Golf 2.8 V6 4motion

Sweetman

I'm in the market for a new car in the near future and I can't seem to deviate from looking at the Golf 2.8 V6.

Anyone had/have any experience of these?

I want something quick with a decent sound to it. I'm not expecting the MPG to be very good at all but if I was worried about that, if stick to the wife's 107. I've looked at the Cupra R but I don't really like the look and the interior looks a bit plasticky. Budget is about £2k max as I'm selling my BMW to fund much needed home improvements. Must have 5 doors.

Thanks for any help.

AMc

Distinguished Member
Friend of mine had one of these - he loved it but it was very thirsty. At your price point you'll need to go over it with a fine tooth comb to be sure you're not about to end up with a big repair bill, but I'm guessing you know that!

WhyAyeMan

£1,000 will get you a BMW 328, I've had two. Much better than a V6 Golf (R32 excepted), proper RWD handling and you still get a nice noise.

lungwun

£1,000 will get you a BMW 328, I've had two. Much better than a V6 Golf (R32 excepted), proper RWD handling and you still get a nice noise.
E36 or E46?

Sweetman

Thanks for the advice. Had a look at a few and I'm fairly taken by them. Was looking to move away from RWD as the last batch of snow we had really did me in but I wouldn't mind staying with BMW over VW.

WhyAyeMan

That'll be E36 at that price. No doubt about it.
Sorry for the late reply, mine is an E46.

A good E36 328 will be worth MORE than an older E46 328 as it is regarded as a classic but the E46 is not really.

Having said that, and many may disagree, I think the E46 is a better handling car than the E36, and there's not much in it in a straight line, the E36 is better at lower speeds, the E46 will go a good few mph more at the top end.

I've had both and you wont be disappointed with either.

lungwun

I still own an E46, I should have updated it a while ago but I really love the way it handles and the feedback through the steering wheel.

I haven't heard good things about the E90 electric steering so I'm hesitant about upgrading.
The E36 hasn't really aged well and is hard to find one in slightly decent condition under £1000.

I plan to always own an E46, and park it right beside my W123 Mercedes.

Maybe one day when I'm older these cars will be regarded as classics.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Hi-Fi products of 2020, Plus Best of the Month for TV Shows & Movies
Top Bottom