Question Going Wi-Fi for the first time

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by Franco50, Dec 31, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Franco50

Franco50

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    My internet usage tends to be slightly 'old school' in that I have a desktop PC with an ethernet wired connection to a Linksys ADSL modem. I am quite happy with this situation but I have just bought my first 'smart' TV and am thinking about utilisting it's wi-fi capability. I will obviously need a wireless router which would replace the modem and either a suitable PCI card for the PC or an external USB connected device. The ethernet port on the PC is built into the motherboard so I would have thought that would be the best place to connect any external device but would require a USB to RJ45 adapter. The PC and router will be in the spare bedroom and the TV will be in the lounge (small bungalow so not much distance apart).

Basically I want to know the best option for relatively good wireless connection between PC and router, bearing in mind I live in a rural area and the broadband connection is usually no better than 2-3Mbps.

- PCI card for the PC?
    - USB attached device?
    - USB device but attached to ethernet port via adapter?

Hope this request makes sense to someone. :)

2. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,532
    I'm not quite sure what you mean on the third option. If you're going from ethernet to wi-fi (what would usually be called a bridge) then where does USB come into it? Do you want something powered from USB instead of an external power adapter?

There are still a few PCI wi-fi cards knocking around but most have gone PCI-E these days, you'll probably get something more up to date with USB if you don't mind the extra space it takes up.

It's worth pointing out that wireless routers do include ethernet ports. Unless you're putting the router somewhere else in the room, or just want to get rid of the cable, then you can continue connecting the same way that you do now.

You don't mention any usage outside sharing the internet so it sounds like just about everything would meet your requirements.

3. Crafty

Crafty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +687
    You could just buy a wifi access point, plug it in to your existing router and use that to support the TV, leaving your PC set up as it is now.

Something like this should work https://www.amazon.co.uk/Universal-Extender-Broadband-UK-TL-WA855RE/dp/B017YPKZC6

Manual here, http://static.tp-link.com/1910011920_TL-WA850RE_V3V4V5_UG.pdf page 20 has a section "Transform your existing wired network in to a wireless one"

If you wanted to go wireless with other devices an access point will support multiple connections via wifi.

4. Franco50

Franco50

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Endless Waves - thanks for your reply.

All of the external wireless devices I see appear to connect to the PC via USB but I wasn't sure how well these would work and thought a better option would be to have one of these with an RJ45 connection to utilise the ethernet port on the motherboard as this would be freed up when I dispensed with the ethernet cable but it seems these don't exist. My thinking was to connect the USB device to the ethernet port using an adapter (see below)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Soconic-60...14742814&sr=1-4&keywords=pc+wireless+internet

Female USB to Male RJ45 8P8C Adaptor Connector T5L8 R5L5 | eBay

If the ones for the USB ports are known to work well then fair enough I will go for one of those. I just thought utilising the existing ethernet port may have been a better option.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
  5. lowmans100

lowmans100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +467
    Why not just replace your modem with a modem/wifi router? If you ask your internet provider they may supply one for you, you could then connect the PC wired, as you do today and use wifi for your TV.

If your ISP will not supply a wifi router/modem then you could get one from the classifieds, there is one here for £30 and another here for £50 there will be others to choose from.

6. Franco50

Franco50

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Crafty - thanks for your reply. I'll have a more detailed look at your suggestion shortly (the link to the instruction manual doesn't work I'm afraid) and I'll see what is involved.

7. Crafty

Crafty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +687
    You're quite right, it doesn't. They must have disabled direct linking. You can get to it from this page: Download for TL-WA855RE | TP-Link United Kingdom

Short version: network cable from router to this thing, tv connects to this via wifi.

8. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,532
    I haven't seen those USB to CAT5 adapters before but my guess would be that they're designed so you can use installed networking cable as USB cable instead.

They wouldn't function to do what you want to do. USB devices are dependant on software running on your computer to function, they're not like a one way protocol like audio or video transmission that can easily be converted.

If you wanted to connect to a wireless network via your ethernet port you'd buy a wi-fi bridge or something with that functionality.

Generally the limitation on USB adapters is their aerial, they're often small and compact for easy laptop use. They use the same chips and so on as other forms of adapter. If it's in the same room it's not a big deal though, so if you don't need any speed either I'd just buy whatever's on offer. Although I'd probably go for something likely to offer a little in the way of after sales support such as TP-link or Netgear rather than an unbranded one from Amazon.

I would just replace the modem with a router with built in modem, as it's not much more money. An access point will only work if you have a non-wireless router. If it is just a modem then it won't work.

9. Franco50

Franco50

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    So would something like this be suitable?
    TP-LINK TL-MR3420 3G/3.75G Wireless N Router 6935364051495 | eBay

10. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,532
    Only if you used your current modem.

It doesn't have a built in modem and you're paying extra for compatibility with USB mobile broadband modems.

Unless you think you might swap to a mobile broadband package in future then at that price I would go for something like the TD-W9970.

That is a similar model but drops the mobile broadband modem support in favour of a built in ADSL and VDSL modem (the latter is used for FTTC/'Fibre Optic' packages). It's also a similar price, Argos and Tesco both currently have it for £30.

The next model up would be something like the VR400 which supports the latest 'ac' wi-fi standard, but I'd be inclined to start with the cheaper one. In the very unlikely even that the wi-fi isn't fast enough for your use you can always return it.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
  11. Franco50

Franco50

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Many thanks for all the info mate. I have no intention of moving to a mobile broadband package so will follow up on your recommendation of the TD-W9970. I'm just glad I raised this post as I'd probably have ended buying the wrong thing! :)