Golf general advice and help thread.

raduv1

Distinguished Member
Had a great round this morning , score wise an 85 but hit some perfect ( for me ) irons , I mean really good for line and distance playing winter golf .

Will let you all into a lil secret training aid that I got a couple of months back and I've used ( even when my whrist stopped me from playing a full round of golf .

This is great for club swing path and correct contact with or without hitting a ball and so simple to use .

Not a sales pitch , I know it sounds like one .

shefflad1983

Strike and flight is getting there now 😎

Doghouse Riley

New 3 wood and some balls which should help in the winter 😂

I've found those luminous red and orange balls are easy enough to see when they are a few yards away, but harder to track when you hit them off the tee. So neither I nor my fellow club members use them. Many of us have one or two in our bag, but it's ones we've found!

Each to their own, but I find a 3 wood in the winter is OK off a tee, but not very good on the fairway.
If the ground is wet and a bit soft, then a 3 wood can dig in with a heavy contact, whereas in the summer you'll have a chance of it just scraping the fairway before contact with the ball, if you're a bit heavy handed.

Of my "14 rescue clubs" my favourite fairway wood is a 5. Much easier to get it up off the fairway or in the light rough at any time of the year and I can hit it as far as 3, as I'm more confident using it.

shefflad1983

I've found those luminous red and orange balls are easy enough to see when they are a few yards away, but harder to track when you hit them off the tee. So neither I nor my fellow club members use them. Many of us have one or two in our bag, but it's ones we've found!

Each to their own, but I find a 3 wood in the winter is OK off a tee, but not very good on the fairway.
If the ground is wet and a bit soft, then a 3 wood can dig in with a heavy contact, whereas in the summer you'll have a chance of it just scraping the fairway before contact with the ball, if you're a bit heavy handed.

Of my "14 rescue clubs" my favourite fairway wood is a 5. Much easier to get it up off the fairway or in the light rough at any time of the year and I can hit it as far as 3, as I'm more confident using it.
Wouldn't be without them on the darker / duller rounds.

As you say each to their own, while it's only really been bought as a fairway finder as I'd rarely need it off the deck, if you're a decent striker of the ball a wet fairway won't give you any really issues.

Still trying to nail my yardages / gapping with the new equipment but I'm now at roughly

5i - 220 yards
4i - 230 yards
Hybrid - 240 yards
3 wood - 240+ yards

Doghouse Riley

Wouldn't be without them on the darker / duller rounds.

As you say each to their own, while it's only really been bought as a fairway finder as I'd rarely need it off the deck, if you're a decent striker of the ball a wet fairway won't give you any really issues.

Still trying to nail my yardages / gapping with the new equipment but I'm now at roughly

5i - 220 yards
4i - 230 yards
Hybrid - 240 yards
3 wood - 240+ yards

Impressive, but as they say, "It ain't how far, it's how many."

raduv1

Distinguished Member
Well my whrist is improving and I'm back playing again , shooting scores close to under my hcp. Until last Wednesday as shot and eight over par 96 to my hcp in the midweek medal .I just could not find my swing that day and everything was way off. On to Friday ( same conditions ) and shot 85 , two under par. Course ain't holding up to well with all this rain and talking to the owner he is trying to employ more ground staff as work to be done on bunkers and tee boxes over the winter period.

raduv1

Distinguished Member
Our course is struggling under all this rain . We now have a traffic light system for course conditions for buggy , trollies ECT

Doghouse Riley

Ours is not too bad, all the greens are playable, but some of the fairways are quite damp.
It's a case of checking your e-mails first thing to find out if it's lift clean and place on the fairways, or anywhere on the course. They also tell you if buggies are allowed. Mind you, leccy trollies as most members have can cause quite a bit of damage. I'd put my Powakaddy winter wheels on my trolley if they weren't such a sod to clean when it's muddy. I've cut down the number of times a week I'm playing at the moment. Too much use is damaging thr course, but like most clubs we need the money.

raduv1

Distinguished Member
Ours is not too bad, all the greens are playable, but some of the fairways are quite damp.
It's a case of checking your e-mails first thing to find out if it's lift clean and place on the fairways, or anywhere on the course. They also tell you if buggies are allowed. Mind you, leccy trollies as most members have can cause quite a bit of damage. I'd put my Powakaddy winter wheels on my trolley if they weren't such a sod to clean when it's muddy. I've cut down the number of times a week I'm playing at the moment. Too much use is damaging thr course, but like most clubs we need the money.
We have a fair few vets that get medical exemption for biggie use . I'm looking for winter wheels for my clicgear 3.5+ but it seems they only do slip ons .the greens and tees are always open year round but this year's weather is causing bog like havoc in places .

Doghouse Riley

We have a fair few vets that get medical exemption for biggie use . I'm looking for winter wheels for my clicgear 3.5+ but it seems they only do slip ons .the greens and tees are always open year round but this year's weather is causing bog like havoc in places .
No exemption for vets, They aren't banned just buggies when it's bad, as they cause a lot of damage and there's a possibility of them turning over if they get side-on on a slope and start to slide downhill.

These are the Powakaddy winter wheels I've got.

You can see they'll be a nightmare to clean, although they grip pretty well going up any steep slopes on fairways. I had them for the first time last winter, as I'd just binned my twenty year-old Powakaddy trolley (it was like "Trigger's brush," only the chassis was original) and bought the latest one, so I thought I might as well get some as the pro shop was offering a reasonably good deal..

Accessories_Template__0000s_0001_Winter_Wheels-450x470_large.jpg

They won't clean with the airline, you really have to take them off put 'em in a bag and clean them with a hose when you get home. So far this year I've not bothered with them.

Last edited: