Goldleader's Gaming History

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by Goldleader80, Aug 23, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Goldleader80

Goldleader80

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +345
    I'm starting this thread as an autobiographical list of games throughout my life. These games range in quality and not all are great but in some small way I have loved them all. I will post a new one every so often and hope to bring back memories for other users and maybe bring to light some games people have never played before.

2. Goldleader80

Goldleader80

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +345
    Tetris

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Tetris was the first game I owned. It came bundled with my first games console the great GameBoy. I remember the GameBoy been released and thinking "I want one of those", I was only 10 at the time and saved my pocket money for months to buy one, at the time I think it was about £70, a lot of money for a 10 year old back in the late 80s. I was the first out of my friends to have one, most people had never even heard of it. A few years later the whole world had one, same story as the Wii!!! Back on topic, Tetris was and still is the most addictive game you will ever play. Its simple in its gameplay which is what made it so accessible to the masses. It was a stroke of genius to have it bundled with the GameBoy and helped launch the handheld around the world. I spent hours playing on Tetris, this was in part down to it been so re-playable and also I couldn't afford any new games for my shiny new GameBoy. Tetris had that pick up and play factor but also the more you played the more lines you wanted to clear and a high score was always the goal. And lets not forget the music, the GameBoy version had three classic tunes and I can still hear them ringing in my brain now. I haven't played the game in years but I know if I were to the memories would come flooding back. These are the marks of great games in my mind no matter the games age you can pick it up and still enjoy the experience.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
  3. Goldleader80

Goldleader80

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +345
    Super Mario Land

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The second game I purchased on my GameBoy and my first introduction to a life of Mario games. Super Mario Land was and still is my fav GameBoy game. Its a traditional platform game in every sense. There is no save and only a certain amount of lives and continues. This didn't make the game hard but didn't give you the chance to restart where you liked. It was and still is one of the very different Mario platforms games, you don't run around Mushroom Kingdom or have to rescue Peach you have to save Daisy, the style of the levels is some what different. But all the usual Mario fun is here like Mushrooms, Flower power ups and Stars. Having just done a little reading on the game it turns out that it wasn't created by the usual Mario creator Shigeru Miyamoto but rather Hiroji Kiyotake, this would explain the difference in style. Also the levels in the sub and plane are very different to anything in any Mario game. Back in the day though I had never played a Mario game so didn't notice any of this, I just loved running and jumping around this world. I thank this game for opening up a door to more Mario fun in the future. If you go and play the game now yes the graphics are very poor but the basic game play is still there and very much a Mario game, and will keep you happy for a couple of hours.

4. Goldleader80

Goldleader80

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +345
    Lemmings

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Around this time in my gaming life I got my second home computer the amazing Amgia 500 (the first was a Commodore 64, but I can't remember any of the games I had for this). Packaged with the new machine was this little beauty. Lemmings was a massive hit back in 1991. And its easy to see why, it's a fun colourful and very enjoyable game that can at times really make you think. At its core it is a puzzle game, get Lemmings from one place to another with different tools to help, but all done with such charm and music to make you hum to. I always remember if you messed up you could blow up all your Lemmings and it was great fun to watch them count down to 0 and blow up and taking out the landscape with it. This was a part of the game that was a first for its time, the ability to manipulate the environment within the game. Making it very interactive not just a level to move through this was one you could destroy.

5. Goldleader80

Goldleader80

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +345
    The New Zealand Story

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This was one of the first Games I got on my Amiga. Looking at it now its a strange looking game and having not played it for about 15 years could be very crap but I remember at the time loving it. I think the cuteness of the game would go against it now but back then it was fun to have animals in sneakers. The game play was basic as most early platforms games were. But this one had the advantage of having different weapons giving it bit of varied play. And unlike Mario you didn't just go from right to left you travelled in all directions. As with most early platform games they were a lot harder than today's standards and this was no different, with no save points you had to work hard to complete the game. Which I did I think or was that with a cheat I don't remember!!!!!!

6. Goldleader80

Goldleader80

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +345
    Sensible World of Soccer

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Good old Sensi. When this game first came out, and my friends all raved about it, but I just didn't get it and didn't like it one bit. The graphics were rubbish and I thought the game play was way to basic. A few years later I got a naughty copy of Sensible World of Soccer and fell in love with the game. The game's strongest points were the things I hated about it at first, the graphics and simple game play make it an endless joy to play over and over again, there is nothing overblown about the game its all about kicking the ball around and trying to get it in the net. We used to have full on days playing this game with leagues and cup competitions. The one player game wasn't as good, but what one player football games are. There is nothing better than running down the wing cutting inside and taking a long range shot from outside the box with a bit of curl on it and see it fly in the top corner as the goalkeeper is helpless to stop it. They don't make games like this anymore, and the photo realistic and slow game play of FIFA have never been a patch on this game.

7. Goldleader80

Goldleader80

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +345
    Cannon Fodder

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Another Sensible Software release, with graphics and style very much the same as Sensible Soccer. It's a hard game to put in a genre, its a war game, its a shoot em up, its a strategy and later a little bit of Sci-Fi. All I know is that it's a fun game to play with simple controls and I still haven't found a game that you control a squad of soldiers with so little effort. The game is littered with little touches of quality for example the way a door or roof flies off an exploding building and can kill you or the grave stones on the hill side between levels. I never played the Mega Drive version but I don't think using a control pad would be as easy as a mouse like on the Amiga. I never completed the game though, it did get harder as it went along and I don't think I had the patience back then. But I tell you what war has never been so much fun!!!!

8. Goldleader80

Goldleader80

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +345
    Sonic the Hedgehog

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Around this time I got sick of my GameBoy and did a very stupid thing and sold it and got myself a Sega Game Gear!!! At the time the Game Gear was amazing because it had a full colour back lit screen. The down side was that most of the games were crap Master System ports and the batteries lasted about 5 minutes. Nevertheless I did get Sonic the Hedgehog with it, this was my first time out with the little blue guy with the red shoes on. The game itself is nowhere near up to the standard of the Mega Drive version however for some reason I loved it. The music from the first level is going round in my head even now. What I found so great about the game was the speed you could run through the level, Mario was never this reckless. Granted it wasn't a thinking man's platform game, it was great to just bomb it as fast as you could to get to the end of a level. On the down side it was a very easy game and I completed it many times (however I do remember also owning Sonic 2 on the Game Gear and that was so hard it wasn't worth playing).

9. Goldleader80

Goldleader80

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +345
    The Chaos Engine/Soilders of Fortune

[​IMG]

Mega Drive cover, I'm discussing the Amiga version here

[​IMG]
    Now i still kept some sense after selling my GameBoy by keeping my Amiga. The Chaos Engine was a classic shooting game for the machine. It was, i think, the first more grown up type of game that I owned. Having built a good rep with Speedball 2 the Bitmap Brothers went on to create this hard edged shooter. It was great in two or one player mode. I loved the variety between the 6 characters you could choose. It was one of the first games to have a real story behind what was going on, not just go and rescue someone, this was a world gone to hell. Also liked the fact that it was set in England as the game was developed in England. This was one of the great things about the Amiga, lots of the games were home grown so they had our humour and style in them. They don't make gems little this any more, most games are over hyped and very much styled in the same way. As a side note I have just found that this game was re-released on Windows Mac and Linux a few years ago, it's in the Mac App store, think I might take a look and see if it still holds up!

10. Goldleader80

Goldleader80

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +345
    Championship Manager/Football Manager

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This game and its sequels has sucked more hours of play out of my life than any other. It is the ultimate Football manager game and for anyone who would love to manage a team this is the place to be. I used to spend whole weekends playing it. Each game I would play as a Premier league team to try and win the league and get the England job or I would start at a lower 3rd (2nd now) division team and work my way up the ladder. No 2 game is the same as you buy different players. One thing that sticks in my mind about the Amiga version was the amount of time it took to create a new game, nearly an hour, which gave you chance to get showered and grab some breakfast before you started to play. Because of this game my wife still doesn't see me for at least a month every year when the new version is released.

11. Goldleader80

Goldleader80

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +345
    Sonic 2

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    So I realised I had made mistake buying a Sega Game Gear, and looked at what I could get in its place. To my surprise I got myself a full on Sega Mega Drive 2 for £150 from Argos with Sonic 2, Columns, World Cup 90, and Super Hang On. I sold the Game Gear for near that price to a friend as it had about 10 games. Thus I went and got my first home games console. Sonic 2 was the game I played on the most I think out of all my Mega Drive games. After playing the Game Gear version this was a totally different experience, the graphics were far better as was the music and the level design was in a different league. Everyone knows what Sonic is, its lets leg it as fast as we can to the end of the stage. Some how Sonic 2 was just the best version of that, I think Sega was at the top of its game here and the series was never to reach these highs again on any system (Sonic Mania is close though). Completed this game many times and had great fun in the 2 player mode running down the tube/bonus levels trying to get the most coins.

12. Goldleader80

Goldleader80

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +345
    Street Fighter 2 Special Champion Edition

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Now I had been a fan of Street Fighter 2 for a long time, my friend had a SNES with the first Street Fighter 2 and enjoyed many days round at his house playing on it. But it wasn't on the Mega Drive until a year later. I was most happy to get this for Xmas with a six button controller. Having loved the game and knowing most of the moves I really got my Street Fighter moves down when I got this version, I played in constantly for months. The game is a simple beat em up idea, kick the crap out of the other person but this was the first beat up em in my view to take it to the next level with complex special moves, combos, and very different fighting styles and skills for most of the characters that you had to master. This made the game very re-playable, once you had mastered one characters moves and specials you moved onto another. Also the two player mode was and still is an endless joy to play with mates. This was my first Street Fighter game but it wasn't the last. I still think this had the best box cover art of any Street Fighter game before and after. And on another note I do remember this game costing about £50 when it first came out, that was a lot of money back in the early 90s and it wasn't the last of the games I had to cost that much, thank god CD came and cut the price of games for good.

13. Goldleader80

Goldleader80

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +345
    Mortal Kombat

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    After having to wait for Street Fighter to be released on the Mega Drive I was most please to have a Mega Drive when Mortal Monday came round as Mortal Kombat on the Mega Drive was very much the better port of the Arcade than the SNES version. As a 12 or 13 year old boy at the time Mortal Kombat was all about the gory and Fatality and the SNES version had none of these but the Mega Drive did with the cheat code. Do you remember cheat codes you don't get them much these days but it was fun going into the Options menu and doing the button sequence to get the gore modes. At the time it was totally new to have real looking graphics in a game and this was the first to do it (or maybe Pit Fighter). The game itself isn't as good a game as Street Fighter 2, it wasn't well made and tested and there are bugs everywhere, but that wasn't the point, this game changed all the rules as to what games could do in terms of targeting an adult market and the content you could put in a game. Yes kids had it and loved it to but in my mind this was the first time the games industry had gone after teenagers and twenty something's with a game. I played this game a lot but I think it makes the list more as what it did for the games industry and opening games and their content out to a wider audience. All I have to say is "Finish Him"

14. Goldleader80

Goldleader80

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +345
    The Legend of Zelda: Links Awakening

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Now I missed my old Game Boy so I went and got myself a new one and got most of the old games I used to have second hand for a very cheap price. My friend had this game called Zelda that I had seen but never played. He lent it to me and a week later I went and got the game for myself. What an experience it was. Never had a game sucked me into such a deep world of story and characters like this had before. The game had everything great level design, music, story, characters, weapons. And this was one of the great things you didn't rush a game like this you enjoyed every part of it, this meant serious game play time to find everything. What I liked about this and all other Zelda games is you start with nothing but build your skills as the game goes on, I had never seen anything like this before, in other games the skills you started with was what you had for the whole game. I have to admit that I never have completed this game, I got to the second to last dungeon, but for some reason I got stuck and never got round to finishing it and the main reason is because I got my next game on the list which took up all my time.

15. Goldleader80

Goldleader80

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +345
    The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    At this time our house was broken into and my Mega Drive and about 20 games were stolen. Now with the insurance money I decided instead of buying the same thing again I would change and buy a SNES. There were games on the SNES I really wanted to play and felt the system had matured at that time and was starting to take over from the Mega Drive as the best on the market. I got a second hand one for the bargain price of £50. Zelda was the first game I got. After loving the Game Boy game I wanted to play the big brother version. And I loved it. It completely sucked me in and after two weeks of solid play I completed it for the first time. This isn't to say it was an easy game, yes it was easier than the Game Boy version which is strange. But I just loved playing it and couldn't stop. There has been loads said about how great this game is so I won't go on anymore. This still ranks in my top 5 games of all time and every couple of years I revisit it and play through it again, it never looses its charm, this is from an age of computer games where not just graphics and set pieces made a game but smart story and great game play were top of the list. And just as a side note I don't think Nintendo have made a better version of Zelda since, which is against popular opinion, but this is Zelda at its best!!!!!!

16. Goldleader80

Goldleader80

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +345
    Super Mario Kart

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This was the start of a lifetime love affair with Nintendo hardware and games. After the great single player of Zelda I wanted some multiplayer fun for my SENS and got this little beauty of a game. I can't put my finger on why this game is so good, for a racing game the tracks aren't that great and you don't go very fast and there is no driving skills involved. But this isn't really a racing game, it's a battle between players with racing as the medium used to set it up. I had played racing games before with weapons but they were usually just rockets on normal cars, which never really worked. This was were Mario Kart struck gold, they had a great list of weapons that could turn the race on its head with the hit of a shell. The simple tracks added to this mayhem of getting weapons and fighting to the front. It meant that people who were crap at racing games could win the race, throwing open the doors to the whole family playing the game. Add in the battle mode for good measure and you have a great all round multi player game that kept us going for years and to this day still gets played in our house with the new kids in the family. None of the sequels to Super Mario Kart have come close to been as good, they all have the basics set down here but with the later releases they made the tracks way too long, which makes the races boring.

17. Goldleader80

Goldleader80

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +345
    Super Mario World

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Having got my SNES second hand in didn't come with Super Mario World like most peoples did. I was never that bothered to be honest as I had never really played any of the Super Mario Bros games before, and having played a Mario game on my Gameboy I didn't think there would be anything for this version to give. One day in the local fleapit games store, I noticed they had Super Mario World going for £15 second hand. At this time second hand games were never under £20 and that was for crap third party games, good Nintendo games were £25 and up. So I took a chance and it was the best gamble I have ever played in my life. Super Mario World is still my favourite game of all time. I have completed the game more times than I can remember and got all 96 roads which I think is the highest. Having never played a console Mario game before I didn't know what to expect but it was just such a joy to play, I never get bored of riding on Yoshi and the sounds he makes or fling with the cape. The level design is a joy and never has a platform game felt so good to control. The music and sound effects are also top class. In terms of where games are now it looks very dated and to a lot of people very childish, however it has dated better than others, Mario 64 for example looks awful. If you have never played this game before I urge you to go and download it from the Virtual Console on the Wii or Wii U or get a second hand SNES or the upcoming SNES Mini and enjoy a simple time when games were so much better and proves you don't have to go around shooting people for a game to be great. This was 2D side scrolling platform games at the top of their game everybody should play and enjoy.

18. Goldleader80

Goldleader80

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +345
    Super Star Wars

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Now been a huge Star Wars fan all my life I had never really played a Star Wars game that was any good and took in all the worlds and characters from the films. Also in the early 90's Star Wars was a little bit of a forgot gem with no word of new films or the series been sold from everything from bog paper to clothes any new Star Wars product was very exciting. Then came Super Star Wars. It had everything a Star Wars fan wanted, all the worlds, characters, sound fx, music and you could finally be Luke with a Lightsaber and run around on the Death Star. And at the time the graphics in this game were amazing. But to be honest the game play wasn't that great and it was one of the hardest games on the SNES with no save points or passwords (until Super Empire Strikes Back), I think to complete it I had to use a cheat code. One of the nice touches I liked about the game was how wipes from the films when changing scenes were used when moving from menus to start of levels. Great game even if it hasn't aged that well.

19. Goldleader80

Goldleader80

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +345
    Mortal Kombat II

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I was still a young teen when this game was released so as a kid I loved the blood and guts this game had on offer and was very excited as the SNES version had blood and was a good port of the arcade. Also I was happy that the game play had been improved a hell of a lot from the first one with smoother controls and not as many glitches in play. It seemed that the development team had toned down the blood and made more of an effort to make a great game. And by god me and my mates played this game to death. As with all Beat em ups multi player is were its at, with a few mates the days just used to fly by playing Mortal Kombat 2. I don't think this game broke any new ground but it was and still is a fun game to play, just love the Fatalities.

20. Goldleader80

Goldleader80

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +345
    Super Street Fighter 2: The New Challengers

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Been a fan of Street Fighter 2 since its first release I played this in an arcade around 93 and couldn't wait for it to hit the consoles. Now there was no internet then so you never knew when a game was to be released, you just had to wait till it turned up in the local games shop. Since I used to live in a small town near Manchester we had one local games shop, Dixons, Woolworths and WH Smiths. So as you can guess we didn't get new releases on time or there wasn't many in the shops and they sold fast. So on a shopping trip to another local town and another local games shop I spotted this game. My eyes lit up until I got closer and noticed it was a USA import and I would need a converter to play it. The game was priced about £25 plus about £25 for the converter to play it, this was way to much money. I was gutted and left the shop to continue my day of shopping. But it ate at me for the rest of the day and I knew I really wanted the game and would find it hard to come by again, so got the money out the bank and headed back to the shop. Went straight to the game only to see another kid with it in his hands. He stood thinking about wheather to buy it or not and in the end put the game down. This was my chance and I was in and paying at the counter before he had chance to turn around and pick the game back up. I was the envy of all my mates and they came round all the time to play it, which I didn't mind as this game was at its best in multiplayer mode. As for the game it wasn't a huge difference from other Street Fighter games, however the graphics were improved and with new moves and the added 4 new characters. For me it was the best version of the Street Fighter 2 series and I missed having a Street Fighter game after my Mega Drive version was stolen. The Street Fighter series has never been better than this with only Street Fighter 4 coming close to the great gameplay.

21. Goldleader80

Goldleader80

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +345
    Donkey Kong Country

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    "OMG look at the 3D graphics" Was a line I heard from many people when this game was released. At the time nothing this good had been seen before. Yes we had had 3D sort of games with Star Wing and others, but to me they are looked really blocky and crap. This was the first home console game to get some sort of 3D graphics in games right. Rare did a great job of re-inventing Donkey Kong and giving him a world to explore that was fresh and different, with a host of great new characters to go with him. Yes the game plays very much the same as Super Mario World but it looks and feels so much different. This was one of the only games I brought brand new for my SNES and paid full price of around £50-£60 for it. It was worth it, the game itself wasn't that hard but getting 100% was a mission that took me some time and in the end to find the last few % I had to use a guide. This was the start of a great run for Rare and I did love how their games were somehow different to Japen and USA output. Its great having an English company make games as I said before, such a shame they sold out to Microsoft.

22. Goldleader80

Goldleader80

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +345
    Unirally

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Unirally is not a well know game to most people. It came near the end of the SNES life time for me, and was meant to show that the SNES could create a fast paced game like Sonic. In one player mode the game does get a bit dull but get some mates round and have a league going and you have an endlessly addictive game. And boy was the game fast, it was like Sonic on acid. I do remember playing this for hours at the weekend with my mates and also it was very frustrating when you didn't win. This is one of those games I remember playing loads but don't remember that much about the game and how to play it, will have to dig out the SNES and buy a copy off ebay.

23. Goldleader80

Goldleader80

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +345
    Super Bomberman 2

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This was the last game I had for my first SNES, and what a little gem it was. Like Unirally the one player mode was a bit dull but again multi player was were it was at. This was the first game that had a 4 player option that I had, so I got myself a multitap and hooked up 4 pads and away we went for days of bombing fun. Most people must have played some form of Bomberman and the idea of the game is simple, blow everyone up with a bomb, sounds easy but trust me it isn't. Most of the time just trapping and blowing yourself up will do it. The power ups in this game were great, like the one to throw bombs and one to give you full screen blasts were such fun. This is what I like about older games, a simple game like this can take away hours of your life. I mean look the screen doesn't even change but I had more enjoyment out of this than the photo real worlds of most new games.

24. Goldleader80

Goldleader80

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +345
    UFO: Enemy Unknown

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Now this is where I somehow gave away my SNES to someone at school and lost interest with console games, and I can't remember why. Teenagers do strange things. However I still had my trusty Amiga and this was the game to keep me going for a long time. My mates had been playing this game for a few months but I thought it looked very dull and couldn't get into it. But my mates made me play it and after a few hours I was hooked. We were all going through the X-Files alien stage of the mid 90s at this point, and this game linked into that very well. The game is a one player strategy but we used to have about 3 or 4 people playing, each one would pick a character and decide where they moved during missions. This added to the game as we used to fight about who had what weapon and which way each of us was going. It was a strange way to play a strategy game but it worked and we enjoyed playing this game very much and did in fact complete it. Also owned the game on the PS1 and the sequel X-Com Terror from the Deep, but none compare to this version on the Amiga. I am yet to play the recent updated version, don't have the time to put into it although the iPad version called Aliens versus Humans is a great version of the original.

25. Goldleader80

Goldleader80

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +345
    Dogfight

[​IMG]
    This was a little demo type of game on the Amiga that was a very simple in graphics and game play but boy was it good fun with 3 other mates. The aim of the game was to fly around the screen and shoot each other, but the fun thing was the screen never moved and it took some skill to fly the plane, it would stall and the handling of the thing was very poor this made it so much fun trying to get away from your mate by dive bombing into the ground and trying to pull out at the last minute but getting it wrong and ending up hitting the ground. Also the fact that if you hit each other you would die. which made it fun if you stalled your plane and went spinning into the ground and take your mate with you by hitting him. There was never a winner and you never got any points so there was no high score but it was so much fun for 4 of you to play (2 on keys and 2 on joysticks, none of these LAN parties or online back then).

26. Goldleader80

Goldleader80

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +345
    Tekken

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    After giving away my SNES I had about a year without a games console and really missed it. So when the Playstation was released I thought I would get one. I had never bought a brand new console from a company that was yet to prove itself in the gaming market. At around £300 it was a big risk! I would never do this now and would give most consoles a good 6 months to see how it plays out. Tekken was the first game I got with the console, and I was amazed by it. At the time the 3D graphics were amazing and the game controlled so well. This wasn't the first 3D fighting game I had played that honer went to Virtual Fighter, but I never liked Segas fighting game, it just didn't play very well and had dull characters. Tekken on the other hand felt like the new Street Fighter 2 in my eyes and kept me and my mates happy for a good few months. Although this game did bring with it the idea of button bashing to win and there was no skill to some of the moves like in other Beat'em ups. Still the dawn of 3D on home consoles had begun (for better and for worse)

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • List
  27. theprestige

theprestige

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,459
    Now we're talking :) Tekken was king when it came out but definitely got bettered significantly by the time the 3rd (And best) game came out.

28. Goldleader80

Goldleader80

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +345
    Yeah looking at that pic of the game now it looks rubbish compared to today's standards but back in 1995 it was like nothing else. Never had Tekken 3, I had Tekken 2 which was a big step up and refined the game in many ways.

29. Goldleader80

Goldleader80

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +345
    Destruction Derby

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    It's fair to say that the Playstation went straight for teenage gamers, and this was for me the first game to do it. My gaming experience up to this point had mainly been fantasy worlds in most games I had played. This was something else this was a real life experience. The game set out to look real and feel real when playing. I had never played a racing game were your car had damage meaning you couldn't hit walls or other cars on the track. In the past you just bombed around the track hitting anything and not worrying about it. Destruction Derby turned that on its head and winning the race was only half the battle, keeping the car in good enough shape to get it to the end was the hard part. This was the main appeal of the game, playing on the bowl track and just hitting other cars and seeing your car change with each hit was such a new thing. This felt like a really interactive experience and made the game feel more real. With this and Tekken to me the 3D age of home computer games had been born, although not fully matured yet.

30. theprestige

theprestige

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,459
    One thing i've learned is that video games date a lot faster and quicker than films do. I guess because it's heavily reliant of the technology of the time.

Ha, that's interesting because while I played Tekken 2, I never owned it. I owned Tekken 3 though I thought that was a huge step up from Tekken 2! :D spent all my money at the arcade and thought I had died and gone to heaven when my mum got me a PSOne with Tekken 3. The improvements post Tekken 3 have been marginal imo.