1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Going XBox Live Questions

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by Gizmo 76, Nov 2, 2003.

1. Gizmo 76

Gizmo 76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +522
    Hi all,

I've owned a Xbox since day of release and i'm going to connect up to Xbox Live due to the release of PGR2.

At the moment i'm online with 'BT Broadband'(not 'Openworld') which uses a different IP address everytime i connect (dynamic or something!?!). Is this ok to use with XBox Live?, anyone else connected with this supplier??

Fingers Crossed, If that's all ok I would like it setup in my bedroom which is no where near my PC. What equipment would i need to do this?? I have a telephone socket in my room so that's not an issue, there's no way I can have it going through my PC because that's downstairs!!

Many thanks in advance,

Giz. :confused: :)

2. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,794
    I'm with BTOpenWorld, but they too use different IP addresses.

And XBox Live works fine with it. :smashin:

It will for you too.

3. Iain Shields

Iain Shields

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I'm with BT Broadband mate and it works fine, no problems at all.

I got one of those routers out of Argos, the one with 1 USB port and 1 Erthnet port at about £55 or so I think (it lets me have the X-Box and the PC connected at the same time). You could do the same if you don't mind having a run of cat 5 cable from the PC up to the X-Box, if not, you could use a wireless gateway connected to the router and a wireless access point up at the X-Box but going wireless is more expensive...

Try doing a search on this forum for broadband, router etc. and you should get some good results, also, a look through this site should get you most of your answers, check out their "review" and "message boards" sections, the message boards have a section on BT Broadband which is good to search through...

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/

Hope this helps...

Regards,
    Iain.

4. Malone

Malone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Hi, this is not the cheapest option but for me it was the easiest!!
    I bought a Linksys Wireless Router at

http://uk.insight.com/apps/productpresentation/index.php?product_id=LNKNA036VU

And a Wireless Bridge to connect to XBox or the Network adapter on the PS2 (downstairs)

http://uk.insight.com/apps/productpresentation/index.php?product_id=LNK776582

And finally this modem which supports USB for my upstairs PC and a ethernet port to connect to the Linksys Wireless router (which sends signal to WET11 bridge downstairs)

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=48448

This setup was simplicity itself no software required for the router or bridge and hey presto it all worked straight out the box !!
    Hope this helps...........

Matt.............

Oh and im on BTBroadband too....

5. Gizmo 76

Gizmo 76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +522
    Thanks for all your advice people i'm looking into all my options, will get it all sorted and connected over the next couple of weeks.

Will let you know when i'm up and running!! :clap:

Cheers again,

Giz.:D