• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Golf ..did you get your handicap down this Year ?

markonline1

Established Member
Official handicap stayed at 13. My Society handicap went down from 12 to 9. I am currently in the middle of an attack of the shanks though, so methinks it might be rising again soon :(

thfccambs

Banned
My handicap is still 28, some may say bandit i call it not getting enought time to play more often. ;)

Abbeygoo

Distinguished Member
I've had the worst few years of my golfing life. Was regularly playing at 18 but the arrival of kids has seen my play twice in the last three years ....... :(

Just been away to Spain and literally forgot how to play, was very embarrassing - in the Stableford competition we ran, I scored 6 points off a 22 handicap ....

signs

Banned
I've had the worst few years of my golfing life. Was regularly playing at 18 but the arrival of kids has seen my play twice in the last three years ....... :(

Just been away to Spain and literally forgot how to play, was very embarrassing - in the Stableford competition we ran, I scored 6 points off a 22 handicap ....

6 points :rotfl: good man :thumbsup:

C225

Distinguished Member
I nearly got my handicap yesterday but the damn flu stopped me playing in the medal competition and there wont be another one until next year now:mad:

huwg

Established Member
I've only played 6 rounds of golf this year :eek: with scores ranging from 84 :smashin: to 95 (@ Forest of Arden).:rolleyes:
I've not had an official handicap since '93, but I reckon I'm somewhere between 16 and 18.

Since my last game, I've had 4 lessons (with lots of additional practice on the range) so this year has not been a complete loss. My re-modeled swing now feels more solid. I just need to try it out on the course. :)

So to answer the question..... 'hopefully'.

Greg Hook

Moderator & Reviewer
Just joined Market Harborough Golf Club. (any AVFers members there?)

Put my three cards in and handicap is definitely 28! Last round was not bad as we scored both normal and stableford and on the back 9 I got 17 points and scored on every hole, so that was good. Back 9 in 50, which for me was superb, now if I can do that on the front nine and then gain a couple more I will be on my handicap at last!

Won't be worried about being called a bandit quite yet, a few more months of hard playing and I should hopefully be playing to my handicap. Bloody hard work though, I have extreme 1st hole jitters than messes me up big time.

Any tips from hardened golfers on how to get over this would be welcome!

Dony

Distinguished Member
I'm no expert, but I find hitting a good few balls into a practice net helps me on the 1st. Certainly helps me loosen up rather than just stretching before teeing off.

Edit: You should try hitting the first tee shot on an avforums golf day to know what real jitters are :D Forget hitting the first ball of a Ryder Cup, that's easy compared to having Woody, Abbey, Signs, and the rest just waiting for you to fail.

Last edited:

Abbeygoo

Distinguished Member
Edit: You should try hitting the first tee shot on an avforums golf day to know what real jitters are :D Forget hitting the first ball of a Ryder Cup, that's easy compared to having Woody, Abbey, Signs, and the rest just waiting for you to fail.

Waiting for you to fail? Nah mate, we're just ready to start laughing .... :thumbsup:

rags

Prominent Member
No, was at 11 but probably playing like a 14 or worse this year. Had a pretty rough time at Moor Park the last two times I played there. The walk is knackering at that golf course when you are having a crap round...

booyaka

To buck the trend of the thread so far.

Yes i did get my handicap down this year.

12.8 at the start and finished at 10.5:thumbsup:

Fairly pleased with that as I've had zero time to practise this year due to being very busy at home and work.

Played really well towards the end of the season and kind of wished it had continued more!! Despite coming down to 10.5 I have had 4 rounds this year where i have been only 1 over par standing on the 11th tee and then had a shocker over the next 3 holes or so!! Last medal round of the year i was 1 over standing on the 11th tee and then went Triple bogie, Bogie, Quad Bogie!!!:thumbsdow:thumbsdow

Biggest difference for me this year has been hitting the ball much straighter off the tee. Got a couple of lessons at the start of the year and that has definitely worked well for me.

thelegendofyrag

Established Member
Just started playing this year and been on a couple of work days and around 5 or 6 rounds with a mate. Have noticed a big improvement from the first couple of times i played so depending on funds next year i'd like to join a club but for now just enjoying getting to grips with it. A couple of lessons could be in order also!

Darkstar_surfer

Prominent Member
To buck the trend of the thread so far.

Yes i did get my handicap down this year.

12.8 at the start and finished at 10.5:thumbsup:

Fairly pleased with that as I've had zero time to practise this year due to being very busy at home and work.

Played really well towards the end of the season and kind of wished it had continued more!! Despite coming down to 10.5 I have had 4 rounds this year where i have been only 1 over par standing on the 11th tee and then had a shocker over the next 3 holes or so!! Last medal round of the year i was 1 over standing on the 11th tee and then went Triple bogie, Bogie, Quad Bogie!!!:thumbsdow:thumbsdow

Biggest difference for me this year has been hitting the ball much straighter off the tee. Got a couple of lessons at the start of the year and that has definitely worked well for me.

You don't play at Lenzie do you as that is exactly the sort of rounds I had there. Make it to the turn in 1 or 2 over par and then birdy the par 5 10th, I don't really remember any more after that just that I could not get my handicap below 11. Or maybe there just suppressed memories.:rolleyes:

Playing at Farthingstone now and I have crept back to 14 and the only thing keeping me down is my lack of medal play.

Although new driver bought and new season to look forward to. :D

booyaka

nope - played Lenzie once and it was a cracking course (bloody hilly in places) but the greens were superb (up there with the best i've ever played on) Nice course!

dr_mabuse

Established Member
I was at 8 at the start of the year and have plummeted to 10 now :( Recently I've played a bit better but still nowhere near the 7.2 I was down to in 2007.
Bloody game drives u nuts doesn't it?

dr_m

Greg Hook

Moderator & Reviewer
At least when you are 28, the only way is up. (hopefully) :rotfl:

deantown

Distinguished Member
my handicap was 20 got it down to 16.5, played 2 weeks ago and was 15 over par but not in a competition. played in competition last week handicap now 16.7 (ok i know i play off 17) but 16.5 sounded good to me. :thumbsup:

simon_joe86

Standard Member
Started playing golf during easter this year, first round i hit 120! I was pretty happy with that! I don't have a handicap as i play various courses and travel alot so can't play at a set place. I think i am about 26 handicap now, as i usually hit around 97/98 some days down to about 94/95 some days over a 100!

I was not working over the summer so got to play 3 times a week. You would think i was living the dream, unfortunately with playing alot comes more frustration! Any other new golfers this year? Would be interesting to hear some stories of success...?

DJT75

Distinguished Member
Never had an official handicap but been playing off 24/25 stableford for god knows how long. Have only managed to play about 6 times in the last 18 months, off to Spain tonight for a 3 round stag do in Almeria. They're letting me play off 28, but only because they're handicaps are 1 or 2 points higher than they should be

simon_joe86

Standard Member
Never had an official handicap but been playing off 24/25 stableford for god knows how long. Have only managed to play about 6 times in the last 18 months, off to Spain tonight for a 3 round stag do in Almeria. They're letting me play off 28, but only because they're handicaps are 1 or 2 points higher than they should be

Living the dream! 3 rounds in the sun with plenty of alcohol! brilliant!

DJT75

Distinguished Member
Living the dream! 3 rounds in the sun with plenty of alcohol! brilliant!

Being picked up at 2am, car down to Gatwick (about an hour) before early beers for breakfast, flight, check-in & teeing off around noon. All on a Friday when you want to be at your best for the evening's great-booze-up. I think I may just survive but it's by no means easy! :)

Ultima

Distinguished Member
Started the year at 8.3 I think and after many up's and down's now stand at 8.2.

Play once or twice a week...no practice, always in competitions so I think my handicap fairly accurate.

Last 4 Rounds

Gross 79
Gross 78
Gross 84
Gross 80

on par 72 Championship Course.

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom