Golf general advice and help thread.

aandpwoodley

I am considering changing my irons next season. I like my Rogue X and short irons i get a fair distance with great dispersion . I'm thinking about swapping out my 5, 6 and seven irons for the Cobra one length F9 irons as should be easier to hit being seven iron length. Lofts on mine are so low that it does not inspire confidence. Not to sure on the gapping though .

A mixed set of irons , good idea ?
If your thinking of changing clubs I would consider clubs with more traditional lofts.

Look at sets starting around 34° for the 7 iron, you get much better spins numbers and therefore better distance control.

Power bats have a place in golf don’t get me wrong, however don’t get seduced by Launch monitor numbers, try them on the course as well when being fit.

I went from Titleist AP1’s to the CB’s and love them, I control the distance much better & stopped caring about the number on the bottom of the club.

raduv1

Distinguished Member
YouTube is a great recourse for ones game is it not. Found a great cheap practice for my game a couple of weeks ago .

As someone who's backswing gets to long with the game bustimg cheats of bent left arm or cupped right whrist to complete the backswing .

All one needs is a 3ft bit of bamboo .

It's so simple in the best exaggerated way on the golf swing .

Place the cane under your left armpit so it produces out from it. Take your stance and backswing as your right arm will hit the cane under your left armpit reducing your backswing . Use a mirror work to see and get the feel .

raduv1

Distinguished Member
:clap::clap: one waits years to get an eagle but on Monday I got a second in a month on the same hole at our course.

The first ( put up on here ) was three perfect shots , big drive , perfect A wedge and two foot putt.

On the same hole this was far from perfect but same result .

Cut my drive right into the trees , had an out shot so took my 4H. Struck it well but caught the second tree branches and landed about 70 yards short . It just kept rolling on though and up through the gap in the bunkers to finish 10 ft off the green and another 30ft from the pin .

My chip was skinny and was going at least 15ft past but hit the pin and dropped in .

I got my come uppence as I damaged my right whrist later on in the round and now wearing a splint :laugh:.

raduv1

Distinguished Member
Back from my hols and whrist is OK . My mate has entered us into the Pairs better ball Cup on Sunday so will do my best .

I came in second, level par in the midweek medal last Wednesday so playing pretty well to handicap :smashin:.

@shefflad1983 those FJ Fury shoes are very nice . May treat myself to a pair of the blue ones later in the year.

shefflad1983

Back from my hols and whrist is OK . My mate has entered us into the Pairs better ball Cup on Sunday so will do my best .

I came in second, level par in the midweek medal last Wednesday so playing pretty well to handicap :smashin:.

@shefflad1983 those FJ Fury shoes are very nice . May treat myself to a pair of the blue ones later in the year.
Do it, perhaps the first decent pair I've ever bought and so far they are great, so comfy yet so grippy

raduv1

Distinguished Member
Do it, perhaps the first decent pair I've ever bought and so far they are great, so comfy yet so grippy
I have five pairs of golf shoes already mate , including three FJ, Sketchers and Nike . Whilst another would be lovely , the absence of my nethers in doing so gives me pause to do so :eek: .

raduv1

Distinguished Member
How you getting on with the M6 @shefflad1983 ? I had the M2 but found it way to light for my taste to the point I could not feel the clubhead position in my swing .

I moved on to the ping G400 with the counter balence shaft and it clicked for me with more weight in the grip .

Grip it n rip it mate .

shefflad1983

How you getting on with the M6 @shefflad1983 ? I had the M2 but found it way to light for my taste to the point I could not feel the clubhead position in my swing .

I moved on to the ping G400 with the counter balence shaft and it clicked for me with more weight in the grip .

Grip it n rip it mate .
It only arrived yesterday... Will be trying it tomorrow for the first time.

I've never really used drivers, but after playing out in Spain I tried my mates m2 and for 3 rounds I hit it straight and long so decided to give them a go.

After much reading and watching reviews I went to buy the f9 cobra but after trying various ones out on trackman the m6 gave the best numbers / performance

raduv1

Distinguished Member
I birdied all three par 5s on our course this morning :clap:, first time I've ever done that on any course . Managed to hit the green in two shots on the first two par 5s and a one putt on the third .

raduv1

Distinguished Member
Had a trip down to my club this morning to have a go with the Taylormade big foot high toe 60 degree wedge ,yup bit of a mouthfall .

Has a really wide sole ( hence the name ) and 15 degrees of bounce .

So 3/4 of and hour around the practice area on bunker, pitches and lobs and I was sold . This is a cheat stick for the short game and now in my bag.

20190921_135248.jpg
20190921_135301.jpg

Love the finish and ease of use as it works best layed square to the ball in normal stance and just adjusting ball position for flight of shot.

shefflad1983

Grip it n rip it mate .
So after a round and 200 balls on the range a bit of feedback so far

Feel - it's not bad but I've certainly had better feeling clubs over the years

Sound - very good, it's a nice deep thud rather than a high pitched tinny sound

Forgiveness - this is its party trick imo, even the bad shots are finding the fairway, I've had some on the extreme toe and heel and they are still pretty straight and long

Performance - ties into the above, but this thing just goes, compared to the r7 I had before I'm much straighter and longer, will get more data once the shotscope v2 arrives this week

Conclusion is that its a huge upgrade on what I had before and I'm sure it should save me a shot or so over the round

raduv1

Distinguished Member
So after a round and 200 balls on the range a bit of feedback so far

Feel - it's not bad but I've certainly had better feeling clubs over the years

Sound - very good, it's a nice deep thud rather than a high pitched tinny sound

Forgiveness - this is its party trick imo, even the bad shots are finding the fairway, I've had some on the extreme toe and heel and they are still pretty straight and long

Performance - ties into the above, but this thing just goes, compared to the r7 I had before I'm much straighter and longer, will get more data once the shotscope v2 arrives this week

Conclusion is that its a huge upgrade on what I had before and I'm sure it should save me a shot or so over the round
Confidence is the key with golf so if you feel confident with club in hand then your more likely to hit the fairway. Sounds like a keeper for you :thumbsup:.

I had a round last week and really should not of done as I've hurt my back and whrist . Was hitting everything straight left with a big pull hook .

raduv1

Distinguished Member
Winter is coming and on Amazon you can get a pack of the Wilson DX2 optics 12 ball pack in matte yellow for £14.44 with free prime shipping .

Wilson Staff DX2 Optix Golf Balls, Yellow, Pack of 12 https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0787GM32W/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_p8EJDbG1XP35J

Got myself a couple of packs at that price as great soft compression ball for us with slower swing speed.

shefflad1983

Currently playing in Spain, using borrowed clubs but playing solid enough

Attachments

raduv1

Distinguished Member
Pissed right off golfer here as a bad back and even worse left wrist means I will not be playing for the foreseeable future . Or even never .

richp007

Distinguished Member
Pissed right off golfer here as a bad back and even worse left wrist means I will not be playing for the foreseeable future . Or even never .
Don't think like that mate. Winter's coming anyway, just focus on beyond and next Spring. Hopefully you'll be back in shape.

I'm not a Winter golfer, can't stand having to contend with a soaking wet course or/and the wind. I never improve my scores, and just end up getting annoyed with the whole game.

Plus it goes dark too early to get an evening round in, and time at the weekends is limited enough.

Doghouse Riley

I have a Powakaddy electric trolley and bag.

I recently purchased the trolley seat.
This wasn't a concession to advancing age, more due to occasional slow play by groups ahead of my partner and I.
Turning the trolley sideways, sitting down and facing towards a slow group ahead and giving them a Paddington Bear "hard stare," I think is permissable.
I though bringing a deck chair instead of the seat, would be too provocative.

I've read some reports of different clubs and their performance, but for all that, it's still "Not how far, but how many."

Far better to accept that there will always some greens for many of us that we can't reach in regulation. That's where good chipping and putting can match any of the long hitters. So that's what we should concentrate on practicing.

For those struggling with their game, I read years ago in a golfing journal that it was said that 95% of those who actually play golf, can't break a hundred.

Last edited:

raduv1

Distinguished Member
Don't think like that mate. Winter's coming anyway, just focus on beyond and next Spring. Hopefully you'll be back in shape.

I'm not a Winter golfer, can't stand having to contend with a soaking wet course or/and the wind. I never improve my scores, and just end up getting annoyed with the whole game.

Plus it goes dark too early to get an evening round in, and time at the weekends is limited enough.
I'm a little down to be honest mate as all my playing partners were out today on the course . My back has improved some but wrist is carpal tunnel syndrome and I'm trying to get cortisone injections for it.

I love playing all year round , weather permitting because it makes myself a better golfer on club selection and greens, plus it keeps me active .

Cheers for posting .

richp007

Distinguished Member
I'm a little down to be honest mate as all my playing partners were out today on the course . My back has improved some but wrist is carpal tunnel syndrome and I'm trying to get cortisone injections for it.

I love playing all year round , weather permitting because it makes myself a better golfer on club selection and greens, plus it keeps me active .

Cheers for posting .
No probs.

My mum had carpal tunnel so I know exactly what you're going through. I nursed her for a long while after she had an operation to sort it. Are you scheduled for an op?

What's the back issue? Gotta be so careful with a back problem. A mate of mine can never play again after he landed on a mat the wrong way whilst doing ju-jitsu.

I will play in the winter if the opportunity arises and the weather isn't resembling a tornado! But I normally pretty much all but shut down till about February time. And as I say, the less I play the worse I am. Just gets me frustrated in the end. I can quickly solve that when the weather picks up and I can play more.

raduv1

Distinguished Member
No probs.

My mum had carpal tunnel so I know exactly what you're going through. I nursed her for a long while after she had an operation to sort it. Are you scheduled for an op?

What's the back issue? Gotta be so careful with a back problem. A mate of mine can never play again after he landed on a mat the wrong way whilst doing ju-jitsu.

I will play in the winter if the opportunity arises and the weather isn't resembling a tornado! But I normally pretty much all but shut down till about February time. And as I say, the less I play the worse I am. Just gets me frustrated in the end. I can quickly solve that when the weather picks up and I can play more.
Nope no op, want injections first to try and get on top of it as everything I've tried ( lots n lots ) has failed to resolve it.

Back is a work related injury to my sciatic nerve 20 years back that resulted in 6 months off work in traction and physio. I have good and bad days but the last month it has been a bugger and then some .

It has improved over the last week though as I do not have to get the wife to put my socks and shoes on in the mornings now :laugh:.

shefflad1983

San roque today, stunning place

3 rounds this week, 87,83,83 on some rough courses with some borrowed equipment, really happy with how it's gone

Attachments

sneakyweeone

Nope no op, want injections first to try and get on top of it as everything I've tried ( lots n lots ) has failed to resolve it.

Back is a work related injury to my sciatic nerve 20 years back that resulted in 6 months off work in traction and physio. I have good and bad days but the last month it has been a bugger and then some .

It has improved over the last week though as I do not have to get the wife to put my socks and shoes on in the mornings now :laugh:.
Sorry to hear this, I hope you can get back out soon or at least at the start of the season.

sneakyweeone

San roque today, stunning place

3 rounds this week, 87,83,83 on some rough courses with some borrowed equipment, really happy with how it's gone
Just back from La Cala-never scored as well as you even with my own clubs! There is nothing like playing golf in the sun when you know you'd be in full waterproofs at home.

shefflad1983

Just back from La Cala-never scored as well as you even with my own clubs! There is nothing like playing golf in the sun when you know you'd be in full waterproofs at home.
You can't beat the sun and warm temps, the long slog through the British winter might be a bit much

shefflad1983

Just bit the bullet and bought a set of p790s pick them up tomorrow

raduv1

Distinguished Member
Had a round this morning after a month off . Back now fine but whrist is still giving me problems . Thick fog for sixteen holes and very wet underfoot . I shot 86 , two under par for my hcp :smashin: . Drove the ( what I could see ) ball great and long considering conditions and putted really well , had seven one putts greens from 8 to about 20ft.

Our new clubhouse is now completed and my first time seeing it .
20191024_121711.jpg
20191024_121657.jpg
20191024_121712.jpg
20191024_121704.jpg
20191024_121727.jpg

Decked out for Halloween and we have a live fish tank built in .

raduv1

Distinguished Member
On the new clubhouse front, our members and partners are invited to attend a lil do with free drinks and nibbles on the 7th.

Should be a good lil do .

shefflad1983

First time out with the new clubs and shotscope at the weekend, really impressed with the data it collects and just how it easy it is to use, be interesting to see the profile after a few rounds, few examples below

Attachments