my 7 iron/8 iron Average (dark blue) is WAY down as I sometimes bump & run/chip with these clubs around the green.

P-average is light blue is more "my" normal numbers on well hit shots.

Green is longest.

Gold club is current club, hence why 2 drivers, 2 three woods. New driver only had a single round so stats not showing a number of rounds yet hence looks shorter than my old one!!

But again - stats show that new 3 wood on average is 17 yards longer than old one. (2 iron and H21 are no longer in the bag)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210903-131427_Shot Scope.jpg
    Screenshot_20210903-131427_Shot Scope.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 24
I'm also a big shotscope fan, had the original and moved into the v3.

I get the concerns about wearing a watch I thought the exact same, but it's actually so comfy you just don't notice it.

I'm also a geek with the data and like to see in numbers where I'm also going wrong, I find it very accurate on the yardage matches up to my previous fittings and skytrak.

Will see if I can get these numbers down over time...

IMG_20210901_165922.jpg

Screenshot_20210903_153800_com.shotscope.jpg

PW - 196yds? 60° 142yds? What?! Steroids, extra porridge?!
aye - PW shot - not sure where that is.... There was a massively downhill 2nd shot I played at a one course - ground was like concrete...maybe that was the one

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom