Golden Hour shot

Paranormalist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
During the 'golden hour' this evening I took this shot of Castle Leslie in Co.Monaghan, Ireland.
Having been at photography for nearly a year the main thing I've come to realise is that photography is all about the light.

Hope you enjoy.

B&W conversion in Photoshop with film grain added and sharpened using high pass filter plus vignette.

I am troubled!

As you say light is everything, but by converting and adding grain, it looks like it was taken at night with a whacking great spotlight on it.

Isn't it a sandstone building whose colours would look good in that natural light?

C'mon lets the the original! :D

I am troubled!

As you say light is everything, but by converting and adding grain, it looks like it was taken at night with a whacking great spotlight on it.

Isn't it a sandstone building whose colours would look good in that natural light?

C'mon lets the the original! :D

Look at how soft the light is compared to the harsh brightness of the mid-day. I like how it 'glows' in B&W.
Might upload the colour version sometime.

I have to say that I agree with Mr Horse regarding the confusion. When I read the initial text I was expecting to see some lovely glowing light but then to see a mono conversion disappointed somewhat. By converting to mono you have lost all of the excitement of the shot IMO. I would like to see the colour original.

Ditto MrG, I too was expecting a lovely glowing golden colour on the building then saw a grainy B&W shot :(

Come on fella, lets see the original :)

I couldn't agree more with whats been said already. The photo looks like it could have been a nice shot.
Not sure what's going on with the grain either.
Stop tinkering, and lets see the original :)

The bars/gate in the colour shot don't do it for me. IMO it would have looked nicer shooting between the bars. Are the bars vertical? They look about +5 degrees.
I (think!) I can kind'a see what you you trying to do, showing the Grand House behind tall gates, but I don't think it works, sorry. Maybe just me, and and I'm no expert.

Thats much better, the colour version...

If you want to PP this, then I would..

- The bottom section looks a little dark, so if you want to do some PP you could try lighening the bottom of the photo.

- Think this would look nicer a little warmer, to bring out the glow a little. You can do this by increasing the WB or applying a warming filter.

I say I would, because it's what I would do, and it's not neccessary right!

It's actually a very pleasing photo "as is" :)

The colour shot is better,the b&w one is too gritty,the railings spoil the other shot.

I couldn't agree more with whats been said already. The photo looks like it could have been a nice shot until it was mangled in PP. Not sure what's going on with the grain either.
Stop tinkering, and lets see the original :)

The bars/gate in the colour shot don't do it for me. IMO it would have looked nicer shooting between the bars. Are the bars vertical? They look about +5 degrees.
I (think!) I can kind'a see what you you trying to do, showing the Grand House behind tall gates, but I don't think it works, sorry. Maybe just me, and and I'm no expert.

Thats much better, the colour version...

If you want to PP this, then I would..

- The bottom section looks a little dark, so if you want to do some PP you could try lighening the bottom of the photo.

- Think this would look nicer a little warmer, to bring out the glow a little. You can do this by increasing the WB or applying a warming filter.

I say I would, because it's what I would do, and it's not neccessary right!

It's actually a very pleasing photo "as is" :)

The colour shot is better,the b&w one is too gritty,the railings spoil the other shot.

The B&W play between the light and dark suits my style and the building is supposed to be haunted in certain rooms. The grain is again going with the haunted feel of things.

The railings shot was a spontaneous thing where I got the idea to throw the railings out of focus.

Cheers all.

Well i like the B+W. OK the grain could be dampened down a bit, but i cant stop staring at the window in the middle of the shot, the shadow from it is great.

nice one, sod the rest :D

So much for contructive criticism :)

I was about to say that I've had a quick edit of your shot and if you wanted to see it I would upload it but I think I'll steer clear...

Steve

One photo, two different pictures. I find the B&W to be more atmospheric.
As to which I would choose if I could hang only one on my wall, I don't know. It would depend what kind of mood I was in.

mangled in pp? you really are an arsewhole

so ban me... :)

Calm down mate.

People will always have differing views on shots posted and some may not be to your liking, but, as I have always said, it's what pleases you that matters most so take the criticism on the chin, learn from it or ignore it, it really makes no difference.

@Para - PP is 'marmite'. Not worth getting banned over :eek:?

FWIW I too thought a 'golden' colour version would look better than B&W but having seen both I prefer your conversion. I wouldn't mind seeing how others have processed it though.

No problem. However, it seems that by attaching the image, a lot of the contrast is stripped from the image so I've re-edited and added more contrast so it looks 'right' here!

Just an idea really to bring out the excellent light in the original shot.

Para, if you'd rather I didn't post an edit of your shot let me know and I'll remove it.

Cheers
Steve

Attachments

• Edit2.jpg
    Edit2.jpg
    221.2 KB · Views: 83
No problem. However, it seems that by attaching the image, a lot of the contrast is stripped from the image so I've re-edited and added more contrast so it looks 'right' here!

Thanks, as someone learning it's great to see the before, afters and other's afters to see what is possible after the shot is taken.

Is it somehow possible to get all three on the same screen? Just so we can compare one to the others?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom