Going vegetarian

Is it possible to be a fat vegetarian? :confused:
Excessive calories are excessive calories regardless of where they come from

How would this be possible? Your 'counter-argument' is based on someone elses information. Pretty much everything we collectively 'know' as a society is based on someone elses information.

So then is it not possible that someone elses information that has been passed down from generation to generation regarding the eating of meat could possibly be incorrect and in fact it is unhealthy for us?

So then is it not possible that someone elses information that has been passed down from generation to generation regarding the eating of meat could possibly be incorrect and in fact it is unhealthy for us?

If we need meat how come going back about 2 years ago there was a program on BBC1 where this guy has been studying vegetarian diets for 20 years and at the end of the study he found no evidence to say vegetarians are unhealthy against meat eaters

Spot the irony and win a prize! ;)

Spot the irony and win a prize! ;)

What i am saying is we all rely on someone elses information and its down to you what you want to believe or what you don’t, personally i don’t believe we need meat to live healthy diets but that’s just me. I have drawn this conclusion from people i know that have been vegan for over 30 years of their life and still live healthy and active lifestyles and their doctors have confirmed this by regular checkups

The guy on BBC1 did a 20 year study on vegetarian diets and like i said he found no evidence to say a vegetarian vs a meat eater is unhealthy.

Whos to say its right or wrong i don’t know, so believe what you will.........

What i am saying is we all rely on someone elses information and its down to you what you want to believe or what you don’t, personally i don’t believe we need meat to live healthy diets but that’s just me. I have drawn this conclusion from people i know that have been vegan for over 30 years of their life and still live healthy and active lifestyles and their doctors have confirmed this by regular checkups

The guy on BBC1 did a 20 year study on vegetarian diets and like i said he found no evidence to say a vegetarian vs a meat eater is unhealthy.

Whos to say its right or wrong i don’t know, so believe what you will.........

I agree with you that meat is not essential for a healthy diet, but the way you're going about making your point isn't really helping your cause, saying you don't trust other peoples information, yet saying you saw something on the BBC about it.
Meat is the easy and tasty way for a lot of people to meet their nutritional needs. It has become part of the staple diet for many people, mostly because of convenience and social reasons...

Well i've been vegetarian for 5 years now and could never go back to eating meat. I find i have lots more energy now as i've cut out alot of the bad saturated fats and now have a good balanced diet. Vegetarianism isn't for everyone though it's like everything else in life you have to want to do it. As for food there's plenty stuff out there that you can eat but do some research first and if you find that becoming vegetarian is right for you don't let anyone put you off. People choose what they want to do in life so at the end of the day if you feel it's not for you then that's cool as well as it can only be your decision. Do your research, give it a go then decide if it's right for you ;)

I've never understood some people who class themselves as vegetarian and then go on to order fish at a restaurant.:suicide:

I mean if you are 'ethically' not eating terrestrial meat then don't you realise that fish suffer far more than anything else in harvesting?:confused:

I wouldn't touch fish because of the appalling practice of trawler fishing.

To be honest, I've never understood the vegetarians who blame the unethical treatment of animals as their motivation for ditching meat.

If you were to stop eating, using or buying any product that didn't involve some kind of unethical treatment of human beings, you would very quickly limit your lifestyle considerably.

Virtually no branded clothing that doesn't rely on far eastern exploitation

Pretty much any vegetable or fresh food product from a supermarket - where farmers are wrung dry by the buyers to ensure they make virtually no profit.

Lets not even get started on anything that requires oil :rolleyes:

Hence not using a supermarket mate. :thumbsup:

Been a vegan for 20 years and a veggie for 10 years prior to that (showing my age now:eek:).
Have two kids and a wife that are Vegetarian and almost Vegan through their own choice not forced on them by me.
We are the most healthy looking family in my circle of friends. I cant remember the last time I had a cold. My son is turning into a real athlete as he loves sports.
Theres a lot of talk about getting enough protein. It's not about getting enough in the western world it is about are we getting too much.
Being vegan opened my diet up to more choice than the people I know who eat meat as you have to experiment and explore more.
Not a lifestyle for everyone and I dont critisie those carnivores but veganism is the best "diet" in the world and the most efficient way of consuming foods on the planet.
No I dont wear sandles and hug trees.

I said please backup what you have said without relying on someone elses information as in please give me proof that we need meat?

If we need meat how come going back about 2 years ago there was a program on BBC1 where this guy has been studying vegetarian diets for 20 years and at the end of the study he found no evidence to say vegetarians are unhealthy against meat eaters

Sorry, perhaps I wasn't clear - What I meant was that we get many of the important proteins, minerals and vitamins we need from meat, fish and dairy products. They are of course available elsewhere, but anybody wishing to change their diet so significantly should do a little research to ensure they are still getting a balanced diet.

Whether we are designed to eat meat is besides the point - and it is of course down to personal choice. The vegetarians that don't eat meat because they don't like the thought of eating dead flesh make much more sense to me - That's something I can identify with.

It's those that suggest that they will stop eating meat because of the way animals are bred, stored, killed etc that don't make any sense to me. It's not like less animals will be slaughtered because of your choice not to eat it. I'd guess that 99% of those with this belief don't actually take any action to ensure better conditions for these animals, they just choose the I'm not involved, therefore i don't have to feel guilty attitude. In fact, arguably, buying organic ,locally produced free range meat will have a more positive effect on the problem, because this will encourage more food producers to go down this road, rather than the industrial, battery farming that our 'we want it cheap' attitude has created.

I still say that eating good quality meat and dairy products, along with plenty of fruit and vegetables in moderation is the best way to ensure a balanced diet. Yes, you can do this with a vegetarian and vegan diet, but it requires much more effort and thought.

My Vegan friend eats a lot of Marmite...and beetroot sandwiches.

My parents turned vegetarian about 25 years ago.
At the time, there were EU rules about abattoir size being implemented, which meant the local one (where their farmer friend took his cattle and where they bought meat) would have to close. This means animals travelling, and the stress chemicals released on the journey prior to slaughter have a detrimental effect on the meat quality.
Meat was an expensive part of the meal (I believe "proper" meat as opposed to burgers/sausages/mince/chicken still is) and most of the meal constituted vegetables anyway, so the eventual absense of meat was of little consequence.
In the early days, there were few "meat alternatives", but that has changed with Quorn and Linda McCartney etc. We use those, but not to extreme. However meals which do not include a meat alternative often have cheese.

I was a few years ago diagnosed diabetic, but lack of meat in diet was no influence on that - I have always loved cakes/chocolate. My family certainly aren't unhealthy, and if you do believe the word of 3rd-party studies, vegetarians have a lot of potential health benefits re. cancer, heart.

Yep last time i checked chocolate didnt have meat in :) But obviously for vegans would be near impossible:confused: to be fat.
Proper dark chocolate not stuff like Bournville is dairy free and packed with calories so are nuts/seeds, chips, hummus and of course alcohol (yes I know some beers etc are not Vegan).
These as well as other foods have to be limited in moderation or even being Vegan you will gain weight.

fail-owned-carnivore-win.jpg

The best advice i can give for anyone wanting to turn vegetarian/vegan is to do research online and also only talk to people who are vegetarian/vegan as they are the only ones who really know what they are talking about :thumbsup: You'll get knowhere talking to people who are not vegetarian/vegans as they don't really understand the benefits that these diets etc can give :D All i know is that from a personal point of view it is one of the best choices i've ever made in my life and have no intention of stopping no matter what anybody thinks about it :rotfl: I can asure you that you can get all the protien, Vitamins and minerals that your body needs without including meat and dairy you just have to look and experiment more that's all. As i said before it's all down to a personal choice whatever you decide to do and you may find it's not right for you but untill you try it then don't knock it :lesson:

Brian

Last edited:
Quite a few of my friends have turned 'veggie' over the years, some sticking with it and some missing burgers way too much.
I would say that everyone I know put thier choice down to ethical reasons and most of the people in my circle of friends were young women with 'tolerent' partners. (A sneaky Big Mac here and there)

Quite a few found it to be an expensive way of life as organic produce also crept into the equation, if you wanted any degree of choice.
Of those that have stuck with it, it still amuses me that they wear leather shoes and belts all the time and don't always crave hessian footwear etc.

Personally I don't like to see of be aware of any animals suffering so I choose to perhaps ignore that side of food production just as I perhaps choose to ignore the pleas of the millions of starving people around the world that do not have a chioce in what they eat.
Folk in poorer parts of the world do not have the luxury of choice and they are vgetarians through cicumstance only. They will eat anything they can get.

Quite a few of my friends have turned 'veggie' over the years, some sticking with it and some missing burgers way too much.
I would say that everyone I know put thier choice down to ethical reasons and most of the people in my circle of friends were young women with 'tolerent' partners. (A sneaky Big Mac here and there)

Quite a few found it to be an expensive way of life as organic produce also crept into the equation, if you wanted any degree of choice.
Of those that have stuck with it, it still amuses me that they wear leather shoes and belts all the time and don't always crave hessian footwear etc.

Personally I don't like to see of be aware of any animals suffering so I choose to perhaps ignore that side of food production just as I perhaps choose to ignore the pleas of the millions of starving people around the world that do not have a chioce in what they eat.
Folk in poorer parts of the world do not have the luxury of choice and they are vgetarians through cicumstance only. They will eat anything they can get.
Your intitled to your opinions mate and for that you get respect :thumbsup: This type of question is very passionate from all sides which has to be taken into account so let's hope we don't get into a slagging match of who is wrong and right in this mater :thumbsdow The OP is mearly seeking advice and guidance on becoming vegetarian/vegan so that's all that can really be given i feel. We'll all see hopefully what he decides ?

Brian

i remember watching a programme on tv a few weeks ago about vegetarians who drink there own urine.........i cant remember the exact reason or what you call these people (go on ;) ) but it was something to do with being 'good for you'... :suicide:

All this has put me in the mood for a big juicy steak tonight. I will have some chips, mushrooms and onion rings to keep everyone happy :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom