Golf general advice and help thread.

Just played Hollins Hall near Shipley and think it is about the nicest course I've ever played!

We did the Sunday driver package which was about £90 with 1 in 12 free. 2 rounds, B&B with a 3 course evening meal.

Lovely location, lightening greens and not a boring hole on the course!

Well worth a trip if you can manage it

I played today and beat my best ever score by one shot, 81 :)

I shot 81 too, at Ormonde Fields last Friday:D

Handicap now 10.8:suicide:

Excellent well done :) I'd love to get my handicap down, sadly I'm on 20 at the moment :(

I never seem to be able to perform in competitions even though I got this score under competition conditions playing with my mate.

You shot 81 and you're playing off 20:eek::eek::eek::eek:

bandito.gif

:D

I think it's shocking! Should be ashamed of yourself!

I shot 78 and I'm off 19 [emoji3]

Although proportionately my 79 of 25 was better

I have been a member of my club for 36 years and in that time I think the best net score I have ever seen was 62. The majority of comps get won with something like a 67.
I think some of you are playing off the wrong handicap. [emoji1]

I'd love to get my handicap down - it's the only reason I play in competitions. I don't care about winning comps, I compete against my best score and with a desire to get my handicap lower.

I think that's why I always cock up in comps, I'm just trying too hard to get my handicap lower :(

I'd love to get my handicap down - it's the only reason I play in competitions. I don't care about winning comps, I compete against my best score and with a desire to get my handicap lower.

I think that's why I always cock up in comps, I'm just trying too hard to get my handicap lower :(
I'm the same. I would rather come second in a competition and lose a stroke off my handicap than win it with no reduction.
The way I look at it is that when you start speaking to another golfer they never ask 'how did you get on in the July medal?'
They ask 'what do you play off?'

My goal this year was to get my handicap down as low as I could, but I went up a shot instead.

Don't know why but my competition scores have been woeful, and my knock around scores aren't much better. I had one good week when I got the 78 and thought that I'd cracked it but now I'm back to playing to handicap - just about

Looking at the guys that I play with regularly (8 to 24 handicaps) I think realistically I should be about 14

My goal this year was to get my handicap down as low as I could, but I went up a shot instead.

Don't know why but my competition scores have been woeful, and my knock around scores aren't much better. I had one good week when I got the 78 and thought that I'd cracked it but now I'm back to playing to handicap - just about

Looking at the guys that I play with regularly (8 to 24 handicaps) I think realistically I should be about 14
This is very common in golf. My son is a great golfer and can regularly go under par for 18 holes when just having a knock. But he plays off 6 because he puts too much pressure on himself when he has got a card in his hand.
One mistake and his head goes.
Ball striking and distance he hits are far better than I have ever been but 9 out of 10 times in a comp I will beat him.

Don't get too nervous these days but them again i'm only playing with work colleagues.

If I joined a club again, i'm sure the nerves would return.

I remember playing in comps a decade ago and almost shaking on the tee at times:D

I don't believe that I get nervous, it's just that the rounds are so ssllooowww on competition days! We're looking at a minimum of 4 hours with at least 25% of that being stood around waiting. I much prefer to get on with it and generally mess up after a wait

I don't believe that I get nervous, it's just that the rounds are so ssllooowww on competition days! We're looking at a minimum of 4 hours with at least 25% of that being stood around waiting. I much prefer to get on with it and generally mess up after a wait
Yes I agree about slow rounds. All of a sudden golfers have to survey putts from every angle and have a pre-shot routine that lasts for over a minute.

I prefer quick play too. The more I think about my shots the worse I am

No one has mentioned competition tees, they make quite a difference on our course compared to casual tees. The big comps tend to go out in three balls, which helps with slow play. I've struggled to keep a score going this year, I've generally played well in the comps, but a few bad holes has meant playing above handicap most times unfortunately.

That said, club night over the summer is really slow because it's so popular. I don't mind that as it's a good crack after work on a summers evening and I'll more often than not play to handicap or a touch better.

The competition tees at our place only really affect 3 holes as far as my game is concerned. The comp tees are white and normal male tees yellow. Except the 3 holes the tees are roughly the same distance but just different angles to hit your tee shot.

Because I don't hit the ball very long, but do it it straight these 3 holes are awful for me so I refuse to play off the white tees.

One of the holes is a par 5 and has a large pond in the middle of the fairway and you need to be able to carry the ball longer than I (and a lot of others) can. Otherwise you have to lay up with an 8 iron - which to me is stupid on a par 5 hole and bad course design.

Another hole is the hardest on the course and it's horrible off the white tee. A lot longer drive into a very small area and out of bounds on the right and thick gorse on the left, so no run-off areas. The fairway also slopes a lot to the right so you can hit one straight down the middle, get a bad bounce and be out of bounds. It's a par 4 but there's regularly double figure scores on there with the record being someone playing off 15 getting a 27 on it 2 years ago (he was 17 off the tee!!!)

The third hole where there's a big difference the drive is up a very steep hill. From the yellows I can make the top of the hill but not from the whites. It's the side of an old pit tip so very steep and slopes 2 ways. The grass isn't mowed on it either so any shot you have to hit from there is a nightmare. Again it's a par 4 but has caused me so much heartache over the years!

At the end of October we switch back to the yellow tees for all comps so I will be joining in again. If I could gain another 20 yards so I carry the ball 190ish yards I would be able to play off the whites I believe.

We have 3 tees at my club. Normal yellows, competition whites (which are usually 10 to 20 yards behind the yellows, further on the odd hole) and we also have blue tees.
The blue tees are as close to the whites as possible so I always play off them. This way there isn't a big shock when playing competitions.

We are hoping that the landowners of our golf club will get rid of the owners who have let the club go to seed over the last couple of years and aren't interested in it at all. Then we can start to maintain the course ourselves with luck and make some of the holes more playable.

The gorse bushes have encroached massively onto the fairways over the last few years, making some of the holes far too difficult. One bad bounce or slight deviation and you've lost your ball - there's no first cut to stop the ball going into the gorse. Some fairways are extremely narrow now due to bad maintenance.

Our club currently has White Comp Tees, Yellow Mens Tees (some comps) and Red Ladies Tees. The difference between White and Yellow is generally around 20yrds, but on quite a few holes the White tees have the option to be on a separate Tee making a big difference to how you play the hole. These are mainly reserved for the Major comps.

They are going to introduce an additional purple Tee, this is going to sit in between yellow and red tees and will become the new Casual Tee as I understand things. Apparently its a system that will roll out everywhere and will affect handicaps. Anyone aware of this? As I understand it:

- You'll get a base handicap from one of the Tees, say Yellow.
- If you play a comp off White Tees anywhere supporting this system, your handicap may increase for that comp
- If you play a comp off the Purple Tees, your handicap may decrease for that comp

This is from word of mouth, our cards now show the Purple Tee, but they've not been placed on the course yet, so I suspect it will be for next season. Thing is, the Purple Tee is considerably shorter on a few holes than the Yellow, so I will not be keen to play off Purple for my knock about rounds. I want this to remain as challenging as possible while reserving Whites for the main Comps. Hopefully they will not restrict Tee access when we go to the new system. I suspect we'll possibly see:

White - Major comps
Yellow - Standard comps
Purple - Winter / Club night comps

Or similar. If anyone already has this 4 tier Tee / Handicap system in place, how does it play? Does it work?

Used to seeing White, Yellow and Red tees but 1 club I play (Morley Hayes) have switched to Gold, Silver and Bronze (possibly Blue too). What's that all about.:confused:

I guess it could be that there is no membership there and they fancied a change.

Playing Ruddington tomorrow. First time there. Pretty decent reviews by all accounts so looking forward to it.

Will be happy with 90 given it's the first time there (apparently pretty narrow and water in play) and all that. Get the handicap back above 11 too:D

A couple of courses near here (Rockcliffe and Cleveland) have black tees that are set about 40 yards behind the white ones for club championships and the like but we just have the red, yellow and white ones. Our white are between 5 to 50 yards behind the yellow and only really affect my game on the 11th. That's a sharp dogleg around trees and I struggle to hit it long enough off the whites to give me a shot at the green.

Last edited:
Had to happen sooner or later I guess.

Nightmare 92 (after 6 rounds in the 70/80's) yesterday at Ruddington. Quad bogie 9 at the par 5 2nd and a number of 6/7's:blush:

Course was ok. Nice greens. Even though some work (long cut lines through the greens) was going on. Didn't seem to affect putting though as the ball ran very nicely across the surface. Very slick and fast. Disappointing that , no matter how well you hit the ball to the green, it wouldn't grip/bite/spin.

Even sand wedges were travelling several feet from impact.

I know the greens were very firm but i've played on courses where the greens were lightning fast before, yet the ball still stopped:confused:

Fairway grass was too long. Maybe it's the time of year and they don't get the mowers out?

Will revisit but won't rush to do so.

Handicap gone from 14 to 11 in a matter of rounds yet only 0.1 back each time now.

Need 6 more crap rounds just to get back to 12 (well 11.5):facepalm:

3 Years to the day since the last one...:eek:

1395416_10151795961747530_1089546368_n.jpg

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom