Golf 2.0 SDI vs Focus 1.6 opinions..

dmx005

I had my sights on a Ford Focus but having just spotted a Golf 2.0 Sdi wondered what peoples opinions on the 2 cars were.. So the options are:

Focus Zetec 1.6 5dr (2006) - 18,000 Miles. £7.5k
Golf 2.0 SDI S 5dr (2005) - 25,000 miles. £8k

:(

AnilS

Not a straightforward comparison, but we had a Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec (1999 36K miles) and now have a Golf GTi 1.8T (2002 now with 51K miles).

The Golf is a refined car, but if you like driving, you'll like the Ford more.

If you are doing more motorway miles, the Golf is the better car.

Me, I'd take the Focus everytime. :smashin:

nheather

Distinguished Member
Not 100% relevant (because I'm talking diesels) but it is a good comparision between a similar focus and golf.

I am about to choose my new car and I've decided to cut my fuel bills and most of all my company car tax bill. So I've been looking at the cars which have a CO2 rating of less than 121 because a very low tax band has been introduced for them.

I narrowed my list to

Golf TDi 1.9 Bluemotion
Focus TDCi 1.6 DPF

On paper the performance is the same - acceleration, top speed, mpg
I went into the test with the Golf as firm favourite

I should say that previously my cars have been 140PS or higher so I was concerned whether I could live with the drop in performance.

I tried the Golf first and was bitterly disappointed. It felt so dead. No acceleration. Had to work the gears a lot on even the slightest incline.

The Focus was next and I was expecting the same but boy was I surprised.

It's a nice car to drive - it feels much more powerful thn the Golf, the gearing feels better and it handles much nicer - a clear winner.

The only slight downside with the Ford (any Ford) is that I'm not a fan of their chavvy blinged up dashboards - why must they insist on puuting fake chrome accents on everything.

So I'm ordering a Focus. Sorted out the colour and the model.

Now I've just got to decide on the 5 door hatch or the estate.

Cheers,

Nigel

Drd

I went into the test with the Golf as firm favourite
Continuing off topic,it is quite amazing how many people buy cars without ever test driving them.

hillbilly1

Novice Member
& going even more off-topic (sorry!) I went to test drive a 1.8 focus last sunday at my local ford stealers - Bristol ST, Stoke - because I said I would be shopping around, but I am not a time-waster, i will be buying...they refused me a test drive!
I have been to a car supermarket & my local vauxhall stealers with no problems at all, they said I could test drive as many as I wanted! will not be going back...

dmx005

& going even more off-topic (sorry!) I went to test drive a 1.8 focus last sunday at my local ford stealers - Bristol ST, Stoke - because I said I would be shopping around, but I am not a time-waster, i will be buying...they refused me a test drive!
I have been to a car supermarket & my local vauxhall stealers with no problems at all, they said I could test drive as many as I wanted! will not be going back...
blimey, Im surprised.. they should be bending over backwards to let u test drive anything u want!

Back on topic, Ive since read a review of the Golf I mentioned and it really wasnt great, their opinion was get a better specced Golf or steer clear. I think I'll be off to a local car supermarket on saturday and getting behind the wheel of a focus and if they have a golf I may as well have a spin.

thanks for all ure comments! very helpful.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom