Golf general advice and help thread.

I'm going to wait another month or so for new clubs to appear and then head for another fitting at my local pro.

I did like the Honma's but at £1200 a set it's a lot if I then want to look at wedges/driver/hybrids etc.

Most new model Ping/Mizuno/Titlest/TM etc should be out in the next 4-6 weeks.

I game a set of Srixon z545 irons, quite interested in the latest srixon new offerings.

I'm planning on working on my swing over the winter and then will book a fitting at this place near Edinburgh, it is highly regarded and a lot of the folks at my club have recommended them:

I game a set of Srixon z545 irons, quite interested in the latest srixon new offerings.

I'm planning on working on my swing over the winter and then will book a fitting at this place near Edinburgh, it is highly regarded and a lot of the folks at my club have recommended them:

£225 is a lot for full fitting - Most places will at least discount the cost off the new clubs you buy etc.....

That is very true, I think for me though I'll likely be doing my upgrades incrementally so I'll prioritise an iron fitting. I've been custom fit quite a few times over the years and my most recent (expensive) purchases just haven't worked out for me so I've asked Santa for some sggt vouchers 😀

A really good place that I've used in the past is Clydeway golf (uddingston) which discount the fitting cost against purchases. Got my srixons from there and at the time I was putting them head to head with a more expensive Callaway set, which I could have easily bought from there but the guys were completely unbiased with the offerings available and I ended saving about £400 on the set where the performance was comparable to the Callaways.

If you go to a place like American golf the staff have incentives to sell products at varying times of the year so finding a good independent place with no bias towards brands is key I think when it comes to getting fitted.

100% agree - Known my local pro for 30 years - he stocks Mizuno/Ping/Titliest/Taylor Made etc so I know going to see him is well worth it as he's unbiased.

I did very much like the honma tr20 - again no hard sell from the guy at Pure Forged - just hit them, played around with shafts, and that was it.

Steady round this morning with a two over 89. Kept the ball in play for most of the round with only a couple of snap hooks off the tee.

As we move into the winter months I'm only using the back yardage on my GPS as I find it the best option for clubbing at this time of year.

New Titlest Drivers look amazing....

TSi METALS

Steady round this morning with a two over 89. Kept the ball in play for most of the round with only a couple of snap hooks off the tee.

As we move into the winter months I'm only using the back yardage on my GPS as I find it the best option for clubbing at this time of year.
Same here, Adding a club to most shots now.

Solid 83 today for me - two lost balls. Again hit the ball very decent - course in very good nick/weather was good.

Card ruined by a silly run of bogie/doube/triple at 11/12/13.

Followed at par 3 14th by a thinned 7 iron (i mean horrible thin) to 10 foot, holed the put for birdie 2! :laugh: :laugh: - No pictures on a scorecard i guess....

Two ball better ball stableford medal tomorrow. Looking forward to it.

First round out with them, 82 with a 7 on the 17th (sick face)

Screenshot_20201018_112331_com.shotscope.jpg
IMG_20201017_120918.jpg

Nice pic.

44 points in the competition yesterday, 2 points back from winners. It was a long old course yesterday definitely clubbing up by one sometimes two. Winter golf here we come :thumbsup:

Yup definitely clubbing up time of year , also put my stronger lofted hybrid back in the bag as have removed my GW that was to close in loft to my cbx2 wedge.

Should be fun tomorrow out on the course . Put my Ping g410 in flat +1.0 setting and taken out the 14 gram back weight . As its a later tee off time I will check it out at the range before hand .

Why ? Why not :D .

Should be fun tomorrow out on the course . Put my Ping g410 in flat +1.0 setting and taken out the 14 gram back weight . As its a later tee off time I will check it out at the range before hand .

Why ? Why not :D .
Funnily enough brought the driver in from the car to reduce the loft to see if I can get a flatter flight and a bit of run. Currently balls dropping out the sky and plugging..

Funnily enough brought the driver in from the car to reduce the loft to see if I can get a flatter flight and a bit of run. Currently balls dropping out the sky and plugging..

Was bored at home today and just checking the shaft balance point with or without the 14 gram head weight . Its less than an inch so thought I'd see if I can see any difference to feel and shot .

Putting it into flat lie setting and reducing loft by one degree, along with taking out the weight should ( theoretically) reduce the spin rate . Also reduce my left miss.

Guessing I will go back to my comfort ( finding fairways )setting though .

Should also add that the Ping driver heads are the heaviest out there for the big name brands so I may have more leeway in changing the swing weight. Its the reason why the stock shafts are counter balanced and even the tensia orange option is counter balanced.

Last edited:
Cheeky little purchase today.

My existing Taylormade rescue must be around 15 years old now (this old!!)

Local Facebook group - guy selling this - used but excellent condition. 19 degree, stiff shaft.

Look forward to giving it a bash

Blowing a gale out there this morning but we managed to dodge the rain . Shot a four under 83 in that and really enjoyed playing different shots to flight the ball under the wind .Complete opposite for my mate as his weak high cut was killing him this morning. Played lots of 3/4 punch shots upclubbing by 2 to 3 clubs at times to keep swing speed lower .

Taking a degree of my driver and putting it in the flat setting has also helped . Not anymore carry but less spin resulting in a bit more run once it hits the fairway.

Yup loved that challenge out there today .

Last edited:
Swopped the bag out as I no longer carry...

IMG_20201021_110620.jpg

Like the cushion👍 Nice bag too.

Had wedge fitting this morning, bit wet but ok. Went for the cbx2s over the ping glides which felt a bit heavy and not quite as good on the eye. 56 SW and 52 GW.
Also had a wee lesson on chips and instead of chipping of the backfoot with a swing straight back and through he suggested ball in middle of stance, heel of the club slightly raised and then back and through and the ball certainly went higher on small chips. Will try this out tomorrow in a bounce game.

Like the cushion👍 Nice bag too.

Had wedge fitting this morning, bit wet but ok. Went for the cbx2s over the ping glides which felt a bit heavy and not quite as good on the eye. 56 SW and 52 GW.
Also had a wee lesson on chips and instead of chipping of the backfoot with a swing straight back and through he suggested ball in middle of stance, heel of the club slightly raised and then back and through and the ball certainly went higher on small chips. Will try this out tomorrow in a bounce game.

Nice one , hope you get on with them as I do , especially on full approach shots. Funnily enough I will be having two, maybe three lessons concentrating on my short game . Only the other day I commented mid round that although im playing of 16 I have the short game of a 36 hcp , its pee poor at times .

Nice one , hope you get on with them as I do , especially on full approach shots. Funnily enough I will be having two, maybe three lessons concentrating on my short game . Only the other day I commented mid round that although im playing of 16 I have the short game of a 36 hcp , its pee poor at times .
Same here dropping shots around the green and also shorter approach shots. I have vowed to get on top of this for next year. So new wedges are a start plus an incentive to start practicing more.

Cheeky little purchase today.

My existing Taylormade rescue must be around 15 years old now (this old!!)

Local Facebook group - guy selling this - used but excellent condition. 19 degree, stiff shaft.

Look forward to giving it a bash
Just noticed the link to the Taylor Made rescue. I'm still gaming a 4 rescue of that club and also have the 2 rescue as well which I'm thinking about putting back in the bag for a change.

Just noticed the link to the Taylor Made rescue. I'm still gaming a 4 rescue of that club and also have the 2 rescue as well which I'm thinking about putting back in the bag for a change.

it's been a great club but it's a regular steel shaft and showing some signs of it's age.....retired for now but will keep it around for the range etc.

Booked a fitting for the new Titleist Driver on 13th Nov. See what the hype is about.

Seems to be loved everywhere from the reviews.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom