Going without Sky+

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by gc27, Apr 1, 2005.

1. gc27

gc27

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having had the installer in today I've been told that because I'm in a block of flats a sky+ installation would cost over £400 as extra wires will have to be run a whole few meters or something :rolleyes: I told him to put standard sky in instead but now I need a way to record programs while I'm out. I've read threads here and in other places that imply that I might be able to find a PVR type device that will automatically record anything that I set to 'autoview' in Sky which sounds ideal but working out which devices support this is proving impossible!
    The most likely candidate appears to be the Panasonic DMR-E85. Can anyone confirm that this will do what I want? Alternatively can anyone recommend anything else?

2. bigiain

bigiain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    works fine with my Panasonic E55 DVD recorder - I presume the E85 would do the same, but I don't know for sure.

It worked with both my previous panasonic sky box and my current pace box.

You just select the program in the EPG, put the sky box to standby and activate the "ext link" feature on the DVD recorder. The sky box sends a signal down the scart cable to tell the E55 to power up and start recording -you've got to connect the correct scart sockets but the manual was clear enough.

I don't record a vast amount, but I've used it about 10 times over the last 3 months without a fail.

There are two problems

1 - the E55 takes a few seconds to start up after it receives the signal from the sky box (goes through a self check then checks the DVD RAM disk). This means you sometimes miss the first few seconds of the program.

2 - Becasue of the scart cable arrangement, you can't record the RGB signal from the sky box - you are limited to the reduced quality composite signal.