Golf general advice and help thread.

in theory it's a better system - I like the idea that you get a few more shots on harder courses etc. But in reality, I still don't get how I've not played to my handicapp for the last 9 rounds and yet got cut another 0.1 on Sunday after a 33 point stableford!! (8.8 now!)
Essentially, for the 2 non scoring holes, they count your 'gross score for that hole' as a nett double bogey, and use those 2 scores to create an overall round gross score. If this overall score then becomes one of your 8 best scores....h'cap drop it is.

Essentially, for the 2 non scoring holes, they count your 'gross score for that hole' as a nett double bogey, and use those 2 scores to create an overall round gross score. If this overall score then becomes one of your 8 best scores....h'cap drop it is.

yeah - I know how it works but just seems mad.

Last 8 counting rounds I've not played under my handicapp (10 shots) - generally net 73/74/73/72/75 etc etc - Previously under the old method, that would have maybe scrapped into the "buffer" and handicapp would stay the same OR, I would have gone up 0.1

So whilst we all want to get our handicapp down, I feel like mine is coming down whilst not playing particularly well, which in turns makes it harder to play too....

I've got two rounds in my counting 8 at the moment that are 5.5 and 4.5 differential - the rest are 10/11's etc - that's why I'm lower than I think I should be...Just need to get rid of those :laugh: :laugh:

Brother lives next to valda and is currently volunteering for the tournament (they get a free round in exchange) course looks amazing, can't wait to play it.

Dan gavins also sorted him a little gift as he was their Marshall today.
received_1069416640528845.jpeg
IMG-20211016-WA0000.jpg
IMG-20211014-WA0007.jpg
IMG-20211014-WA0001.jpg
IMG-20211016-WA0005.jpg

skechers started to fall to bits so...
View attachment 1585319
Bought a pair of these a few weeks ago. Spent a couple of weeks breaking them as the bridge of the right foot was so tight and there was no way I could play with that pain. Stuck some golf balls and a cricket ball in them to stretch the leather. Now played two rounds in them and they are really good and seem solidly waterproof which is one of my bug bears with footjoy golf shoes. They are never waterproof 100%, in my experience anyway. Only strayed from my Ecco shoes because the footjoys were a complete bargain at £60 as someone returned them so open boxed. Will be getting a new pair of Ecco's when supplies get back to normal.

Club has started some improvement on the course now winter is upon us. Three tees being extended and a new one created. A bit of lengthening which I'm a bit bemused about as one of the tees creates a close to 200 yard par three over two large bunkers protecting the green about 20 yards short and two bunkers at the side. In a medal at 175 yards I'm hitting 6 or 5 iron so I'll be looking at a 2 rescue or five wood. I'm not sure this the right way to go to be honest but seems to be a trend.

Club has started some improvement on the course now winter is upon us. Three tees being extended and a new one created. A bit of lengthening which I'm a bit bemused about as one of the tees creates a close to 200 yard par three over two large bunkers protecting the green about 20 yards short and two bunkers at the side. In a medal at 175 yards I'm hitting 6 or 5 iron so I'll be looking at a 2 rescue or five wood. I'm not sure this the right way to go to be honest but seems to be a trend.

yeah - we have "winter" tees today as they are starting maintenance on the tee grounds etc - so mats on some par 3's already!

We have a par 3 that tends to play around 190/200 off the very back tees. Miss right - and it's down a hill which is about 30ft from the bottom to back to green level. Miss left, rough and a couple of bunkers.

The green also runs massively from front to back so very very difficult as I normally hitting 4/5 iron in to the green and almost impossible to hold it as it runs all away from you. It is about 30 yards long mind you!

I played in my first competition today and was delighted to come in with 38 points. I didn't score on 3 holes so could have been even better. Good signs though with 6 pars and 4 bogeys and for the 1st time I went around with the same ball (although I did fish it out of the water twice!)

Our 1st hole is 205 yards from the whites and 219 from the blues. Fairly flat hole with no major slopes or run offs but a couple of well placed bunkers to navigate. We got word today that the green is diseased and work is starting on 1st November to re-lay it so that'll be a temporary green for the foreseeable.

I played in my first competition today and was delighted to come in with 38 points. I didn't score on 3 holes so could have been even better.

Shark attack! :laugh: :laugh: - Slashed handicap for you then!

Yep, my index went from 24.1 to 19.1 :laugh:

I've been told to expect it to fluctuate under I get a good number of cards in.
Even then it will move about. Started at 11.7 this year down to 9.5, back up to 11.5 now for the winter. I play medals most weeks between April and end October so it reflects my play and is consistent with my 11 or 13 h'cap over the last few years.
One of my friends started at 22 this year down to 13.9 now. If you play well it rewards you but if your off your game it reflects it too when the good scores roll off.

Even then it will move about. Started at 11.7 this year down to 9.5, back up to 11.5 now for the winter. I play medals most weeks between April and end October so it reflects my play and is consistent with my 11 or 13 h'cap over the last few years.
One of my friends started at 22 this year down to 13.9 now. If you play well it rewards you but if your off your game it reflects it too when the good scores roll off.
Yeah, I don't think I'll be giving any more updates on my handicap until next summer when it settles.

The demand for tickets to The 150th Open at St Andrews was incredible with 1.3 million tickets applied for. We are delighted to inform you that your application in the Ticket Ballot was SUCCESSFUL.

Worst thing is I can't remember how many I applied for!! And it's a case I must buy all or none of the tickets.....

You can't pick and choose...Website is down currently so I can't check yet! I have a bad feeling I applied for loads of days!

Finally got in - Oppss - Thursday/Friday and Saturday - 2 adults & 2 kids both days - £570 please....

Last edited:
Oops, but at least the kids are free! I’m yet to hear if I’ve been successful.

Any word on your new Mizuno irons? I also ordered the JPX 921 forged, now over seven weeks ago, and am yet to be given any indication of when they‘ll be with me. At this rate I’ll be retired and need a completely different spec by the time they arrive.

Oops, but at least the kids are free! I’m yet to hear if I’ve been successful.

Any word on your new Mizuno irons? I also ordered the JPX 921 forged, now over seven weeks ago, and am yet to be given any indication of when they‘ll be with me. At this rate I’ll be retired and need a completely different spec by the time they arrive.

Nothing yet and I've not chased them up.

I might give them a ring today just to check the order went in ok as other than a receipt for "custom fit irons" - I've not actually seen anything else so far. It was 16/17 days ago I ordered them.

Picked up one of these for a try - KING Utility Iron

Just thinking about my gapping for new set.

Driver - 10.5 degrees
3 wood - 14.5 degrees
Hybrid - 19 degrees
New Cobra 4 Ultility Iron - 21-24 degrees(depending on some hits/tests)

5 iron in new set is 24 I think

What about the Mizuno HMB 4 iron, which is also a hollow body utility iron, and very popular on the Tours. Or the 921 HMP 4 iron. They’re both designed to match your irons as they have almost identical specs including offset, which is more of a big deal than many realise. Obviously you can have the same custom specs as your irons too.

What about the Mizuno HMB 4 iron, which is also a hollow body utility iron, and very popular on the Tours. Or the 921 HMP 4 iron. They’re both designed to match your irons as they have almost identical specs including offset, which is more of a big deal than many realise. Obviously you can have the same custom specs as your irons too.

yeah - Looked at that - They both look lovely.

I wanted to "play" with something that has some adjustability to hopefully gap out the bag at that end.

Been playing around in my head with a couple of options.

I was tempted with a 2nd hybrid (my existing 19 is fixed, no adjustments) or a longer iron.

Ideally probably something like:

3 wood 14.5 (this stays in - love it G425 max)
****** Something 17/18
****** Something 21
New 5 iron 24 degrees

That would probably be ideal setup^^^

However to achieve this I would probably need to sell 19 Cobra hybrid as no adjustability, and get another two clubs to fill the gap.

So trying :

3 wood 14.5 (this stays in - love it G425 max) - Can also adjust this up or down 1.5 degrees
Cobra hybrid 19 (existing)
Cobra Utility 21/22 degrees. (new)
New 5 iron 24 degrees

Trying the Cobra Utility iron (4) as it's 21-24 degree adjustable to see if I can gap it out better. If not, I can sell it on fairly easy (Paid £169, got 5% off first order and 5% cash back) - so effectively around £150. Selling 2nd hand good on ebay for around £120/30. So no great loss.

Just going to spend winter trying to set the bag up properly for next year.

Ah, I thought you meant you’d got a demo, didn’t realise that you’d actually bought it. Fair play!

I really want a hit at the Callaway Apex UW.

Ah, I thought you meant you’d got a demo, didn’t realise that you’d actually bought it. Fair play!

I really want a hit at the Callaway Apex UW.

Is that the half hybrid/half wood one? Pretty expensive on initial look - $299 (so guessing £300 here)

Phil loves it by all accounts!

Yeah, that‘s the one. A lot of the reviews have been really positive. It does have a decent stock shaft, Hzrdus RDX, which is part of the reason for the higher price, and it’s the shaft I fancy in my new woods. Plus, I have a birthday coming up 🙂

Yeah, that‘s the one. A lot of the reviews have been really positive. It does have a decent stock shaft, Hzrdus RDX, which is part of the reason for the higher price, and it’s the shaft I fancy in my new woods. Plus, I have a birthday coming up 🙂

Good timing

Looks good but doesn't seem to do anything different to a 5 wood or alike. Control possibly easier etc and potentially easier than a 5 wood out some semi etc.

Last edited:
New mizuno wedges seem to be getting a good write up.

SM9's due Feb/march as well.

Looks good but doesn't seem to do anything different to a 5 wood or alike. Control possibly easier etc and potentially easier than a 5 wood out some semi etc.
Yeah, it’s the control aspect which appeals. I prefer fairway woods to hybrids, but with the shorter shaft and different weight placement this might be a winner. I always hit hybrids left, even with copious amounts of lead tape.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom