Golf general advice and help thread.

HMHB

Distinguished Member
I am starting back playing golf after a 12-15 year absence and am looking for a new driver. My mate has lent me his spare cheapo Dunlop driver and whilst I'm not doing bad, I noticed that when I used his proper driver I could hit it further even if I hadn't connected properly.

At the moment I'm only on the driving range but I'm hitting it mostly straight but only a maximum of 200 yards.

What should I be looking for in a driver? I don't want to spend more than about £50 to be honest so not sure if I would get anything better than the one I'm currently using.

Last edited:

booyaka

have a look 2nd hand in local pro shop etc. No point in spending £50 on a new driver as it's likely to be pretty poor.

2nd hand will get you a better driver for sure.

Might pick up something like a Ping G10 driver or Taylor Made R7/R9 etc - try and have a hit with it as well before purchasing.

Toasty

Distinguished Member
If your local pro has an analyse facility, use that to hit a few balls. The pro can tell you what shaft and loft will be best suited to your swing, this helped turn a huge amount of backspin into a better flight path drive for me when I upgraded my driver. Turned out my old driver was wrong shaft for my swing.

HMHB

Distinguished Member
I think I might have to do that. My mate's driver certainly felt more comfortable for some reason.

Graham27

I'd agree with getting a fitting, but if you don't buy from whoever does the fitting they're liable to charge for it, which will eat into your budget.

I'd go for something second hand from a big brand, with a frying pan sized head, a regular shaft, and plenty of loft.

If you buy on ebay you won't lose too much if you don't like it. Happy hunting!

HMHB

Distinguished Member
The "fear" I have about getting a fitting is that they'll criticise my swing (I know it's bad but it's the best I can do!!) and I'll screw up under the pressure of being watched :laugh:

Toasty

Distinguished Member
The pro should be pretty good and will actually give you a hint or two during the session if you're doing anything particularly detrimental, however as Graham mentions, they are after a sale at the end of the day. The way it works at our club is you pay for a fitting, but its returned as a voucher, so if you buy anything, the session is free.

Graham27

The "fear" I have about getting a fitting is that they'll criticise my swing (I know it's bad but it's the best I can do!!) and I'll screw up under the pressure of being watched :laugh:
It's unlikely that they'll criticise you, but it is highly likely that you'll feel a bit self-concious. You shouldn't worry though, they'll have seen far worse than a bit of a rusty swing :)

I worked in golf shops for years, and I've seen a few funny sights. I've left people to try a club on their own and they've hit in completely the wrong direction ("Um, excuse me, do you see that big net behind you?"), heads have flown off clubs, and you'd be amazed at how common it is for a little botty burp to squeak out when someone is teeing up a ball :D

aphex232

Novice Member

Dazo

Novice Member
JohnG said:
I am in the exact same boat as you regarding back playing after about 18 years of not hitting a ball. My local range has an American golf shop attached and have been on the range every other day trying out their 2nd hand clubs. Having tried various makes I decided I was going with Taylormade. Luckily for me Taylormade were doing custom fittings at the range last week and I booked a slot with the same fears as you have. Now I have a pretty horrendous slice but I just made it clear from the start i was a beginner and the guy was great. Giving loads of advice, tuned the clubs perfectly and by the end of the fitting I was hitting great shots.

It is not a golf lesson but the clubs these days really can be tuned to suit your swing.

HMHB

Distinguished Member
I am in the exact same boat as you regarding back playing after about 18 years of not hitting a ball. My local range has an American golf shop attached and have been on the range every other day trying out their 2nd hand clubs. Having tried various makes I decided I was going with Taylormade. Luckily for me Taylormade were doing custom fittings at the range last week and I booked a slot with the same fears as you have. Now I have a pretty horrendous slice but I just made it clear from the start i was a beginner and the guy was great. Giving loads of advice, tuned the clubs perfectly and by the end of the fitting I was hitting great shots.

It is not a golf lesson but the clubs these days really can be tuned to suit your swing.
Cheers for that mate, it's given me more confidence to actually go and do it :)

signs

Banned
John I don't think you are that far from me ? My brother in law is the head Pro at Branston golf club , I could have a word with him if you if ou like .

HMHB

Distinguished Member
I'm in Mansfield mate so not far from you at all.

Dazo

Novice Member
JohnG said:
Cheers for that mate, it's given me more confidence to actually go and do it :)
You should definitely do it mate. I am pretty thick skinned so was happy to make a fool of myself but it really isn't like that.

Graham27

Anyway, if you're hitting it about 200 yds and straight-ish, that's nowt to be embarrassed about! Don't believe what people say on the net, that's about average.

Club heads are pretty close to the limits of both technology and the regulations, if you buy something recent you can't really buy a bad one. You can buy the wrong specification though, but you just need plenty of loft and the right shaft.

Despite being an equipment geek, I'd happily use pretty much anything from the last 5 years or so, and I often go back to a 10 year-old driver.

DJT75

Distinguished Member
Got a used Taylor Made R5 10.5 degrees available if you ever want to buy a driver

johny1980

I just recently got into golf and opted for a cobra s3 driver which is great for distance but has introduced slice

The trick is to relax and not to kill it and it will actually go a good distance

Got a set of barely touched Taylormade burner pro irons for 100 on gumtree to

HMHB

Distinguished Member
I still haven't done anything about this! I've changed my mind now having used my mate's 3 wood a few times, a 3 wood is going to be my best choice rather than a driver I think. I could hit it just as far with the 3 wood as I could the driver :)

HMHB

Distinguished Member
So if anyone has any tips on good 3 woods then I'd be interested in hearing them.

TheCSSDoctor

I don't carry a driver either, but use a Taylormade RBZ 3 and 5 wood as I find them to be more consistent and I find I can hit the 3 wood just as far as some people hit their driver - just ask Toasty or BB3Lions ;)

I am fortunate to have a Direct Golf store quite close so was able to try a number of clubs before deciding on those ones. Next up will hopefully be a set of irons to replace my old Ping i3 set

HMHB

Distinguished Member
I actually went to the range tonight at a "roll-up instruction" type thing. Basically you pay an extra quid for your large basket of balls and the professional is on hand to give instructions to all of the people there.

He changed my stance completely. I was far too upright, too close to the ball and my hands were far too high. At first I thought he was kidding me as it felt like I was stood like a chimpanzee! But I gradually started to feel better like that and was then consistently hitting the 7 iron nice and straight with a proper trajectory.

I think what I'll do is to get some one on one lessons from him and then ask him about what 3 wood to buy. He said I can try a few from the shop as well.

Graham27

That's, by far, the best way to do it. If you chuck a few quid your Pros way, he'll probably look after you. If he's a decent sort, anyway :)

I know tons of people on golf forums who are happy to keep throwing money at gear without spending anything on their technique. If you've got a dodgy swing there's not a club in the land which will help.

Once you get your fundamentals sorted, it all falls into place a lot quicker. I've played for about 25 years, but I haven't played for a while recently, so I'm going for a few lessons for a brush-up. Looking forward to it :)

Toasty

Distinguished Member
TheCSSDoctor said:
I don't carry a driver either, but use a Taylormade RBZ 3 and 5 wood as I find them to be more consistent and I find I can hit the 3 wood just as far as some people hit their driver - just ask Toasty or BB3Lions ;)
You need the driver to do some serious damage off the tee :devil:

Graham27

Damage? Sometimes literally! I had a Titleist driver with a fairly rare shaft a few years ago. I couldn't hit it for toffee but I wouldn't get rid of it because people went "ooooh" a lot when they saw it :) I had to get rid of it when I hit one a good 100 yards off-line which took out one of our Juniors.

That RBZ 3 wood will go as far as most drivers which are more than a couple of years old anyway!

HMHB

Distinguished Member
Jesus, my legs, hips and back are aching this morning after changing my stance last night! Got to keep at it now :)

HMHB

Distinguished Member
I've booked a course of 6 lessons and have my first one on Thursday night. Got to try and enjoy it rather than turning up nervous :D

HMHB

Distinguished Member
Had my first 30 minute lesson tonight and enjoyed it :) It's amazing watching your swing on an iPad and seeing just how bad it is, I'm surprised I ever hit the ball properly at all :D

In 30 minutes he's got me standing better and swinging a hell of a lot better and that is all with my existing rubbish grip. He's managed to work around that for the time being and I'm hitting the ball a lot sweeter already.

Roll on my next lesson next week, he's now working on getting my transferring my weight forwards properly on the follow through because I wasn't doing that at all, all my weight was still on my back foot and the end of the swing :blush:

Graham27

Good stuff, glad to hear it's helping!

It's amazing how few folk take lessons, it's amazing how quickly a decent Pro can sort things out. Most folk don't realise how much they need it, seeing the video for the first time can be a bit horrific, as you've found out :)

I thought I had a decent swing, then a mate bought a video camera. Oof :eek:

TheCSSDoctor

Good to hear you enjoyed it, it is amazing how sometimes the simplest little change can make a huge difference

Good stuff, glad to hear it's helping!

It's amazing how few folk take lessons, it's amazing how quickly a decent Pro can sort things out. Most folk don't realise how much they need it, seeing the video for the first time can be a bit horrific, as you've found out :)

I thought I had a decent swing, then a mate bought a video camera. Oof :eek:

Never seen a video of my swing, but am tempted to give this Direct Golf MOT thing a try as got a store pretty close to me